He Just Doesn't Seem 'right'

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Recently Archie (my almost 13yr old JRT/whippet mix) was Dxd with early, early, early stages of kidney failure. The reason we did the tests was b/c he had been vomiting for no reason. He had extensive blood and urine tests, all which showed he had the very beginnings of kidney failure and nothing else. Not too surprising, given his age and it can be managed.

But this past week he just doesn't seem 'right'. If any of you know JRT's they do KNOT slow down, even in old age. Archie has been his usual self in that regard, but something about a 'look' in his eyes is bothering me. That and the fact that he is spending more and more time in his crate. The crate has always been his 'safe' place, but usually when I am home in the evenings he likes to sleep in his bed beside me in the living room.

This morning when we got up he was limping. We went down stairs and I went to let Soul and Arch out for their pee, and instead of being at the door, jumping to go out as usual, Archie was in his crate. Archie is a terrier. He wants to be the first to go out, and is VERY excited about his morning meal. The fact that first thing in the morning he went downstairs and got in his crate is really bothering me. It is so not Archie . . . .

Is there something that the vet might be missing? Should we be doing an ultrasound to look for something else? His blood and urine tests were all good except for that slight indication that his beans are starting to fail. But this past week he really just doesn't seem 'right'. Except for this morning his behavior has been normal, but there is that 'look' in his eyes. Does that make sense?

Guest EmilyAnne

When my cat had kidney disease, and acted like this, I did the pinch test to check for dehydration, and would give sub-q fluids if dehydrated, and he would bounce back pretty quick after being given sub-q fluids.

Have his blood pressure checked. Most Vets don't do that, so you will need to ask specifically for a BP check. Kidneys affect blood pressure.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest ss556

When Alan was diagnosed with kidney disease based on blood & urine, the vet then did check the blood pressure which was high and they did an ultrasound to see the kidneys. But kidney disease is different than kidney failure.

Guest SoulsMom

Oh, you're right Susan, I'm sorry. I typed the wrong thing. Probably b/c in my discussions with the vet it pretty much is kidney failure, just not the final stages (meaning he's old and his kidneys are going and there's nothing we can do to 'fix' it, just manage it :( )

And he's in such early stages that both the vet and I felt very positive about how he's doing right now. Thanks Wendy, I'll try to get him in soon for a BP check. He's not dehydrated, but just seems wrong this past week. Staying in his crate all the time, that look in his eyes . . . .I guess I'm starting to worry that there might be some sort of cancer or something that hasn't been detected. But even if we do do diagnostics and find something I don't know how much can be done to help him, given his age :dunno And Archie absolutely hates being at the vet, it stresses him out so much . . .

You all know how it is, we can just tell when they are not right in some way . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

All fingers and paws crossed in this house, that Archie improves. Hang in there.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

You are so very in tune with your little Archie. I guess even with early stages of renal failure they must have groggy days when the toxins back up in the kidneys.

We've just bought some 'Greenleaf tablets' by a company called DENES for our foster girl it's a traditional herbal remedy for symptomatic relief of arthritis, eczema and kidney complaints. Ask your vet if this might help any?

Hope he feels better in himself soon.......

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

JD was diagnosis with high blood pressure and early renal failure over 3 years ago. He had to have an eye removed and is on meds., but is otherwise fine. He is a 16 year old 'Tzu. Only within the past month we have had to add Lasix to daily meds. and remedies. Our holistic Vet has him on two remedies from Standard Process and several other vitamins and supplements.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks everyone. Guess he's just having an a few 'off' days. I think I was worrying that something else might be going on . . .and given his age and the fact that going to the vet stresses him out so much I'm not sure how much I'm willing to put him through. He doesn't know that a trip to vet will make him feel better, only that he's terrified :(