Loca's Fentanyl Patch

Loca's fentanyl patch was removed this afternoon. While she had it on she had been walking very, very slowly. Now that it's removed, does anybody know if I can expect her gait to quicken? If so, how long is a reasonable to to see things return to normal?

thanks

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I've taken care of lots of dogs that have had the fentanyl patches and I've never noticed a difference in their speed while on it/off of it...did Loca have it because of a pain problem that was causing her to walk slower, or do you think she was walking slower because she was drugged?

Sorry I'm no help...if she was walking slowly because she was drugged, I'd expect her to return to "normal" within 24 hours... :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

In humans, I understand that the effects of the drug should wear off about four hours after removal.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest LynnM

If you leave it on for the duration of the patch, it will have, for the most part, worn off, by the time you remove it. I'm a slacker... the times Joplin's had one, I just leave it on until it loosens up. The medication only lasts about 3 days, whether it's removed or not. In his case, once the drug is below therapeutic levels, it's pretty noticeable. One thought... she may be constipated. That's an extremely common, almost universal, side effect of the fentanyl patch, and in elderly dogs, this can have a major impact in their gait/movement.

As usual, the normal warnings to NEVER, EVER, EVER use a heating pad or direct source of heat (rice bags, SnuggleSafe, etc) near a fentanyl patch.

Lynn

the patch was removed last night and she was finally walking better this evening.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

the patch was removed last night and she was finally walking better this evening.

:yay:)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

How's Loca today!?

phene and loca are actually at tina's house for the weekend while i'm out of town.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest multiplicity
How's Loca today!?

phene and loca are actually at tina's house for the weekend while i'm out of town.

Oooops, hee hee hee I actually knew that but forgot. :rolleyes: I feel so outta sorts up here in Sudbury.

How's Loca today!?

Oooops, hee hee hee I actually knew that but forgot. :rolleyes: I feel so outta sorts up here in Sudbury.

that's ok. i feel outta sorts too :blink:

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Just wondering how Loca is doing, is she okay?

the vet (Adrian from Michele's office) changed her app't to tomorrow as he had to do emergency surgery on a lab that ate something weird.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Scritches to Loquita - hope she is fully recovered by now!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)