Sneezing, Huffing Problems

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Duke just started having these little fits. He's sneezing and something else I can't quite explain. It's like he's breathing in tightly, short breaths type of thing, kind of like a huff.

What is this? What can I do to help relieve this? We were out hiking for a little while today. Nothing out of the ordinary. He lays down in the rivers and drinks. So does Tankala and he is totally fine.

Any ideas???

Sounds like reverse sneezing - something that a lot of greys do including all my four to varying degrees. Some Rescue Remedy helps Dude when h's having a bad attack that goes on for several minutes.

Do a search for "reverse sneeze" or "reverse sneezing" for a ton of more info.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

When my boy goes into his reverse sneezing, I try and gently massage his neck a little. I honestly don't know if it helps him get over it quicker but, at least it makes me feel like I'm helping. Larry's reverse sneezing usually lasts less than 1 minute.

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has been doing this a lot lately too. I equate it to kind of a hiccup. Sometimes he panics and that makes it worse so I'll gently stroke his neck to calm him down.

Guest BlueCrab
Some Rescue Remedy helps Dude when h's having a bad attack that goes on for several minutes.

Greysmom - what do you DO with the Rescue Remedy to help Dude?

Guest lynne893

mine does this too from time to time. freaks me out, but consensus here on these boards seems to be "reverse sneezing" whether that's an actual medical term or not, i don't know!

Guest FullMetalFrank

Chels did a LOT of reverse sneezing when we got her, freaked me out a little, too... It is less frequent now, don't know why. We gently massage her throat when it happens and it seems to stop it. Somebody posted a video link that I watched, that is how I was convinced this is indeed the reverse sneeze. You could google reverse sneeze and see if there is a youtube or something on it if you are not sure; it's almost impossible to get them to sneeze while you are at the vet's office! Or tape him doing it and bring that to the vet.

Guest kydie

Hello Philly, I am up in western Pa., could his be allergies, or heat? This is allergie season here and I have one with allergies, he get watery eyes and big eye goobers this time of year, the coughing makes me think this, I always keep liguid bendryl or melt under the tongue bendryl in my first-aid-kit for this and bee stings, via vet instruction

Guest katieandpadfoot

My two do that too.....and I found out it is reverse sneezing...and this time of year it's really bad....I think both of my have allergies!!!! Try a little benedryl

just as an aside, I would try not to let them drink out of places like that...they can pick up giardia pretty easily

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Gideon

He's over it now. I think he had a little cold or something. It was really strange to see it - freaked me out. I thought he was dying but he kept reaching for my pita bread so I knew he was going to be ok.

Some Rescue Remedy helps Dude when h's having a bad attack that goes on for several minutes.

Greysmom - what do you DO with the Rescue Remedy to help Dude?

Rescue Remedy is a homeopathic liquid that is actually made for people. It has a calming effect during anxiety attacks, and does help with Dude's reverse sneezing. It comes with a little dropper in the bottle and I just put a squirt on his tongue and it calms him right down.

It usually happens to him when he gets overheated - playing hard, or even in the hot weather, or when he's been digging a lot. He can have multiple attacks that last ten minutes or more each if I don't get the RR into him.

It bothers us much more than it seems to bother him. Though he can get distressed if it lasts a long time as he can't catch his breath. It's not usually that serious though.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly