Tick Check On Dark Brindle?

Guest brady_the_greyt

Guest brady_the_greyt

Does anybody have any tips on how to do a good tick check on my dark brindle? Unless the little bugger is on his belly throat, or white feet, there's no way I am going to find him.

Thanks

Guest eaglflyt

By feel generally works best for us on our dogs. Also, using a Preventic collar is safe and very effective on our dogs.

Guest HornGreys

I second the check by feel. That is what I do with my dark brindle girl. I usually start at the nose and just work my way back. She actually loves it because it is like a rub down.

Guest myjazzy

I do it by feel too. I can run my hands down a dog and if there is a tick feel it right away. I'm sure I have aggravated at least one person when I've been petting a dog, felt a tick and told the owner of the dog.

Edited by myjazzy

By feel, but also pet in the wrong direction and watch the part in the hair, you'll see the skin and you can look and feel at the same time. And if he has any hair starting to stick in weird directions it could be a tick.

I've only every seen one tick. There's not very common around here. It was on a foster dog - and I think it "probably" came here on here. My dogs have never had one while they lived here - despite the fact that we walk through woods and pastures. I found it while petting her. I felt "something" and when I looked - it stuck out like a sore thumb. Most

greys don't have very thick hair, so, by running your hands over them - head to tail - you definately will feel a tick.

If you live in an area with ticks, just run your hands all over her - and you'll feel it. I don't know much about ticks - but the one I saw was over a quarter inch long - definately visiable. My neighbor came over and lit a match, put it out - then touched it to the tick, and it dropped right off. I then smashed the heck outta it to make sure it was dead.

I've only every seen one tick. There's not very common around here. It was on a foster dog - and I think it "probably" came here on here. My dogs have never had one while they lived here - despite the fact that we walk through woods and pastures. I found it while petting her. I felt "something" and when I looked - it stuck out like a sore thumb. Most

greys don't have very thick hair, so, by running your hands over them - head to tail - you definately will feel a tick.

If you live in an area with ticks, just run your hands all over her - and you'll feel it. I don't know much about ticks - but the one I saw was over a quarter inch long - definately visiable. My neighbor came over and lit a match, put it out - then touched it to the tick, and it dropped right off. I then smashed the heck outta it to make sure it was dead.

Based on the "incidence of tick borne diseases" map I recently saw, you MUST have plenty of ticks in PA, because they actually have a relatively high incidence of Lyme disease!

Maybe you've just been lucky??

We have TONS of ticks here, and I have yet to find one embedded on George--I know I've been lucky!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Try shining a flashlight -- ticks reflect light. It certainly is easier to spot them on a light-colored pup though.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest agroshong

As many have said, by feel works best. You can't miss them doing a light rub down when it's a daily habit. Abbey and Axel loooove their tick checks after long hikes and at the end of the day. I have seen ticks year-round in the mid-Atlantic, hence our daily checks. Make sure not to miss the joint areas (under the shoulders and hips) and in their ears -- the nooks and crannies so to speak.

Guest Energy11

TICKS here, too!

:tick

UGH! one on the wall last night, and one on my shirt (*was just hanging outside earlier). Dogs?? So far, so good. I use Adams Flea and Tick Spray religiously. I check them with a flashlight, and hands. Flashlight works well on all, especially my black.

Good Luck! I hate those little, disease carrying buggers! :-(

I quadruple the motion on hand check. My guys love it too. Before we get into the house when back from a walk I do a head to toes tick check and talk to them while I do it. I check in that crevise by the first joint after their paws especially. I have found ticks nestled inside that spot. My short haired brindle gets less ticks than my longer/fluffier haired cow patch dog. The ticks like his body warmth and longer hair better but they are easier to see actually. I lift up the tail and run my hand down the tail and spread their paws apart and look in there too. We walk the trails daily and Massachusetts is really tickachusetts. Good luck.

Edited by Missilesmom

Missile.jpg

BABY, HE WAS BORN TO RUN!