Frontline Not Working?

Guest iHound

Guest FordRacingRon

Someone tell me,,can Advantix be used on a grey. I am under the understanding that Advantage is for fleas only,,,Frontline is fleas and ticks (but hasn't been working) ,,,but Advantix is also for fleas and ticks. Can a grey have Advantix?

Guest CampWhippet

Frontline does not work here. I've been using Revolution for the past 5 years and never had a flea, but my wholesale supplier quit offering it so I went to Frontline Plus about 2 months ago and am so unhappy with the results. Looks like it is back to Revolution for me. I used to get it for $35 for 6 bottles and retail is $85. But Tansy has a terrible flea allergy and if she gets just one flea she chews the base of her tail absolutely RAW.

Guest GentleHugs

Has anyone tried SENTRY Natural Defense Natural Flea & Tick Squeeze-On for Dogs & Puppies?

Active Ingredients:

Peppermint Oil .. 3.00%

Cinnamon Oil .. 4.50%

Lemongrass Oil .. 4.50%

Clove Oil .. 5.00%

Thyme Oil .. 5.00%

2-Phenethyl Propionate* .. 5.00% (2-Phenethyl Propionate is a natural botanical extract commonly found in food.)

Other Ingredients: (Vanillin, Isopropyl Myristate) ... 73.00%

I found it here.

I want to find out if anyone has used it on their Greys, if it's any good and if their dogs have had any reaction to it. One of my girls can't tolerate anything topical such as Frontline for very long and my other girl sometimes has head tremor seizures. My boy does ok with topical stuff but he doesn't care for the smell. I'd really like to switch to something all natural if it's good and works.

We're having a nasty tick problem here, too, and my neighbors and I all use Frontline. Seems it's not doing it's job or the ticks have all built up a resistance to it. I've found 5 lone star ticks, 1 deer tick and 2 dog ticks in the past week. All were crawling on us and the dogs! Only one attached but wasn't attached for long. We were trying to get it off when it attached itself. My neighbors to the west of me are real concerned as well. They've used Frontline for a few years now and they just found a tick on their Australian Shepherd full engorged.

Missouri has put out a tick alert because we had a mild winter and now the ticks are starting to emerge a month earlier than normal.

Luckily, we haven't had any problem with fleas but the ticks are way out of control here.

I don't know if this is hijacking the thread or not, but I'll ask anyway. Send me elsewhere if it would be more appropriate.... :-)

Frontline works well for us for fleas, but we've had concerns lately about ticks, especially when we go camping. Last time was like a horror movie nightmare...ticks everywhere.....

My boyfriend heard that, while the tick prevention in Frontline Plus lasts a month, the tick prevention only lasts a week, so in theory we're going 3 out of 4 weeks each month without tick prevention. Maybe that's the problem....has anyone heard of this?

I'm considering the Preventic collar now for when we go out in the woods as extra prevention. I've never liked the collars, though, because the poison seems so obvious and gets on my hands and stuff. Thoughts? I'm assuming it's safe for people?

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

I would use Advantage for flea control, and put a Preventic collar on the dog only if you are going into an area where ticks are prevalent (i.e., hiking in the mountains).

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Has anyone tried SENTRY Natural Defense Natural Flea & Tick Squeeze-On for Dogs & Puppies?

Active Ingredients:

Peppermint Oil .. 3.00%

Cinnamon Oil .. 4.50%

Lemongrass Oil .. 4.50%

Clove Oil .. 5.00%

Thyme Oil .. 5.00%

2-Phenethyl Propionate* .. 5.00% (2-Phenethyl Propionate is a natural botanical extract commonly found in food.)

I found it here.

I want to find out if anyone has used it on their Greys, if it's any good and if their dogs have had any reaction to it. One of my girls can't tolerate anything topical such as Frontline for very long and my other girl sometimes has head tremor seizures. My boy does ok with topical stuff but he doesn't care for the smell. I'd really like to switch to something all natural if it's good and works.

