Hypothroid Dogs

I have been treating my grey/whippet mix for hypothyroid since March. Started her on .4 twice a day of soloxine, after 6 weeks tested T4 again, came back at 2.2 (original level was 0.6 reference range 1.0 to 4.7). We increased the dose to .6 twice a day and again re-tested in 6 weeks, level now only 2.4. Original TSH was 1.18, reference range 0.05 to 0.42.

We are doing another TSH level, Keeva seems to be responding to the soloxine and we are not increasing dosage at this time. Any thoughts as to why that T4 is not going up and should I be doing anything different as far as testing goes?

Thanks for any input.

Does anyone have the e-mail address for the vet who does all the work with thyroid issues, I think I may e-mail her to get her thoughts.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

Here is some information for you: http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/E.../Monitoring.php

How high are you expecting the T4 to go? Your reference range of 1.0 to 4.7 is for all dogs, not sighthounds. 2.2-2.4 seems plenty high for a sighthound, altho I'll be watching to see opinions from those who medicate and test levels on a regular basis.

Have dog's symptoms resolved?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm not sure how high to go on the level, I just thought her T4 would be higher on the increased dosage. Her symptoms are better and she looks good clinically which is why the vet does not want to increase the dosage. This is my first hypothyroid dog so I pretty new at this, just looking for opinions. Keeva is labeled as a greyhound/whippet mix she is a rescue from Ireland, I'm sure there is at least some terrier in there also, boy does she have an attitude. Thanks for the information.

I don't have my numbers readily available for Chloe who is clinically hypothroid.

her T4 was .02

She is on .5 2x a day.

Her T4 is still on the low side but within range however, all her symtoms are gone and she is very happy so we do not raise the meds.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Does anyone have the e-mail address for the vet who does all the work with thyroid issues, I think I may e-mail her to get her thoughts. Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

Her name is Dr. Jean Dodds, her email address is: hemopet@hotmail.com

She is very accessible and will often email you back the same day! Good luck!

Here's Carl's chronology of thyroid before he was on Soloxine and now that he's been on it:

Let me preface this by posting two different T4 reference ranges for greyhound thyroid:

Dr. Suzanne Stack:

T4 = .5 - 3.6

Dr. Jean Dodds:

T4 = .80 - 3.80

That being said, here's Carl's thyroid and eye chronology:

October '07:

T4 = 1.63

Free T4 = .67

Cholesterol = 203

Lipase = 363

June '08:

T4 = 2.22

Free T4 = 28.2

Cholesterol = 221

Lipase = 670

(this probably wasn't a fasting blood test)

November '08:

T3 = 71

T4 = .67

Free T3 = 3.9

Free T4 = .35

After he started 1/2 tab of .7 Soloxine in the morning and the other 1/2 tab in the evening. Both tabs are to be given 1 hour before meals.

February '08:

T3 = 52

T4 = 1.05

Free T3 = 2.5

Free T4 = .91

Cholesterol = 197

Lipase = 551

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

On the .4 of the soloxine we were not seeing any changes on the .6 she is behaviorally getting back to her old self-not as anxious and fearful (was never like this, has always been confident and outgoing), less lethargic, more energy and has lost some weight. We are not planning on another increase at this time as she seems to be doing well.

I guess my question is, should the T4 level be on the high end of the range or do you go by how the dog is responding to the medication and not worry as long as the T4 is in the range?

Thanks

I guess since she is still in the 2.0 to 5.0 range, I wouldn't worry if you feel she is doing well.

Are you using the brand soloxine? Works better than generic.

:nod to both things.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest LindsaySF
I guess since she is still in the 2.0 to 5.0 range, I wouldn't worry if you feel she is doing well.

If her symptoms have resolved, I agree. :)

On the .4 of the soloxine we were not seeing any changes on the .6 she is behaviorally getting back to her old self-not as anxious and fearful (was never like this, has always been confident and outgoing), less lethargic, more energy and has lost some weight. We are not planning on another increase at this time as she seems to be doing well.

I guess my question is, should the T4 level be on the high end of the range or do you go by how the dog is responding to the medication and not worry as long as the T4 is in the range?

Thanks

As I understand things, T4 level is less important than free-T4 (fT4). That's because some of the T4 will be bound up (to protein) and thus unavailable to be used. fT4 is the T4 that is not bound up; it is free to be transformed into T3, which is the biologically active form of thyroid hormone. (In the normal course of things, T4 drops an atom and becomes T3. I guess we'd have to ask God why s/he set it up that way!) But T4 is cheaper to test for than fT4, so a lot of people just look at that. If T4 is all you're testing, then clinical signs and behaviors become very important in figuring out whether the medicine level is adequate.

Hope that made sense.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).