Elsie Does Have Worms

So much for her being wormed at the farm!

In this mornings poop we were able to see the worms. We have the panacur to give her. Is this the right stuff or do we need drontal.

DH was the lucky one to see them and he is describing them as white, thic/flat and about 1/4 inch long.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Flat = tapeworms, she needs Droncit.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guess we are going to the vet earlier than I thought!

thanks.

I was given panacur but will hold off on giving it to her.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest KennelMom

You can go ahead and start the panacur. Droncit is a pill you give once that'll take care of the tapes. I usually worm with both at once with both just to be safe. She very well could have been wormed at the farm but with something that doesn't take care of tapes...tapes really aren't a huge deal unless the infestation is crazy out of control. They don't always shed their segments, either...so they can be hard to miss if someone looked on a particular day or at a particular time the tape wasn't shedding - they may not have thought she needed tape wormer. In dried/older poop they can be hard to see.

Ok will do the panacur too but aleady had breakfast (SHE EATS!) so will give tonight with dinner.

Guest twhitehouse

Lexi had tapeworm when we got her which we didn't know! They didn't show up in her poop until about 3-4 weeks after we got her. Probably should have guessed...she was SO skinny and wasn't gaining any weight.

Anyway, just called the vet, took in a sample, and got some medication. All better.

I wouldn't necessarily blame where she came from. Usually tapes require a two-time dewormer.. Droncit/Drontal and three weeks repeat the dosage. I've seen others who've required yet a third dosage.

They're tricky buggars ;)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I wouldn't necessarily blame where she came from. Usually tapes require a two-time dewormer.. Droncit/Drontal and three weeks repeat the dosage. I've seen others who've required yet a third dosage.

I didn't mean it to sound like I was blaming them! No blame. Meant it more like if she was wormed... she still has worms.

She had a wonderful and caring owner at the farm she was on.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Definitely tapes. There are several deworming meds and they don't cover every single type of worm so it's not a surprise that Elsie has a kind that was missed. She will be fine but I know it's totally gross!

I didn't mean it to sound like I was blaming them! No blame. Meant it more like if she was wormed... she still has worms.

No Biggie :)

Kinda a funny story. Uber had a suspected case of worms so I took him in for quick look and to get some Drontal. My vet looks at his head, checks out his heart, then goes to look at the "rear end" and say "I hope he doesn't have any worms poking out, I'll be really grossed out if he does". All I could do was laugh. This from my vet.. he who does surgeries and has expressed anal glands... grossed out by a little "grain of rice".

Feel better soon Elsie!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Robin, Bootsy had worms also. He had hooks, which are notoriously difficult to get rid of. In his case, he had 3 5-day treatments of panacur (which is NOT CHEAP), and is now on revolution to prevent reinfestation.

Good luck! And when do we get an official introduction thread for Elsie? With photos????

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest dogdreams

Nasal worms!

Vet said this is the first case he has treated. It is more common in Europe.

Buddy is sneezing, drip nose and head shakes. Took in fecal sample and alas nasal worms.

He was put on Panacur...fecal test: still has worms.

He just finished a serious of three shots of ivermectin and in two weeks another fecal test.

I don't think he is finished with the worms as he is still sneezing and drippy nose.

If they are still there ...we are going to try Panacur again.

Has anyone had expereince with this or even heard of it.

Nasal worms!

Buddy is sneezing, drip nose and head shakes. Took in fecal sample and alas nasal worms.

He just finished a serious of three shots of ivermectin and in two weeks another fecal test.

I don't think he is finished with the worms as he is still sneezing and drippy nose.

YOU WIN! THAT'S GROSSER THAN GROSS!

Guest widowcali

Worms know no friends. Bri came from a great rescue, and I know they worked on this type of thing too, but I think she has worms also. I know she had them when I got her, and I gave her some stuff, but I think it didn't get rid of them.

And when I adopted Widow, she had a horrible worm infestation. The rescue I got her from is great and really take care of the dogs. But the worms attacked anyway. It's just something that has to be watched for when you get a new baby.

And when I adopted Widow, she had a horrible worm infestation. The rescue I got her from is great and really take care of the dogs. But the worms attacked anyway. It's just something that has to be watched for when you get a new baby.

Race kennels, farms and adoption groups worm once a month for all the "regular" worms. Problem is, worms are on a three week cycle. So depending on when you get your dog, you can find worms. Tapes are a whole different matter. It's really hard to find them in a kennel/farm setting. You have to get lucky. Most race kennels I know treat for tapes once or twice a year.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
Nasal worms!

I've actually chatted with one of the vets with the groups we work and 2 of our hounds that have gone on to retirement have had nasal worms.

No idea how they get/got them but all I know is they had them.

Dr Carol said it wasn't a big deal