Does Your Hounds Have Black Heads?

Three of my hounds have black head on their under parts near the chest area. I guess it is from laying in the dirt. Does anyone else have this problem? What have you done to get rid of them? I was told by the vet to use clearasil but I am very leary about doing this as they can lick the area where the black heads are. I know I saw on The Doctors some kind of patch you can apply and then remove which will pull black heads out but can't remember the name of it.

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I started a thread on this a while back. You can see it here. Basically I have learned that Greyhounds that sphinx get them on their chest area. Spencer doesn't sphinx and doesn't have any. I have left Buzz's alone because there's just too many of them but the thread has some ideas on how to get rid of them.

Guest UESBrindle

Yea, William had them too-- we did a warm compress, and a little bit of picking each night, followed by a bactine rinse so nothing got infected. We would squeeze out white goopy ones and black heads.. pretty yucky, but now he's fine!

Yea, William had them too-- we did a warm compress, and a little bit of picking each night, followed by a bactine rinse so nothing got infected. We would squeeze out white goopy ones and black heads.. pretty yucky, but now he's fine!

:nod That's what I would do with the kids at the kennel because sometimes they abcess if you leave them :( They also lay on newsprint a lot so I bet it's from ink in the newsprint too. I used a hemostat or tweezers most of the time but fingernails work too.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest BEANORACENOMO

Bea has them from time to time. I have found that a warm damp wash cloth will open the pores enough to give a light squeeze and the blackhead will slowly ooze. I make sure to wipe the area when I am done with ChlorhexiDerm Flush. It is an antimicrobial cleansing solution for dogs, cats, & horses.

We tried the warm compresses on Jams but that did not work, have not tried that with Penske or Hershey yet. Will try some of the other ideas though. I have to try and remember the patch that they showed on The Doctors

Is it the Biore patch?

Simon's always had blackheads on his chest, since I got him when he was 2. He's almost 14 now and seems to be surviving :rolleyes: I really just don't worry about it.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Is it the Biore patch?

Simon's always had blackheads on his chest, since I got him when he was 2. He's almost 14 now and seems to be surviving :rolleyes: I really just don't worry about it.

I don't know but will check with the pharmacy next time I am there. I am afraid to use clearasil on them

Most cases, you don't even have to squeeze. Warm (not hot) washcloth laid on the area for a minute or two, then wipe or gently scrub with Chlorhexiderm, Nolvasan, or similar *gentle* solution. Pat dry. Repeat daily. It'll take awhile, but they'll gradually go away with no trauma to anybody.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.