Greyhound Genetic Defects Research

Guest roughcountrygirl

Guest roughcountrygirl

Hi. I'm back, it's been a while. I am working on my senior research project for my Bachelors of Science in biology. I chose to do my research projects on those that I know best, my own greyhounds. I am finding out interest stuff, but I need some input. If anyone has any information to what health problems in geryhounds might be genetic because of breeding, please suggests them. And even if your grey has had something weird that was unexplainable, please tell me. It would help me and I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.

Amy

Hi :wave

Maybe you could look into PRA...I think it's Progressive Retinal Atrophy. My dog's littermate has it, so it is definitely a concern of mine.

clicky

And I can't help but wonder if corns are genetic...geez, I've never even heard of another type of dog having them and yet tons of greyhounds get them.

Edited by grey14me

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest roughcountrygirl

Corns! So simple, I almost overlooked it! Thanks! It does seem possible that it is a greyhound thing doesn't it?

This is what I gathered from the Cancer Study Locked topic:

idiopathic neurolgical autoimmune disease

malignant melanoma

nerve sheath tumor

cancer of the liver/spleen this month.

osteo on the spine

Enlarged Medial Retropharyngeal Lymph Node, Pericardial Effusion, possible right atrial mass, Peritoneal Effusion

Guest snaphappy

When our Suenos died, they found cardio-myopathy and pulmonary edema, both of which apparently are not common to greyhounds. They didn't say so, I but I wonder if there might be something genetic going on. If you find anything to that effect, I'd be *very* interested, as I have one of her babies here, as well.

Guest speedoketo

Osteosarcoma would be a great topic, dental problems, and PRA are all things that seem to happen with greater frequency in greys than in other breeds (ok Osteo affects big dogs in general but sooooooo many greys get it). Malignant melanomas could be interesting but I wouldn't consider that a special grey issue (LOTS of research is done on melanoma in gray horses). Pulmonary edema doesn't really just happen on its own, it typically is a symptom of a bigger problem (left sided heart failure, pneumonia, etc). Sounds like a fun project :) I don't know if you're interested in vet school or medicine in general but learning all about osteo would really give you a leg up when you learn about cancer.

Guest Cris_M

Just a reminder...

It is pretty hard to tell much about what is a genetic problem in greyhounds. Many genetic problems begin to show up as a dog ages. Only with the proliferation of greys as pets has there been much information on aging greys, and, for the most part, that information hasn't been gathered yet. Osteosarcoma is the most talked about possible genetic problem. That may or may not be true, but probably is.

My understanding is that dental problems are highly related to the shape of the mouth. If that is true, then saying dental problems are genetic in origin is just like saying poodles have hair that mats. A poodle's protective, long, curly hair was enhanced by selective breeding. A grey's aerodynamic head shape is the same.

Thank you for choosing such a fascinating researching project. I know we would all like to know what you discover.

BTW, Gabriel died of pancytopenia (leukemia, lymphoma, plus destruction of other blood components). That seems to be pretty rare, but you may find differently.

Guest KennelMom

Osteo would be interesting...

Also PRA. Esp since this is a recessive defect that's now been directly linked to two major sires: Molotov (7662 direct offspring on gh-data) and Greys Statesman (5300 direct offspring on gh-data). Since it's late onset it probably isn't even on the radar screen of racing breeders...not that there's really enough info about it in greyhounds to do anything anyway. The most you can do is not breed dogs known to be carriers....The danger of the "popular sire syndrome" is that recessive traits like PRA can become ingrained in a gene pool.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=190765&hl= (past thread on it)

Edited by KennelMom

Oh that's interesting, Kennelmom. I didn't realize that Greystatesman and Molotov were linked to PRA.. Uber is a Molotov and Echo is a Greystatesman.

As for Genetic conditions: PRA, or LS (lumbralsacral stenosis) would be good ones. Corns too. What about something like "Heart murmur vs. Athletic Heart"?

