Need Sling/harness Help

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Poor Spencer is starting to get very wobbly again. I want to be prepared to help him walk if I have to. I hear of people using slings - how do they work for male dogs? If I put a belly band on Spencer he yelps so I'm trying to figure out how a sling would help him walk. Maybe a harness wtih a handle is something I should look into. Anyone else with a wobbly boy? What do you do to help?

We had ordered one of these for our elderly whippet, who is gone now: http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness...p;category=1131

Unfortunately, he didn't get the chance to use it. I tried it on Zema and was pretty impressed with how it fit and how easy it was to grab the handle to help support the dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest dwolfe711

Contact Carol Becker at God's Greyts in Florida (sorry don't have her email handy right now) - she makes slings for pups based on their measurements and all proceeds are donated to her group, God's Greyts. We ordered one for Apollo last year and - thank goodness - only needed it for a month or two before accupuncture really helped his problem. We just ordered another one to fit Allie last week - should be getting it any day now - she has very wobbly days lately - but then again, she is 15!!

Hope Spencer does better - have you ever tried accupuncture? I was very skeptical for years but we would try anything for our babies and after seeing how much it is helping Apollo, we are now taking Allie, too!

Good luck -

Donna

Guest greytful4

When my Kylie was really ill and couldn't hardly walk without stumbling, I used a length of pre quilted fabric with handles on the end that I made for her. It was such a huge help.

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Contact Carol Becker at God's Greyts in Florida (sorry don't have her email handy right now) - she makes slings for pups based on their measurements and all proceeds are donated to her group, God's Greyts. We ordered one for Apollo last year and - thank goodness - only needed it for a month or two before accupuncture really helped his problem. We just ordered another one to fit Allie last week - should be getting it any day now - she has very wobbly days lately - but then again, she is 15!!

Hope Spencer does better - have you ever tried accupuncture? I was very skeptical for years but we would try anything for our babies and after seeing how much it is helping Apollo, we are now taking Allie, too!

Good luck -

Donna

Thank you! I found this link which I'm assuming is who you mean?

Edited to add: Yes I have tried acupuncture and it has helped in the past but Spencer stresses out so much in the car and at the vet's office that I think it negates the good affects!

We had ordered one of these for our elderly whippet, who is gone now: http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness...p;category=1131

Unfortunately, he didn't get the chance to use it. I tried it on Zema and was pretty impressed with how it fit and how easy it was to grab the handle to help support the dog.

Thank you very much! I will check it out more when I get home.

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Guest Energy11

Good luck -

Donna

Here is Carol Becker's email: godsgreyts@mac.com. Friends of ours used this harness on their girl, until she went to The Bridge. Good Luck, and I am SURE Carol will help you! D

Guest Hollys2hounds

I have a sling that my girl Ginger used (only a few times) that I would be happy to lend you.

It went under her front legs and had handles that are easy to hold and keep the dog steady.

Just PM me or e-mail me with your address, and I will get it right out to you.

--Holly

Guest Spencers_Greyt
I have a sling that my girl Ginger used (only a few times) that I would be happy to lend you.

It went under her front legs and had handles that are easy to hold and keep the dog steady.

Just PM me or e-mail me with your address, and I will get it right out to you.

--Holly

Holly - thank you so much for your kind offer! That is so generous of you! I'm thinking I probably want to own a harness for any future dogs I might have that would need it after Spencer. Poor guy doesn't really realize he's having problems but his back legs will collapse on him from time to time.

Good luck -

Donna

Here is Carol Becker's email: godsgreyts@mac.com. Friends of ours used this harness on their girl, until she went to The Bridge. Good Luck, and I am SURE Carol will help you! D

Thank you! I just emailed her!

tried this with Loca during her last couple of days with me and it worked well. the vet tech mentioned that the handle was in the best spot to be able to provide painfree support.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I just ordered a sling from Fosters & Smith--it has fleece lining, and sort of a "seat belt" where you can attach it to the dog, and handles you hold. I have not had to use it yet, but I think you could use the belly band with it! It's quite adjustable. Sort of like suitcase handles for the hind end!

My vet thought he might need some help with the stairs, but so far he doesn't. I wanted to be prepared.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I used a sling with Cora when she returned home from the repair of her femur. It worked well for supporting--even lifting--her back end. I'm not sure how easy it would be to use on a male.

When she was a bit steadier, I used the Ruffwear harness. It's excellent for providing extra support. It does sit a bit forward on the dog, and so is not quite as easy to use to lift the back end right up. (Perhaps if I'd needed to lift her back end, I'd have been able to do so by changing the adjustment or angle.)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest vahoundlover

Good luck -

Donna

She made the assistance harness Boss wore for 2 years.