Lisa Diagnosis

Guest LANDOLISA

Guest LANDOLISA

I had been Struggling with having to have LISA euthanized on May 6, 2009. Dr. Galvao of OSU stated that I could contact him after 30 days if still struggling with this decision and they should have the testing(autopsy) results back. I contacted him via email, cause I still can not verbally talk to anyone about her with out breaking down.

This was his response...

Dear Mr. Fluharty:

Again, I am sorry for your loss. I can imagine how tough it must have been for you. We have the results for the autopsy and unfortunately Lisa had metastatic gastric carcinoma. This is a very invasive (malignant type of tumor) which offers very poor prognosis. I think you did the right thing. This cancer had already metastasized (spread) to the duodenum (proximal small intestines), adjacent lymph nodes, and her left leg (cause for her lameness). This was already very advanced and the cancer had invaded most of her stomach. Unfortunately, there wasn't really anything we could have done for her besides putting her out of her misery.

I wanted to say that I really appreciate your option for the autopsy because that has also given me closure to her case in the sense that I made the right recommendation and that our assessment of her situation was accurate.

Even though this still comforts me, I still miss her greatly... :weep She was my first grey.

Guest KennelMom

I'm sorry :grouphug Hopefully, having some solid answers helps ease the guilt many of us feel when we have to say goodbye. It's never easy :(

Guest jenznaz

I know the extreme pain and loss you're feeling right now...I just lost my first and only grey-baby...please know even though it doesn't seem like it right now, the tears will lessen...

hugs,

Jen

Guest Energy11

GREAT vet! According to what he said, you DID DO the RIGHT thing!

That is NO comfort, right now, but your baby would have SUFFERED, had you not done what you did for her.

She IS waiting for you, ... I am sure!

Love and hugs! Dee and The Five

Guest sheila

I know what you mean when you say you struggle with your decision to euthanize. Even when I have known that it is the best and most humane choice I can make, it still feels like I am murdering my best friend.

I lost my Kiowa 2 yrs ago and I still think about him often.

Guest trevdog

I'm so sorry for your loss....I hope it helps ease the guilt some that you have an answer and know you did the right thing by your girl.

I know it still hurts though.

I am so sorry for your loss. I understand the pain completely. I know when I had to make the choice to let Scarlett go I literally felt that I was choosing to kill my best friend. Knowing it is right intellectually, and feeling it is right emotionally are far two different things. I am glad you wrote back to the doctor for the findings of the autopsy. Having concrete answers will hopefully help you to heal.

Don't let Lisa be your last greyhound. Give all that love to another houndie and you will still be loving Lisa.

I hope you start to feel better soon. I know how hard it is.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish I could say that I can't relate, but having having had to make the decision to euthanize my Loca on June 1, 2009, I can. Loca was my second grey but she was my wild child and I miss her more than I can describe. Additionally, although I don't regret my decision, it's been a struggle coming to terms with it. I didn't have an autopsy completed because I guess I didn't want to know. I wouldn't have been able to deal with the possibility that the vets who diagnosed her could have been wrong.

I think the 2.5 weeks since losing Loca have been one of the most miserable, emotionally wrenching and isolating times I've ever experienced. I can't talk about it or to fully feel the loss, and it's hard to find people who are willing to provide the emotional support that I feel like I need.

I hope things get better for you and that you can find some peace knowing that, with Lisa's findings and prognosis, you definitely made the most humane decision. She will always be in your heart :grouphug

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest IrskasMom

It is always a very painful Decision we have to make . I am so very sorry for your Loss . Rest assured , you did the right

thing for your beloved LISA . Hugs to you :f_pink:grouphug:f_pink:grouphug:f_pink

Sorry--I feel your pain--I lost my boy (Poots) to intestinal cancer (adenocarcinoma) back in Feb. I did everything I could but, somethings can't be fixed and you need to release them from the earthly pains. It hurts to the core but, letting them go is the final act of kindness--they deserve that final gift. Please consider adopting again---you will be able to love again.

I believe that so many of us can relate to what you're feeling. The closure that email brings, does not lessen the pain of losing her.

I, like so many others, had to make that decision and the guilt and the wondering after was something I can't even explain.

But I also believe that even though there is no doubt we are doing the right thing for them, there will still be guilt. It's like we question the right to play God.

So, I would expect you know you did what was right for your girl, now you are left with the pain and the feeling of a huge hole in your heart.

I hope that you will find some comfort here

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest GentleHugs

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is the right thing to do. I know that all too well myself and I know I'm not alone either. I lost my Jackie in May 2007. She wasn't my first hound but she was my heart, my soul, my world. There was nothing I could do when I saw the size of the tumor that was on her heart. It was massive - almost the size of a tennis ball. She showed no signs of being ill until that night I took her into the e-vet when she almost collapsed in my arms. She had no pulse at all in her back legs and when I asked her if it was time - she looked at me and kissed me. I knew. It broke my heart to let her go but when cancer strikes the heart - there's nothing - no prayer - no white light - no nothing that anyone on the face of this earth can do. I had to let her go no matter how much it hurt me - I put her before me. I made a promise to her that I would never let her suffer and I kept my promise. She lacked 10 days of turning 12.

In my opinion, you did the right thing by Lisa. I know your heart is hurting tremendously now but there will come a day when you will be able to remember her and smile. It might take some time - trust me it's been 2 years since Jackie passed and I still cry but I also know I'm never without her in spirit form. She's in my heart. You can always remember what Lisa taught you, too, to help you get past the pain of losing her. Jackie taught me patience and diligence. She also taught me how to be strong emotionally.

My heart goes out to you and I hope you can find some comfort here. Your Lisa is with all of our hounds that have passed before her and she flies on golden angel wings now. She's free from suffering and pain. She's whole again and she will remain with you forever in your heart until you meet again.