Deramax And Gastric Bleeding?

Guest GreyDogsRule

Guest GreyDogsRule

Three months ago our Sasha was diagnosed with HGE. The vet thought that it could be caused from the deramax she takes for arthritis. Has anyone seen anything about this?

Last night, actually this morning at 1 am, we took her to the emergency vet hospital because she was throwing up pools of blood. (Last time the blood was in her poo.) Sasha had been having bouts of diarhhea for a couple of days, in addition to not being able to poo at all. Then she started throwing up blood.

Another vet at our family vet office does not think HGE is caused by Deramax, and if it was, it would have occurred sooner. Sasha has been on the medicine for a couple of years before these incidents occured.

Thanks,

Curt

It could be. The NSAIDs (NonSteroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs) like Deramaxx are hard on the tummy. Could also be the case that she has some tummy irritation from something else, and the Deramaxx added insult to injury. Presume she has been taken off the med for now?

Sending hugs and hopes she is better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Like Batmom says- NSAIDs are known to cause small bleeds. In fact, this is probably one reason why aspirin may prevent heart attacks- by causing small amounts of blood loss through the gut. Same as giving blood, or menses in women: heart disease risk is reduced through chronic blood loss.

So, yes- stomach bleeds from NSAIDs aren't just possible, they're expected.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Yes, it could. I remember a thread by an ER worker indicating bleed outs of dogs on deramaxx.

What are the possible side effects of Deramaxx: Contact the veterinarian if the pet has abdominal pain, tenderness, or discomfort; bloody, black or tarry stools or blood in vomit; unexplained weight gain; water retention; fatigue or lethargy; skin rash; itching; yellowing of eyes; unusual bruising or bleeding as these symptoms could indicate serious side effects. If any of the following serious side effects occur, stop giving Deramaxx and seek emergency veterinary medical attention; an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; swelling of the lips; tongue or face; hives). Other less serious side effects may occur. Continue giving Deramaxx and talk to your veterinarian if your pet experiences flatulence or diarrhea; dizziness; headache; or insomnia. Other side effects may also occur. Talk to your veterinarian about any side effect that seems unusual or bothersome to the animal.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Yes, this is very much the case. I lost my Arielle suddenly when she was given Deramaxx for scapular osteo. She took one dose, and was violently ill from a GI bleed within a day. She was literally groaning in pain, and despite the best attempts of the E-clinic and my vet, had to be euthanized.

One dose.

I'll never allow it to be given to my dogs again.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest BlueCrab

Agree with Jordan's post. We had our GSD on Deramaxx a number of years ago - before many of the warnings came out. We didn't have problems, but once I'd read up on the problems and hazards with Deramaxx - which seem to be pretty high-risk, we took another course of action. I'd be extremely cautious with Deramaxx.

Guest GreyDogsRule

The interesting thing is that Sasha has been on Deramax for two years and had no trouble for the first year and a half. Our vet says problems with Deramaxx normally show up very quickly if they are going to at all. The responses seem to suggest that to be the case.

Our vet is now thinking Addison's disease. Two or three years ago, Sasha lost control of most of her ability to walk or stand. She would try to lift her body up and just fall back down again. The vet called it lower motor paresis. Luckily, it resolved itself over a few days. She had lots of tests including Tick borne disease, but all came back negative. Addison's disease was discussed if I remember right, but I don't think she was tested. She is being tested this time so we will know for certain in a few days.

The good news is that she is doing much better and will most likely come home tomorrow night. The vet techs just love her except she chewed through her IV once.

Guest lynne893

Timber was on Deramaxx for about 4 months, had the Deramaxx blood panel a couple of months ago, all fine.

Then last week, she threw up bloody bile and tarry poop.

Guest GreyDogsRule
Timber was on Deramaxx for about 4 months, had the Deramaxx blood panel a couple of months ago, all fine.

Then last week, she threw up bloody bile and tarry poop.

Little Sasha had the same problems. She has been at the vets since Tuesday night and seemed to be doing better. We thought she would come home today, but this morning the vet called and said she is in a lot of pain from her lower abdomen. She is running a slight temperature and blood was on the thermometer. Her heart rate is 140. Needless to say, she is not coming home today.

How is Timber doing now?

Sending more prayers.

Dog can have a bad reaction to NSAIDs early on, as you note, but it isn't uncommon for it to occur later. Maybe in combo with something else, maybe just because. Dog's metabolism can change over the years.

Really hope your pup improves and can come home soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lynne893

Hi GreyDogsRule,

Timber is doing better. Digestion not 100% back up to par, but we've started mixing in her regular kibble with the rice, chicken babyfood, etc.

She's on Carafate to protect her tummy, Pepcid and we switched her to Tramadol, off the Deramaxx. She was on Flagyl too, but finished that course.

Hugs to all with our poor hounds!