We're having a nasty tick problem here, too, and my neighbors and I all use Frontline. Seems it's not doing it's job or the ticks have all built up a resistance to it. I've found 5 lone star ticks, 1 deer tick and 2 dog ticks in the past week. All were crawling on us and the dogs! Only one attached but wasn't attached for long. We were trying to get it off when it attached itself. My neighbors to the west of me are real concerned as well. They've used Frontline for a few years now and they just found a tick on their Australian Shepherd full engorged.

Missouri has put out a tick alert because we had a mild winter and now the ticks are starting to emerge a month earlier than normal.

Luckily, we haven't had any problem with fleas but the ticks are way out of control here.

I don't use it, but am intrigued with the possibility of using an alternative to what I've been using, Frontline Top Spot. Here is a link to a website that has some consumer reviews.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest HersheysMom

Active Ingredients:

Peppermint Oil .. 3.00%

Cinnamon Oil .. 4.50%

Lemongrass Oil .. 4.50%

Clove Oil .. 5.00%

Thyme Oil .. 5.00%

I found it here.

I've seen some bad reviews on this, irritation, hair falling out, etc. You can see mixed reviews on this website

Sentry Reviews

I use Only Natural Pet Herbal Flea and Tick shampoo, conditioner, spray (all containing NEEM), AND the Castor and Pollux Herbal Flea Collar. They can all be found at

Only Natural Pet

I learned the hard way with Sonie recently contracting Lyme (although I've had dogs get Lyme on Frontline, too) that with the herbals you have to have a whole arsenal - combine different ones. The addition of the collar this year has made a huge difference. No fleas or ticks since we put the collars on them.

Edited by HersheysMom

Active Ingredients:

Peppermint Oil .. 3.00%

Cinnamon Oil .. 4.50%

Lemongrass Oil .. 4.50%

Clove Oil .. 5.00%

Thyme Oil .. 5.00%

Look up the individual ingredients. You're more likely to get a bad reaction out of that than you are out of Frontline or Advantage. Plus, it won't kill any bugs unless you drown them in it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GentleHugs
I don't use it, but am intrigued with the possibility of using an alternative to what I've been using, Frontline Top Spot. Here is a link to a website that has some consumer reviews.

Hmm.... mixed reviews there - some like it - some don't. Some had problems with it - some didn't. Thanks for the link. From my own personal experience, I do know that cinnamon oil burns if you get it on your skin. Not sure about clove oil either. I suspect it burns as well. That's why I asked since we were discussing a tick problem here.

My boyfriend heard that, while the tick prevention in Frontline Plus lasts a month, the tick prevention only lasts a week, so in theory we're going 3 out of 4 weeks each month without tick prevention. Maybe that's the problem....has anyone heard of this?

I assume you mean 1 week for tick prevention and 1 month for flea

But that's incorrect - it's 1 month for tick and 3 months for flea - or at least it used to be when we used it (we don't need anything here)

But that's incorrect - it's 1 month for tick and 3 months for flea - or at least it used to be when we used it (we don't need anything here)

I remember when it first came out, they promoted it just that way - especially for 3 month flea prevention. From what I can see they've hidden that little gem in the tiny print so as to make folks think they need to use it monthly for both.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'd heard same recently on another UK pet forum from a Vet member that they were seeing that Frontline wasn't working well. Another greyhound owner's vet uses Advocate so shall have to look into that and the other options, but still have 3 frontline treatmenst left tho thankfully i've not seen any flea activity yet.

Edited by moofie

I remember when it first came out, they promoted it just that way - especially for 3 month flea prevention. From what I can see they've hidden that little gem in the tiny print so as to make folks think they need to use it monthly for both.

Now it all makes sense....I knew that COULDN'T be quite right....

Thanks to you and Trudy!

I may still lean towards supplementing it with the collar when we go camping....they get all over him, and he likes to "den" with us on the air mattress! :rolleyes:

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).