Tick Panel

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Jupiter has his first appointment with my vet next week. He is getting microchipped and I want to get a tick panel done to make sure he isn't carrying anything. I have read about the tick panels and tick born disease here on GT and online but am still a little confused. My vet seems knowledgeable about greyhounds but still it's Yakima :lol Do I just ask for a tick panel? I got this info off of a pinned site on GT about TBDs but it was from 2004 I believe.

Dr. Cynthia J. Holland

ProtaTek Reference Laboratory

574 East Alamo Street, Suite 90

Chandler, AZ 85225

Tel: (480) 545-8499 Fax: (480) 545-8409

It seems that protatek is a good laboratory to use so can I just give this info to my vet and say this is who I want to do the testing? Jupiter is from Oklahoma and is now about 21 months old. He never raced and was neutered and had his last vet visit in January.

Thanks

Guest mandm

Your vet may not have an account with Protatek, so you will probably have to do the shipping yourself. But it's easy and you will probably save a bundle compared to using whichever lab your vet normally sends tick panels to. And Protatek's turnaround is very fast, although it sounds like this is just a screening, he's not sick, so fast turnaround is probably not a concern for you.

Last time I did it was about 3 years ago. I gave the contact info to my vet, who got directions from Protatek on drawing and prepping the blood sample. The vet drew and prepped the blood and filled out the form -- charged me a reasonable fee, $10-$20, don't exactly remember. I packaged it up, included a check for the panel (about $60) and shipped it overnight to Protatek. Protatek faxed the results to my vet the next day.

I think it's smart to run a tick panel, even if he never raced. There are TBDs on the Okla farms.

http://www.protatek.com/reflab/index.html

Protatek did Phene's tick panel and they detected found his babesia.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest mandm

Your vet can call Protatek and they will advise based on where the dog has been. I have called and talked to the person answering the phone with questions about packing, shipping, forms, payment, but have not personally talked to Dr. Holland about which tests to run. My vet normally does that. But I have heard that Dr. Holland will also talk to regular folks who call with questions. I guess it would depend on your vet. My vet, bless her heart, likes to consult with other vets, always wants to know more about greyhounds, and likes to get the info first hand. So I generally leave that to her.

Guest Energy11

I used Protatek for ALL of my tick panels. The vet drew and spinned down the blood, and I sent it to Protatek. You can call them for the price, and just tell them you want to full greyhound tick panel. Last time I did one, it was about $47.00, but that was a while ago. THEY do it ALL there ... testing for all the tick-borne diseases.

Hope this helps! Good luck! D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zoolaine

Just got Jupiter's results back - all negatives!!! I ended up having my vet draw and prep the blood ($18) and they even gave me the box and cold pack to ship it with; overnight shipping via the post office was $27 and the testing was $67 for the basic tick panel and $25 for another test they recommended. So all together I spent $132 and saved a lot as my vet was going to charge well over $200 for the same thing. Thanks for all the info.

Hey, congratulations! I'm glad you had good news! I'm on the TBD road with Ehrlichia and Babesia. I'm now doing PCRs on both dogs to see if the parasites are "active". Neither dog is symptomatic, which is the good news.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014