Frontline Plus

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

I have been shopping around for Frontline Plus. From previous threads on GT I checked out Joe's Pet Supply - they are quite cheap but I am concerned over some things I have read online concerning counterfeit flea and tick products and an increase in illnesses reported in dogs after using flea and tick products. This is off the EPAs web site.

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/factsheets/petproduct.htm

I emailed Joes and asked if their Frontline is from the USA and registered with the EPA and this is the reply I got:

The Frontline Plus that we sell is not FDA/EPA approved.

The branded products listed on our web site are all registered in Australia by the APVMA (http://www.apvma.gov.au), the Australian government body that governs pet medications. The APVMA has stringent controls over registered pet medications.

All of the products listed on our web site including Frontline, Advantage, Advantix, Revolution and Heartgard are exactly the same as the products you would purchase locally. In fact they are even made in the same factories to exactly the same specifications and then simply packaged for different geographic markets. There may be some minor packaging differences such as weights listed in KG's rather than lbs where the target market has the metric system.

So do I need to be concerned about using this product? With 5 dogs now I need to save $$$$ where I can but at the same time I'm a bit of a worrier about things like this.

I have ordered Frontline Plus from deadfleaz.com before, which is an Australian company. It didn't work.....but, neither did the Frontline Plus I bought from my vet!! (I've switched to Comfortis.)

I know lots of people here use the Australian companies for the very reasons you've stated. I think you're fine, as long as your dogs aren't having any reactions and the fleas are dying.

Guest Energy11

I don't use Frontline, Adantage or Comfortis. I am LUCKY that Adams Flea and Tick Mist (safe for greys) works! I mist them two to three times a week.

NOW, WE JUST shot another SNAKE out in the larger turnout pen! I wish ADAMS worked for that! :-( GEZZZZZZ, I am afraid to let me dogs out!

Guest TBSFlame

I am finding a few tiny fleas on my dogs. Yes, I did frontline and advantage but I am finding some fleas anyway and it's not time to do it again. I also use Frontline spray. This is going to be a bad year. We have had a wet season and you can tell. I flea comb my crew several times a day. I keep a flea comb in my pocket. If I see one scatching I bring out my comb. :) I hate feas. I have stuff to put out in the yard but I need some dry weather before I can treat.

Frontline and Advantage is expensive. I don't mind but if it is not working then....... I think I am going to try Adams. Something different.

Edited by TBSFlame

Guest hvacman250

From what I read, it is indeed made by the same company, just packaged differently. Joes definately has the best price online. But, I am in the same boat as another poster; I ordered a yrs supply from them, and it doesnt work. Neither did the one dose from the local vet, so I switched to Comfortis.

ETA: it's not FDA/EPA approved because those 2 bodies (Food and Drug Administration/Environmental Protection Agency) only govern n the USA. Australia has an equivalent agency there, which I knwo nothing about. how does Aus compare to USA? No clue, but I would feel AUs is an advanced enough society to care for their animals and not let crap be provided to vets.

Edited by hvacman250

Guest eaglflyt

We use Frontline Plus very successfully that we ordered from the Pet Shed in Australia. It is indeed the same product as sold in the US, just different packaging for the AU market, rather than the US market. The products are all made by the same company.

We live in an area heavy with ticks and fleas. We have had NONE on our dogs while using these products. I do plan on buying from Joe's next time I order.

However, Advantage stopped working in our area for fleas about 2 years ago ... our vet even quit carrying it since apparently fleas in our area have developed resistance to that product formulation.

Guest Greensleeves

One of the cautions my vet had about ordering those Australian formulations was that they may be past-date by the time they get to you. HOWEVER, that's not a concern for Frontline, as apparently (also per my vet!) it has no expiration date.

That said, my vet will price match and/or get me things at cost. One of the things she recommended (she also has a large pack) is to buy the largest size of Frontline and split the dose between two dogs. That can keep the cost down a little, too.

We had a flea epidemic last August - my vet said she saw a ton of dogs in a 2-week period with fleas, and htey were all using Frontline. She recommends Advantix, becuase apparently the fleas around here are immune to Frontline.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest FordRacingRon

My two cents. First off, there are a lot on this board that buy their meds form Austalian places and they have stated the meds work fine.

For most of the 3 years here Leia has been on Frontline plus. Summer before last (2007) the ticks showed up even though on Frontline. plus They were on her feet 95% of the time. I assumed they jumped on at the park. So I also, even with the Frontline, I used the Adams spray and mist on her feet only,,,and used Adams yard spray in my yard just in case,,that solved the problem.

However here in California winter didn't start until like December this year last year (2008), it was hot through October. Sometime around Nov. fleas started showing up, but the problem subsided in like December,,but in Feb. (2009) as it turned back into summer the fleas came back. The Frontline plus had virtually no effect so I found myself giving Leia a Capstar once a week and occasionally did her all over with the Adams spray, even though she was using Frontline plus. Last month I was comptemplating the change to Advantix or using Advantage with a Preventix collar for the ticks. Too many on this board mentiond bad reactions their dogs had to the Advantix so that went off the table. Last month though I did switch to the Advantage. Haven't had a flea since then. I still haven't bought the collar but am waiting for "tick season" to start,,,if it does.

One of the cautions my vet had about ordering those Australian formulations was that they may be past-date by the time they get to you.

As far as how long it takes to get here stuff from Pets Megastore gets to me quicker than stuff from most US places. Shipping costs are comprable and not slow boat to china, but air mail. I've used them for flea and HW meds for 6+ years and only have good things to say.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Not everything foreign made is counterfit. My friend gets me Albuterol inhalers in Mexico for a fraction of the cost here. They are made by Glaxo Smithkline in Chilie and Spain -- same company, different place. Have never had a problem with those either.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I buy Frontline Plus from an Australian firm, and have had no problems with it. I use it all year-round.

Although I don't think the product itself expires, there is an expiration date on the packages I get. I buy from www.petshed.com, and their site lists the expiration date for the product they're currently selling. What I get from them in the mail (about a week after I place the order) has the expiration date shown on the Website or an even later date.

A local vet is starting to advise people with problems to try applying the product every three weeks rather than every four. Also, he advises folks to check with their neighbors to see what product is working successfully in the neighborhood. I live in a condo, and my guys are leash-walked--mostly on asphalt and concrete, sometimes in very short grass. Since Sam has grass allergies, he's not routinely running around in grass--or rolling in it--and I think their limited exposure to greenery probably explains why I'm seeing no flea issues with my guys.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest goodtimekid

I have bought for deadfleaz in the past and intend on ordering again soon. It is the same company that makes it for the US but without the extra expense of the FDA. I buy the heart guard plus and Frontline Plus and use it year round. Both my dogs have had recent Heartworm testing and no problems.... It got here faster and way cheaper....

There is an article in the Wall Street Journal from May 26th that the EPA is intensifying an evaluation of products applied directly to the skin due to a 53% increase of reported harmful side effects in 2008.

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Guest greyvettech

Best price for Frontline + is on ebay- It is sold by a veterinarian!!!!!! (kits & 3 or 6 packs).... Drexotx ... Discount Veterinary Medical Direct..

My wife went to the health food store and they researched fleas and ticks , they found a product safe for dogs and people that repels fleas and ticks---PALMAROSA OIL 7.99 FOR 1 OZ ---2 DROPS TO 10 OZ of water , this year wife had 37 ticks on her now none and none on the dogs.