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie has been recently diagnosed as hypo-thyroid, and I have received some conflicting information...some saying it is really common in GH, and others saying it is merely over-diagnosed as a result of the differences in make-up of GH and other dog breeds. That might be interesting to look into.

Guest speedoketo

I didn't know teeth problems were related to the shape of the mouth, could anyone explain how this works to me? Oh dear I've got a Molotov boy but I'm betting a ton of you on here do as well but that was extremely interesting to find out.

Guest KennelMom
Oh that's interesting, Kennelmom. I didn't realize that Greystatesman and Molotov were linked to PRA.. Uber is a Molotov and Echo is a Greystatesman.

I know two direct Molotov offspring w/PRA and one Greys Statesman...that's just from posters here on GT. Being recessive, both parents have to have the recessive trait in order for it to be expressed in the offspring.

I know two direct Molotov offspring w/PRA and one Greys Statesman...that's just from posters here on GT. Being recessive, both parents have to have the recessive trait in order for it to be expressed in the offspring.

What about straight deformities? On here, there's Wabi, Ford and Stephanie, all Molotov related, who have cranial deformities. Wabi has more severe deformities throughout her body.

Didn't know about PRA, too! :unsure

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Has anyone ever checked to see if any of the seizure dogs are from the same bloodlines? I know I lost my Morgaine to status right after her 6th birthday and when researching her bloodline I saw that HB's Commander died of an aneurysm right after his 8th birthday. The e-vet said that without doing an autopsy we couldn't be 100% sure that it was status or an aneurysm.

My Aquitaine is in the HB's Commander bloodline as well so I do wonder. I can't imagine that out of all the offspring, my girl was the only one to seize. I seem to be reading more about seizures on here the past year or so.

She surely inherited the beauty and wonderful disposition from Molotov and Craigie Whistler!

Edited by carronstar

Idiopathic Greyhound Bleeding syndrome(see the new Greyhound book for trainers/vets).

Cash has it. Dr. Cuoto has worked on it. The really interesting thing is that it seems to be limited to a certain region of the country yet greyhounds are the only breed that get it? It is a whole separate syndrome/not DIC etc. It is listed in the new book as above.

Guest myjazzy

I was going to mention seizure disorder, but hypothiroidism and corns are also good ones to look into. Has anybody ever done any research on "bald-thigh syndrome" ? I know that is not a disease, but it may be genetic and/or related to other genetic conditions.

Also PRA. Esp since this is a recessive defect that's now been directly linked to two major sires: Molotov (7662 direct offspring on gh-data) and Greys Statesman (5300 direct offspring on gh-data). Since it's late onset it probably isn't even on the radar screen of racing breeders...not that there's really enough info about it in greyhounds to do anything anyway. The most you can do is not breed dogs known to be carriers....The danger of the "popular sire syndrome" is that recessive traits like PRA can become ingrained in a gene pool.

If both Molotov and Greys Statesman are carriers of PRA, there's potential for lots of greyhounds out there to have it. Greys Stateman's sisters, in particular Greys Julianna, were very good producers and very sought after as broods (and their daughters' daughters). Greys Julianna's second generation of offspring alone totals 666. Then Molotov has several sons who have gone on to be studs and his daughters have turned out to be even better producers than his sons... You see what I'm trying to say.

Another thing to consider is what branch of the family it comes from, if it's from HB's Commander the numbers increase exponentially. With Greys Statesman, if it comes from Representation, you are also talking a lot of dogs. She's in the Hall of Fame because of how productive (meaning producing good quality dogs, but that often also leads to quantity, because everyone want to breed them too) her offspring were.

Doing a genetic study of Greyhound bloodlines is not for the faint of heart, but it really needs to be done with a focus on inherited conditions. IMHO.

Thanks for the tip on Greys Statesman, Blast will be 11 in May and no signs of PRA.

Guest roughcountrygirl

Well, my kids are from Mankato, Molotov's brother. Thanks for everything. I think I got in over my head, but I know I have many different paths to follow. Thanks!