Mystery Limping?

Guest UESBrindle

Guest UESBrindle

I got home today to a limping dog. :blink:

The only thing out of the ordinary in the past 24 hours was that he ran more than usual at the dog park yesterday- but he didn't seem to have any problems at all with running.

Other than that, we can think of NOTHING. He only goes out when we walk him on a leash, so we know he didn't step on anything bad. His pads all look fine, and he'll let us touch the entire leg without a peep. Could he have tweeked a muscle running and have it show up 20 hours later?

He was just seen by the vet Thursday, and showed no problems at all---

What should I do? Is there anything that typically causes this? Anything I can look for? I feel that 2 vet visits in a week is a bit much, but will do if necessary. Should we just wait a day and see?

I have already ordered a dog medical book after worring about the goop coming out of his eye last week, but it hasn't arrived yet, so I'm still awating my reference material...

We give it the 3 day rule. If after 3 days he is still limping, I'd bring him in. YEs, it could be a muscle especially after exhursion. Do you have deramaxx or rimydal in the house? if so, 75 mg ONCE a day. If not, make sure you keep some in the house for times like this. it's an antiamflammatory.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Did you check his feet for corns?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Unless he's had very recent blood work done, I would not give any of the NSAID's.

If it doesn't get better in a few days and you decide to take him in, you don't want him on any drugs that are going to mask the pain.

Just my opinion

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

What do corns look like? Where do they tend to appear? What brings them on?

You would see them on his pads. Looks like a round spot, and if you press right on it, it's hard. Probably not the best description. I have no idea what bring them on but they're common and can really cause limping

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest UESBrindle

I googled them- and he doesn't have anything like that.

I think we'll just wait a few days and see if he gets any better. Fingers crossed!

I googled them- and he doesn't have anything like that.

I think we'll just wait a few days and see if he gets any better. Fingers crossed!

Let us know. He could just be sore from over doing it, especially if he's not used to running like that.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

:nod

Yep, what they all said. Give it a few days and feel free to call me if you have any questions. Try to limit his walks to just going out to the bathroom so he can rest up until Tuesday or Wednesday. I hope he's feeling better by then!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest KennelMom

I agree...just give it a few days. Soreness can show up the next day...ever worked out really hard one day and you don't feel it until you wake up the next day? Same thing for dogs. Sometimes pain is the body's way of slowing things down...giving a pain reliever to mask the pain can result in the dog over-doing it even more. So, for mild soreness we don't necessarily go straight to a pain reliever. Dogs can tolerate mild discomfort, just like humans can. And sometimes, it's actually the body protecting itself.

Guest UESBrindle

On his walk this morning, he was limping, but then also part hopping like a tripod, not even using his back left leg for stretches at a time.

If he's still looking bad tomorrow, we'll give Dr. Andy another call. We're also holding off on any meds so he won't overextend himself and also so we have a better idea of what's causing once a vet can take a look.

Guest agroshong

You also want to keep activity low to reduce strain. Does the muscle feel feverish or look swollen? These are observations that might help your vet. Abbey recently over did herself with a couple of hikes and was quite sore in both thighs. Meredith (turbotania) suggested arnica gel which you can get at natural market places. For Abbey, it was great for her strained muscles and is a short time frame solution as an alternative to pain killers. We found ours at Whole Foods in the health section, but I'm sure there's probably a natural market either in the UES or a within a reasonable subway ride.

And as a complete aside, I used to live at The Colorado at E86th & 3rd, back when it was still apartments. I miss that neighborhood so bad, sometimes.

Ooh, that arnica is a great idea. there is a GNC on 85th/2nd ave, I'll bet they have it.

I know you have checked his pads, have you checked in between his toes to see if something is stuck in there? Every so often Aquitaine will get something (acorns, pebbles, bits of wood) stuck in there and I have to get it out.

Guest UESBrindle

Rob will check for arnica when he goes down to Trader Joes/Whole Foods in a bit.

I did slip my pinky inbetween the toes to feel around last night and didn't find anything. The muscles look fine, but when I touch his lower leg, I can feel a little bit of a shaking sensation that I don't feel on the other legs, but I'm not sure if that's just because he's nervous about me handling him.

When he lets us poke around, nothing seems to provoke a whine or yelp, so I'm still guessing sore muscles, but will be curious to see how long it lasts.

Guest UESBrindle

We have the arnica gel. Where should we apply it? Are there specific spots on the leg that would need it most? or just spread it all over?

Guest agroshong

Hope you figured this out before now, but it is for muscle strain, so you will want to apply it to his thigh muscles -- about from his hip bones down to his knees along that muscle. You use it just like you would any other topical muscle reliever that you would use on yourself.

Hope he's feeling a bit better!

Arnica gel is great and the other thing you may want to get is Traumeel gel. The Traumeel is an anti-inflammatory with arnica in it. I always have it on hand for pull muscles or strains. Great stuff!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest UESBrindle

We put the arnica on his muscle. Still waiting to see how that goes.

Also, I figured I'd finger around in his paw some more- and I'm not sure, but felt something I didn't feel in any of the others. I felt a little ball, about the size of a small pearl inside the webbing of the middle two toes. Even though We were messing with it a bit to see if he had any "ouch" reaction, he had none.

Then I took him on a short walk to do his business, and nearly the entire time he was walking like a tripod (and he was actully moving quicker than our regular walk -- so I'm not sure if walking like a tripod was just propelling him faster for the sake of keeping his balance, or he was hurting so bad he just wanted to go quick.)

Also, when he pees, he tends to favor standing on his back left leg (the one with the problem) and was still doing it at the begining of his walk, but towards the end, would try to pee "regular" and I guess it hurt to much, so he just walked away instead of standing on his right leg.

Ug, I just don't like seeing him clearly in pain to use his foot/leg. I wish he could just tell me what's wrong... :whisper

Has anyone else ever found any little bumps inbetween the webbing of toes?? Any idea what it is?

Can you take pics at all? Sometimes these things don't show up in photos...but if you could post a photo it would help people here figure out what the problem might be.

Feel better soon, William! :kiss2

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest UESBrindle

I don't think we could get a good picture-- we can't spread his "toes" wide enough to get a good shot, and even then, it's something I could only really feel, and could hardly see with Rob's headlamp..

Guest LindsaySF

Check between his toes for ticks, the object being small and round made me think of that. We have gotten dogs off haulers that had ticks stuck up between their toes, they are easy to miss unless you are looking for them.

Hopefully it is just a muscle strain and heals soon.

Checking in to see how the prince is doing today...

I would take a closer look at that foot if I were you. Muzzle, somebody to rub his ears, and a flashlight. Could be something as simple as a splinter or a little cyst. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.