This Was Never Going To Be Easy.

Guest jenznaz

Guest jenznaz

I thought about posting this in Remembrance, but he's not gone yet, and maybe it would help someone else making decisions about mast cell tumor.

Back in late September we took Naz in to look at a funny wound above his hock that just wouldn't heal up. Turned out to be a mast cell tumor, grade 2. We did surgery with Dr. Hyatt at Pender Vet. Due to the awkward location they couldn't get it all - incomplete margins. They gave him 5 months. I decided against chemo at that time. We wanted Naz to be able to be his happy self for whatever time he had left, and not be stressed at being shuttled back and forth to the vet for chemo treatments, etc. just to be given another year. I can't say I don't still think about this decision, but it felt right to us at the time.

I had made his yearly check up appointment, excited that we could show the doctors how well he was doing, and then, ironically, last Sunday it came back. Just "poof" and there was a huge squishy lump in the same place. While waiting for our vet appointment we talked and talked about our worst case scenario, and the decision we were going to make. We knew in our hearts it couldn't be just a fatty deposit or something benign, though we wished. And it wasn't. Dr. Thorndike did the needle aspiration and it came back borderline Grade 3 this time. Sweet, wonderful Dr. Thorndike sat down in the floor with us and we talked. If we decided to do surgery again, then they'd have to do chest x-rays and tests first to see if it had spread, put him under for the surgery again, chemo, hope it doesn't come back.. She had lost her own grey a couple years earlier, and when she confessed she had waited too long to put him down we all just started sobbing.

My baby is only 6, my first dog, my first greyhound. I love this dog in ways that I cannot describe in words, in ways I never thought I would feel for an animal. And I had to make the decision not to do the surgery. Most days I'm okay with it. I truly believe dogs live every day to the fullest; that guilt and regret are human emotions. That I did everything I could for him, and that he was loved and happy in this incarnation. We're all in the mind frame to enjoy and spoil him to the utmost every day. And when the cancer starts to take him over, when he's less "himself" and starts to lose weight, I will hold him while he goes to sleep forever.

I just have to keep thinking: This was never going to be easy. If he lived to be 14 it would be just as painful as now. If we'd done multiple surgeries and chemo and other drugs, the cancer would still come back. I think I'm not dealing with this very well...

Guest jettcricket

.....my heart goes out to you. I lost my heart dog, Jett, to mast cell cancer last year. :(

Cherish the time that you have with your sweet baby. :heart .....sending good thoughts that you have much more quality time together.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'm so sorry :grouphug

We will never have enough time with them, ever. We love them too much for that. You made the right decision for you and Naz though. :grouphug

My heart goes out to you, none of us should ever have to be in this situation, nor should they.

I am keeping you both tucked in my prayers

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Don't let him pick up on your sadness dogs live for the now..........save you're grieving until - afterwards.

God bless you all.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest greydogluvr

I am in a similiar situation right now. I am crying with you and know the pain you are feeling. Love him and cherish each moment. It is so unfair. :cry1:brokenheart

Guest EmilyAnne

You right, no matter how old they are, it is still equally painful. My own 14 yr old has a carpal mast cell tumor. And it is so hard to know what is the right thing to do.

Stupid cancer. :weep

You have the right attitude and we are here for you every step of the way. :grouphug

Jen, my heart goes out to you. We had a similar situation years ago with our grey Ms. Dylan. She had a mast cell tumor and was successfully treated. Three months passed - then one morning there was a new one on her gums in her mouth. We had to say goodbye to her that same day. She was 8 years old and it broke my heart. We lost Hobbes last year at the age of 14. He was with us for 11 years and came to our home with Ms. Dylan. I can honestly say it doesn't matter how long you have them - it is just as painful.

Please know we all understand what you are going thru and our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Don't let him pick up on your sadness dogs live for the now..........save you're grieving until - afterwards.

God bless you all.

Agreed.

I am so sorry, cherish the time yo uhave now. let him have everything he never would be allowed to have and celebrate his life.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so, so sorry to read this. We'll be here for you, and thinking of Naz and all of you.

As awful as it is to have to make the decisions you've had to make, you're right that it was never going to be easier. I lost Oreo to a freak accident: I never had to make the hard decisions...but I didn't get a chance to say goodbye, either.

All our losses are beyond-belief hard...which may be why so many of us are crying now for you and Naz.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough.

Make each day special for you and him. Create memories.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest arlosmom

I lost my first grey and my heart dog last September to intestinal cancer. We did no chemo or treatment and let him go two weeks after we knew when he wouldn't eat or go out one morning. Big hugs to you. You know you have done everything right. Cherish your time left. :grouphug

Guest FreddyGirl

Spoil him, enjoy every moment, and remember, that you made the decision you felt best for Naz and your family. That is all you can do. Cancer does suck, too many wonderful dogs and their families suffer. Sending white light.

Guest silverjen

Hugs, and cherish the time you have.

I lost my heart dog at 13 to lung cancer... I had 9 days between her diagnosis and when it was clear to me the time has come to say goodbye. Those were the saddest days, but also the most peaceful I've ever had. I just stayed by her, and watched as she prepared for her journey.

Guest PiagetsMom
My baby is only 6, my first dog, my first greyhound. I love this dog in ways that I cannot describe in words, in ways I never thought I would feel for an animal. And I had to make the decision not to do the surgery. Most days I'm okay with it. I truly believe dogs live every day to the fullest; that guilt and regret are human emotions. That I did everything I could for him, and that he was loved and happy in this incarnation. We're all in the mind frame to enjoy and spoil him to the utmost every day. And when the cancer starts to take him over, when he's less "himself" and starts to lose weight, I will hold him while he goes to sleep forever.

I just have to keep thinking: This was never going to be easy. If he lived to be 14 it would be just as painful as now. If we'd done multiple surgeries and chemo and other drugs, the cancer would still come back. I think I'm not dealing with this very well...

I think you're being too hard on yourself and you're dealing with this very well. You're right...... this was never going to be easy. You make the best decisions and choices you can with the information you have for the pup that you know best and love......but, it's not always easy :grouphug

Guest lynne893

My heart breaks for you. Perhaps because I know I will be in the same circumstances with Timber someday, though perhaps due to different details.

You are doing all of the right things and making the right choices for your baby. You ARE. Listen to your instincts.

Love your hound to the fullest, as you are. That's all we can do for them, ever.