Red And Bleeding Eyes At The Inside Corner On The Skin

Guest 2greysmomma

Guest 2greysmomma

Does anyone have a problem with your greys eyes at the inside corner? Not in the eye but the skin at the inside corner.First it was red and slightly puffy, not something I was terribly concerned about but now I see it has been scratched until it bled a little. I have a new dog who must be having some allergic reaction to the heavy pollen in the air. I wonder is there anything I can put on the skin that would soothe the skin and not hurt him in any way? I will be taking him to the vet but don't want this to be an over blown problem if there is something I can do before I can get there. Thanks in advance.

Guest TexasGreytMom

I'm sure someone will reply soon who has more experience with this, but we've given our girls Benadryl when it appears they've had an allergic reaction. Not sure of anything topical that would work. I know that personally, when I've had eye conditions, sometimes the ointments, creams or drops that I think would be soothing have caused worse pain and burning, so I would be careful before treating the area directly (just my thoughts). Hope your pup feels better soon!

Guest Energy11

Benedryl for SURE will help the external itching. MY eyes have been driving me crazy lately with all the pollen! My Cari rubs her eyes, too.

I have NPD drops here, but they are more for infections, and one of mine, Goldie, has Pannus ... we use it for that, along with another med.

I am not sure if the NPD drops would help allergies, but they might! Might want to ask the vet about them. In the meantime, yes, 50 mg of Benedryl will help a lot!

Good Luck! D

Guest 2greysmomma
Does anyone have a problem with your greys eyes at the inside corner? Not in the eye but the skin at the inside corner.First it was red and slightly puffy, not something I was terribly concerned about but now I see it has been scratched until it bled a little. I have a new dog who must be having some allergic reaction to the heavy pollen in the air. I wonder is there anything I can put on the skin that would soothe the skin and not hurt him in any way? I will be taking him to the vet but don't want this to be an over blown problem if there is something I can do before I can get there. Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much for your prompt replies.

If you can get it on without getting it in her eye, you could try some hydrocortisone cream that's for anti-itching. If it's anywhere that it could get into her eye, don't try it.

The benadryl will help with the itching too.

greysmom:D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest FullMetalFrank

You may want to get some opthalmic polysporin ointment for her eye so it does not get infected (I believe you need to get the opthalmic ointment from your vet) and also Benedryl.

could it be a bite of somekind along with possible allergies?

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has discoid lupus and when he has a flare up sometimes it bothers the skin around his eyes and he'll rub them raw with his paws. Not much I can do about except try to stop him from scratching.

Guest 2greysmomma

Thank you all for your responses. I gave Romeo some benedryl last night and his eyes actually look better today.

Please make sure you get only Benadryl for ALLERGIES and NOT "allergy/sinus."

There is a difference.

It sounds like allergies to me as well.

Yes, I did make certain of that, thank you for your suggestions!

Guest 2greysmomma
Coco did this; we thought it was an environmental allergy, but it disappeared when we switched him to raw food.

You know we haven't really had Romeo long enough to know if it's a food allergy. He is on the same food as he was before he came to us and I think it might have been evident to Greyhound Friends if he had this condition prior to our adopting him. Good thought though if it doesn't settle down within the next month or so. He is a little better with one night of the benedryl so I hoping he'll be better with another dose tonight. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Coco did this; we thought it was an environmental allergy, but it disappeared when we switched him to raw food.

You know we haven't really had Romeo long enough to know if it's a food allergy. He is on the same food as he was before he came to us and I think it might have been evident to Greyhound Friends if he had this condition prior to our adopting him. Good thought though if it doesn't settle down within the next month or so. He is a little better with one night of the benedryl so I hoping he'll be better with another dose tonight. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

I meant to ask you, what do you mean by raw food? Literally?

Yeah. It's a little involved, but it means (at our house) chicken necks, beef heart, and assorted turkey parts- all uncooked. While poultry bones are exceedingly dangerous once they have been cooked, when they are raw they are well-digested and well-tolerated.

Under the right circumstances, it's not that much tougher than feeding kibble- although it certainly lacks in terms of convenience. For some animals, it's a pretty clear-cut choice; their... emissions are much better, for one. For another, it may preclude the need for annual anesthesia and dental cleanings. There may be other health ramifications, almost all of which have little or no acceptance in the veterinary community, but adherents are full of conjecture and anecdotal data.

However, if it is simply a food allergy, it may be enough to find a bagged food product without the irritating protein(s); suspect corn and wheat first, and move on to other ingredients if there's no marked improvement after several weeks of very careful elimination.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest 2greysmomma

Yeah. It's a little involved, but it means (at our house) chicken necks, beef heart, and assorted turkey parts- all uncooked. While poultry bones are exceedingly dangerous once they have been cooked, when they are raw they are well-digested and well-tolerated.

Under the right circumstances, it's not that much tougher than feeding kibble- although it certainly lacks in terms of convenience. For some animals, it's a pretty clear-cut choice; their... emissions are much better, for one. For another, it may preclude the need for annual anesthesia and dental cleanings. There may be other health ramifications, almost all of which have little or no acceptance in the veterinary community, but adherents are full of conjecture and anecdotal data.

However, if it is simply a food allergy, it may be enough to find a bagged food product without the irritating protein(s); suspect corn and wheat first, and move on to other ingredients if there's no marked improvement after several weeks of very careful elimination.

Thanks for the explanation.

Another thing you can try is giving fish body oil for the omega-3 fatty acids. It might be a seasonal allergy as my eyes are itching like crazy right now. I get mine from Puritan's Pride. They're always running specials (NAYY). It's good for the skin & is supposed to help reduce inflammation anywhere in the body.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis