Billy Has A Bump

Lonesome Billy arrived at my house 12 days ago - the final stop on his long journey from Guam - and is settling in really well.

DSC02812.jpg

But he came with a little extra baggage - on his right rear leg.

DSC02815.jpg

We took him to our regular vet who sees a lot of greyhounds and she said it was a very unusual bump in a very unusual place. She drew some cells to send to the lab but the results were not definitive. She says it could be a hematoma in which case in should start to decrease in size (has not changed at all since I first got him) and if it does not, it will need to be surgically remove.

Here is a closer look. Has anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas?

DSC02816.jpg

Edited by djsgreys

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest KyGrey

I'm sorry to say I haven't seen anything like that before. Maybe someone else on here can give some insight on it.

I take it it doesn't hurt him in any way. Could it possibly be a dropped muscle or something? That's just a guess.

So you adopted a Guam baby? :yay

It looks like a dropped muscle. PM Cathie and ask her to take a look.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I did adopt a guam baby but I haven't done an intro post - I was hoping to get a good clean bill of health first. The bump is not soft - it doesn't feel squishy or liquidy. It is not super hard either and when we press on it it does not bother him at all.

I thought about a muscle injury but the path report says it is full of blood. A muscle wouldn't be would it?

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

Guest greytkidsmom
It looks like a dropped muscle. PM Cathie and ask her to take a look.

Yep. Kebo's back right leg looks just like this. It was the injury that sent him into retirement. Doesn't slow him down a bit on the couch :)

Guest KyGrey
I did adopt a guam baby but I haven't done an intro post - I was hoping to get a good clean bill of health first. The bump is not soft - it doesn't feel squishy or liquidy. It is not super hard either and when we press on it it does not bother him at all.

I thought about a muscle injury but the path report says it is full of blood. A muscle wouldn't be would it?

Well, congratulations early then. :yay

Guest FullMetalFrank

It does look like a dropped muscle. Here is a description from the cal.vet.upenn site;

"Dropped Thigh Muscle

"Dropped muscle," a common greyhound injury, is the tearing of the gracilis muscle. This muscle is a sheathlike muscle or tendon located on the medial aspect of the leg. The muscle originates at the pubis synthesis and inserts in a fanlike tendon on the tibial crest. Dropped muscle is the term used when external changes are visible. The muscle fibers of the thickened portion become torn during strenuous action, and there is subsequent hemorrhage and hematoma formation, usually along the posterior border. These injuries are frequently not noticed until the day after the injury. The hematoma can be as large as an egg, and the animal continues to run poorly. In a period of time (3 weeks) scar tissue fills in at the site of the tear, and eventually these scars can be palpated as knots along the caudal border of the muscle tendon. If the animal is restricted, it frequently will become sound again; however, it is not uncommon that when the animal is raced a new injury will occur beside the old one. The principle for correction is lengthening of the scar tissue similar to the technique of lengthening the tendon in Figure 68-4 by the accordion method. When performing this procedure, the surgeon must take care not to cut muscle but only the fibrous scar tissue. "

I tried to find a photo, to no avail; here is a link to the website where I got the above info: http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/saortho/...r_68/68mast.htm

Edited to add: If it were me I would probably keep him resting (no running or hard exercise) and maybe ice the area a few times a day.

Hope this helps!

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Looks like a dropped muscle to me also. Valentino came with one and we had to restrict his running until it healed up. He walked fine but when he ran he would start to pull up his back leg.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest kydie

I am going with the vet, hemotoma, the bloody report and color of it looks like it, hemotomas, can become firm and not squishy, had a dog with one once, surgery involved draining and a drain placement, for a few days, and anitboitics. He is a beautiful boy, good luck

Guest ChancesMom

It sounds like you may have the answer. I just wanted to say congratulations on your new addition and to tell you what a beautiful boy he is.

congrats on your new boy! our dog abby had a lump in the same place that looked like that, and we let it go because we (and our vet) thought it was a lipoma. but, it turned out to be a mast cell tumor. it was filled with blood that would not clot (no platelets). so, hopefully billy's is nothing serious. don't worry until you know what it is. i just thought i should share our experience. please keep us posted!

2rqyqhd.jpg

I hope you an figure out what it is for sure. In the meantime... congrats, Deb. He is sooo handsome. And I love his beautiful soulful eyes :wub:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Looks like you have the answer and it's not a bad answer either! Congratulations on your new handsome boy!

Thanks everyone I am going to treat with ice a few times a day until we go back to the vet next week. I emailed her the link on the dropped muscle. If it is a hematoma, the ice can't hurt. He is just such a good boy but the gaum babies do seem to have less sense of personal space than the American retired racer. And they play rough. Tonight he banged into my other big boy, Sam and actually split his skin open. So now I have two patients!

Deb, and da Croo

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I have seen a bump like that before... Vegas has one on his leg too. we had it removed last fall by our vet and he took samples when he removed it and it came back (smaller) as nothing. Basicially what our vet told us is he could see there had been some damage to the muscle previously and when it healed the body has choosen to protect the site with a large fluid sack. the bump has grown back again and we are keeping an eye on it incase it changes or becomes painfull but other than that there is no concern.

Best thing to do is keep an eye on it and get it checked incase it migth be something different. also keep treating it as a dropped mucle until you find out what is going on it could be many things.

Here is a pic i just took its not the best pic ( its on his left leg with the fluff on it next to where his berries used to be)

DSC_0287.jpg...DSC_0286.jpg

Edited by Lovey_Hounds