Soul Is Sick Once Again

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

:( Gurgly tummy and refused breakfast. Kept wanting to go outside to eat grass. I offered him half a can of the I/D wet and he didn't want it. So offered him a piece of wheat bread, which he gobbled up and the gurglies stopped.

Two weeks ago I once again started trying to transistion him to a new diet, and get him off the prescription I/D. While the I/D is great for his tummy, I hate the contents and it contributes to his lupus flare ups. When he first got sick he was on a grain free fish and sweet potato kibble. After his HGE blowout he went on the I/D for a month, then I started to slowly switch him to a grain free venison and sweet potato kibble . . . . .I'd only gotten halfway but Jan 1st he got sick again, complete with bloody stools. Since then he's been on the I/D only and doing fine. A few weeks ago I started trying to get him on a new kibble again~this time grain free lamb and rice. As of this morning he had been eating 3.5 cups I/D and 1 cup new food/day, plus 1 tbsp of fiber (as suggested by one of the vets on his case back in November). The only other change was that he didn't get his pre-bedtime snack last night~1/3 of a can I/D. I'm a bad mommy, I was so tired and forgot :(

*Sigh* I just don't know what to do. . . . the I/D is so expensive, but great for his tummy. But I hate the contents and the grains in it keep him in a constant lupus flare up, which makes him prone to a nose bleed every other day or so :(:headwall

Of course I'll be watching him closely today, and I already have the Flagyl ready should I see blood . . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytbookert

oh man, Amber! I'm so sorry to hear that Soul is feeling poorly again!

I wish I had more advice to offer, but my only experience is what we discussed previously and I just don't know if that is going to work for Soul :(

I would try that Earth Naturals? (not sure of the name but it has a big green sign) store on Route 9 in Worcester, near Walgreens and see if they have some slippery elm bark powder. If not, I can pick some up for you in Sturbrigde. I know the stuff in Sturbridge is pure and clean, as we use it here for T, when he has a flare up. It really does help calm the digestive tract and is a natural herb and I don't see how it could make anything worse.

Sending many prayers for you and for Soul!

So sorry Soul's poorly again. You're not bad you're a good Mommy to him......*hugs*

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks Deb, I'll try to pick some up. What amount do you give to T? Though I might not go until next weekend, I don't want to leave him today . . .

Guest greytbookert
Thanks Deb, I'll try to pick some up. What amount do you give to T? Though I might not go until next weekend, I don't want to leave him today . . .

The standard dosing is 1/4 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight, from what I've read. Start off slow, with maybe a 1/4 teaspoon and then increase gradually, up to the regular dosing recommendations. T typically gets 1 dose, we gradually reduce. When Booker had suspected IBD, the Slippery Elm bark powder became a standard add in for his diet.

I'm actually heading to Sturbridge today, so I'm going to pick some up for you and send it to you. Do not argue with me :):P

edited because I'm goofy this morning.

Edited by greytbookert

Guest ChancesMom

Amber, have you ever tried giving him a Pepcid when he gets the gurgley stomach? It usually works for Chance. I will be praying that it is just an off day for him and that by tomorrow he will be back to his old self again. If you need to talk, give me a call. Hugs to you and da Soul Man.

I understand your frustration. I really do.

No advice, just healing thoughts and prayers for da Soul man.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SoulsMom
Amber, have you ever tried giving him a Pepcid when he gets the gurgley stomach

I've thought about it and bought some, but my vet didn't seem too keen on the idea. Not sure why, but he wasn't too enthuasitic about it . . .and he's been very meticulous about Soul's care so I just haven't done it. The bread seemed to work insantly . . .thanks Donna, I really appreciate your support :kiss2

Ok Deb! I know better than to argue with you :P But I'm supplying the wine the next time we get together!

Thanks Robin, I know you of all people know how worriesome and upsetting this rollar coaster ride can be :(

Edited by SoulsMom

Have you thought about feeding him home-prepared?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SandOSU98

Geez, so if blood's not coming out one end, it's the other! Unfortunately I don't have any advice, but I hope you figure something out. :huh

I can't even imagine the worry and frustration. I sympathize with the concern about the ingredients. I was horrified when I read the ingredients on the kidney diets when Suze was was recovering from ARF! I will keep praying and sending healing thoughts for Soul. Come on, big guy! Feel better soon!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest SoulsMom

Thank you everyone, it's so comforting to know that he has so many people thinking of him everytime he goes through this :grouphug

Have you thought about feeding him home-prepared?

I have, but it's so overwheleming I wouldn't know where to start . . . .when he was 'building up' to his illness in September I was cooking chicken and rice or hamburger and rice for him and he still was not doing that great. I just have no idea what is causing this, only that when he is on the strict I/D diet he does fine. I don't even know if it was the food that caused today's upset, or if it was missing his snack last night :crazy

No BM yet today, so I'm waiting to see if the bleeding has begun again or if we can get past this blip without having to go back on the Flagyl . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest greytbookert

The slippery elm bark powder is in the mail... you should get it Monday, I hope!

If you want some help trying to formulate a diet for him, I'm happy to do some research and assist where I can. I had to do A LOT of research when the Boogie Man was ill.

Amber, I'm only just seeing this. So sorry to hear Soul is sick again :( Poor boy! :cry1

If there is anything I can do - you have my number :grouphug :grouphug

PS Deb, you are just SO nice. :)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I was gonna suggest slippery elm. Glad to see someone ele did. Best of luck!

I was gonna suggest slippery elm. Glad to see someone ele did. Best of luck!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest Vinnie

No advice - just wanted to add our prayers for Soul to feel better. Hugs and scritches.

Edited by Vinnie

Guest SoulsMom

Thank you everyone, you all are the best :blush He ate a little bit of the canned I/D and dug in his hole in the yard, so he's not acting as puny as he was this morning. . . . .no poops yet, so I don't know if he's bleeding . . . .I'm not sure what to do about dinner tonight. Do I give him the same diet with the new kibble to test if this was because he missed his bedtime snack? Or do I go back to the all I/D? Hopefully he'll poop for me before then so I'll know which direction to go . . . .

Kerry, isn't Deb AWESOME? Deb you rock :kiss2 I'm all for devising a home cooked diet for him, but I don't want to put you out. As I said, I have no idea where to begin. I want something similiar to how he does on the I/D, but without grains so I can get his lupus under control again. My head is spinning with what to do . . . . .

Guest greytbookert
Thank you everyone, you all are the best :blush He ate a little bit of the canned I/D and dug in his hole in the yard, so he's not acting as puny as he was this morning. . . . .no poops yet, so I don't know if he's bleeding . . . .I'm not sure what to do about dinner tonight. Do I give him the same diet with the new kibble to test if this was because he missed his bedtime snack? Or do I go back to the all I/D? Hopefully he'll poop for me before then so I'll know which direction to go . . . .

Kerry, isn't Deb AWESOME? Deb you rock :kiss2 I'm all for devising a home cooked diet for him, but I don't want to put you out. As I said, I have no idea where to begin. I want something similiar to how he does on the I/D, but without grains so I can get his lupus under control again. My head is spinning with what to do . . . . .

awwww... I'm not that nice :lol you wouldn't be putting me out at all, anything that I can do to help both you and Soul! I'll start looking at some things later tonight and start summarizing for you. I have some old notes from when Boogie man was sick, so I'll start there. My mom's coming over tonight and tomorrow we are headed to the Greyhound Options outing, so it might not be until Monday that I get something to you...

Guest 4baddogs

Oh, no advice from here, just lots of good thoughts and prayers for your sweet lil' tongue stickin' out boy. :)

I hate that frustrating feeling that you're going through.