Old Age Is Catching Up

Darla is getting old, she is 13 now, about 4 years ago she broke a toe (running taking a corner too fast), and she has not been fond of that leg ever since. She uses it, but sometimes gingerly, her teeth are terrible, most of them have been pulled by now, a few months ago she had a UTI, that was treated twice, she still pees in the house about once a day, she used to be so super-housebroken. All rugs have been replaced with washable ones, the car has been replaced with one lower to the ground, she had a tough time time with the CR-V, so I got her a Fit. She no longer eats all her food and is losing weight, now one of her back legs is wobbely, some days she is literally on two legs, the other two are just for balance, she can't make the five steps down from the deck anymore, so now I walk her out front (only two tiny steps she can do), her tail hits the ground when she squats to pee, her legs shake, she is very unsteady. Not so much limping, just wobbely. She is going to the vets tomorrow to see if some pain meds are in order, and whatever else, I just don't want her to be in pain and miserable. If I don't get another day with her, I will be sad, but mostly I don't want her to suffer. We are trying a new vet as I don't like the one we have been using very much, I won't put her through a bunch of tests of treatments, I just need her to be comfortable at this point. Does that make sense?

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Energy11

IT MAKES all the SENSE in the world!

I would NOT put her through testing, either. See what the vet says about giving her Deramaxx, for her obvious arthritis, and go from there. YOU will KNOW what is bet for her. Love and hugs to her, and to you! Dee and The Five

Ivon, I had to make the same decision with Loca three weeks ago today. As much as I miss her (and I do more than I ever thought possible), it's a decision I haven't regretted. At 13.5 years old, I just couldn't watch her suffer anymore. You are both in my thoughts :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Energy11

Dasher went to The Bridge at 13.5, but he bled out internally :-(

Prior to that, he was a bit confused with "Doggie Alzheimers," which was being treated with meds. His former "owner" who had his since age two, was going to put him down, because of his Alzheimers, and would not stay off her new furniture. He was a GREYT old guy, and we enjoyed him for eight months! :-)))

Guest kydie

I am so sorry about your old friend, anyone who has a beloved companion understands, I started my old girl (not a hound) on a medication from our vet called Dasuquin with MSM, yes you can buy this on line, but not with the amount of MSM in it from the vet, this helps the pain in joints, and has helped her a lot, it is made by Nutramax, look it up and form your own opinion Best to your girl

Guest myIrishlass

I know you're in Durham, but if you don't mind making the trip there is a wonderful vet in Apex just outside of Cary. He has been wonderful with my grey (diagnosing and treating Cushings) and has been highly recommended by other grey owners. He is Dr. Gene Bailey at Animal Hospital of Peak Plaza (362-0515, also www.apexanimal.com). There is nothing better than a good vet you can really trust when your grey is facing difficult issues.

Good luck, and hugs and kisses for Darla!

Guest Flysmom

Makes all the sense in the world!! Hope the new vet can help and get her comfortable! Lots of positive thoughts coming your way!

Thank you all for your kind responses, we tried a new vet in Durham, Tyson Animal Hospital, the vet seems very grey-savvy, and the good news is, everything checks out fine but she does have some arthritis. The vet gave us supplements in granular form to put on her food, Chondroitin, MSM, omega-3 fatty acids, etc., and Rimadyl. If Rimadyl does not do the trick she said to let her know and we can try different meds. Yeah, you go Darla!

Edited by ivon

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Energy11
Thank you all for your kind responses, we tried a new vet in Durham, Tyson Animal Hospital, the vet seems very grey-savvy, and the good news is, everything checks out fine but she does have some arthritis. The vet gave us supplements in granular form to put on her food, Chondroitin, MSM, omega-3 fatty acids, etc., and Rimadyl. If Rimadyl does not do the trick she said to let her know and we can try different meds. Yeah, you go Darla!

WONDERFUL NEWS for you guys and for Darla! Very, very good news! D