Beau Has What Looks Like The Beginnings Of A Stye.

On Beau's lower lid looks like the beginning of a stye. Is there anything I can do for that?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Hollys2hounds

Robin,

My Emma had that about a year ago. Vet gave me drops. I do not remember what the rx was.

It cleared up quickly as I remember. She hated the drops...

Poor baby Beau.

Tip has had a small growth on the corner of his lower lid for a couple of years now. We see a vet ophthalmologist regularly for his pannus, and they are not concerned about the growth, as long as it doesn't change.

Unless it seems to bother him or change significantly, I'd watch and wait for now...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I should add that Tipper gets NeoPolyDex ointment twice weekly for his pannus. Doesn't affect the bump on his eyelid. :dunno

~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Energy11
I should add that Tipper gets NeoPolyDex ointment twice weekly for his pannus. Doesn't affect the bump on his eyelid. :dunno

Hummm ... if Tipper is ALREADY on NPD, then, maybe there is something else the vet can prescribe?

He's been on NPD for about six years. The bump came along about two or three years ago, but has never changed since I first noticed it. May or may not be the same as what Beau has, but just thought I'd mention it. :)

Our dogs' problems always show up at the beginning of a long holiday weekend too! Hope he's not uncomfortable.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Nevada had something like that once. Her's continued to grow & she had to have it removed. I got pretty big.....so watch it to see if it does anything.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Little well-defined bump or just general swelling? If the latter, might try some benadryl if he can have that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest nerak254

Aruba has a little bump thing on her lower eyelid too. It has been there for a couple of years and doesn't change so we're leaving it alone

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Neo poly dex is commonly used for bacteria infections. But if it's just an irritation on the eye due to a growth you don't want to use the Neo Poly Dex as the Dex stands for dexamethasone. Which is a form of steroid, and steroids prolong healing. But they do help with swelling and cutting the desire to itch/scratch/paw

Is Beau's eye looking red and irritated? is he pawing at it?

My girl Brookie has a small skin tag on her lower lid. It doesn't irritate the eye but if it did then it would have to be removed.

Cassie as well had a skin tag on her lower lid that caused issues and had to be removed. What a pain that recovery was

Nevada had something like that once. Her's continued to grow & she had to have it removed. I got pretty big.....so watch it to see if it does anything.

Hobbes had the same thing. Our vet monitored it's growth and when it became too large it was removed. It was a simple surgery with drops for a few days to prevent infection and promote healing.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest IrskasMom
Our dogs' problems always show up at the beginning of a long holiday weekend too! Hope he's not uncomfortable.

Isn't that the truth . I hope it's nothing serious . Sending Hugs and Well Wishes for

Beau :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:dogcookie

BTW. Robin the New Siggy is gorgeous :thumbs-up

On Beau's lower lid looks like the beginning of a stye. Is there anything I can do for that?

My galgo, Cruz, developed one in his lower lid -- it came up suddenly and really scared me. I didn't even think stye, my mind leaped straight to some horrid ocular cancer! Anyway, turned out to be a chalazion which is basically a blocked sebaceous gland in the eyelid (meibomian gland). Our vet said a lot of people use chalazion and stye interchangeably, but technically there's some slight difference. :dunno Maybe a vet or someone with experience with this will chime in here. I was just extremely relieved that it wasn't malignant.

Anyway, here's a quick overview: http://www.furrycritter.com/health/dogs/pdf/Chalazion.pdf

Our vet said they can get infected, but his wasn't. They can also get quite large which can cause discomfort and block vision. Cruz's was small and didn't seem to be causing any pain or discomfort. He wasn't rubbing it and the eye wasn't watery or irritated. The doc says he has drained them in the past, but they often come back. He also said if it doesn't respond to home treatment and/or draining surgical removal is necessary.

I used the warm compress method, gentle massage, and a homeopathic eyedrop on Cruz. He didn't mind at all, but then not much bothers him. His went away completely and I thought we were past it all, but after a few months it has plugged up again. This time it's much smaller than before and I'm working on it again with the same method.

Hope Beau's clears up quickly and permanently. :)

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Neo poly dex is commonly used for bacteria infections. But if it's just an irritation on the eye due to a growth you don't want to use the Neo Poly Dex as the Dex stands for dexamethasone. Which is a form of steroid, and steroids prolong healing. But they do help with swelling and cutting the desire to itch/scratch/paw

Is Beau's eye looking red and irritated? is he pawing at it?

Beau is on pred and imuran for the IBD so I'm not sure if another steroid is protocol.

He is not pawing at it- he doesn't know it's there. There is no watering, redness etc.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
He is not pawing at it- he doesn't know it's there. There is no watering, redness etc.

Well then that is actually good :) doesn't sound like it would be a stye or infection if he's not messing with it.

I guess maybe keep an eye on it, see if it gets any bigger or if he starts messing with it.

also if it starts to bother you then head to the vet. Always better to get some vet advice to easy the mind :)

:goodluck that it's nothing

It's definitely a lot bigger. I have been putting warm compresses on it. It feels like it's soft inside, rather than hard, which I think is good.

He had a pus pimple on his abdomen about a week ago. out of no where. Vet said to watch it and if he got anymore, he would prob need an anitbiotic.

Could this be in conjunction with the immune defeciency?

Guest Cris_M
It's definitely a lot bigger. I have been putting warm compresses on it. It feels like it's soft inside, rather than hard, which I think is good.

He had a pus pimple on his abdomen about a week ago. out of no where. Vet said to watch it and if he got anymore, he would prob need an anitbiotic.

Could this be in conjunction with the immune defeciency?

Yes, it can be in be in conjunction with immune deficiency. Steroids drop the immune system. Minor infections are very common if steroids are used in high doses or over long periods of time.

Keep using the compresses. Make sure the compress is damp as well as warm, and use a new one each time. Bacteria are very happy to grow in warm, wet environments -- which a used cloth now is.

Antibiotics are pretty normal if your pup is on steroids for any length of time. They can be used as a preventative measure if needed.

Hope things go well with Beau.