Introducing Capri

Greetings from another Northern Va family! Capri is a cutie!

Hey neighbor! Do you happen to know of any Grey play groups in our area? We're going to help out with meet and greet events for our adoption agency. It would be good to get her more time with other greys too. We can tell she misses her doggie companions.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Greetings from another Northern Va family! Capri is a cutie!

Hey neighbor! Do you happen to know of any Grey play groups in our area? We're going to help out with meet and greet events for our adoption agency. It would be good to get her more time with other greys too. We can tell she misses her doggie companions.

Hi and welcome! I know Greyhound Welfare has some walks, etc and some are in N.Va... And we don't mind if you vol. with another group - the more the merrier!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post an update. We've had Capri for almost a month now, and she's settling in nicely. We've had a few behavioral landmarks and she melts my heart on a daily basis. I've mentioned before how wonderfully she heels on the leash, and we're reinforcing that by taking her to high-excitement places like Petsmart/Petco and our nearby bike trail where there are always lots of walkers/dogs/bicycles/skaters.

Late last week she broke her usual pattern of playing with her toys for 2.3 seconds/day by playing with her stuffed hedgehog off and on ALL DAY. And carrying it around the house.

Last weekend I discovered that I'm not allowed to sleep in, no matter what. I had a bad night, so when the alarm went off, hubby said he would let her out to potty while I kept sleeping. When they came back in, here comes Capri to whine at me until I got up. I sat on the floor by the bed thinking I'd pet her a little and then sleep on the floor next to her, but she ran downstairs again. So I got back into bed. A few minutes later, here she is again INSISTING that I get my sorry butt out of bed. Sheesh, okay, yes maam. :lol:

This morning on our walk we met a neighbor with what looked like a wiemeraner/lab cross. The dog clearly wanted to meet Capri but when we got close he was showing signs of fear. His owner said he had been abused so he was afraid of people and dogs. By then we were close enough they could sniff each other, but her dog leaned away and went around us at a safe distance. I figured, let him sniff Capri and see she's no threat. Capri impressed me by acting like a perfect angel - like one of Cesar Milan's dog's - by calmly standing there and allowing the dog to sniff her bottom. The dog wouldn't sniff my hand or let Capri sniff him, but it was very, very good of Capri to let him approach her as much as he wanted.

I think we may be ruined for all other dogs. Because really, surely there's no way we can get another dog this terrific right out of the starting gate, is there?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

Guest Harry702

:welcome Another welcome from NoVA. Welcome to the greyhound cult... er, I mean, club. :lol

I think we may be ruined for all other dogs. Because really, surely there's no way we can get another dog this terrific right out of the starting gate, is there?

Many greyhounds slip into home life like they've lived there all their lives. It's one of the amazing things about the breed. Sounds like you got one of the best on your first try. Enjoy her!

And if you're looking for a local greyhound meetup group: www.runninghounds.com. We have a yahoo group that you can join here: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/runninghounds/ Most of the walks I've attended are mostly Greyhound Welfare folks, but we're a non-denominational bunch in general... it's open to any and all greyhound people.

:welcome Another welcome from NoVA. Welcome to the greyhound cult... er, I mean, club. :lol

Many greyhounds slip into home life like they've lived there all their lives. It's one of the amazing things about the breed. Sounds like you got one of the best on your first try. Enjoy her!

And if you're looking for a local greyhound meetup group: www.runninghounds.com. We have a yahoo group that you can join here: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/runninghounds/ Most of the walks I've attended are mostly Greyhound Welfare folks, but we're a non-denominational bunch in general... it's open to any and all greyhound people.

Awesome, thanks, I just joined it. I'm sure Capri misses being around other greys, so this is great. BTW, I LOVE your sig. The camera angle or something is just spot on and makes the photo gorgeous!

Guest Nitemare

She is absolutely gorgeous and so happy to hear how quickly she is adapting. It is truly amazing how the love you have for these guys just continues to grow. I have had mind for 11 months and 8 months and they keep surprising me, delighting me & making me smile and my heart melt.

• 10 months later...

Today is Capri's first Gotcha Day, and we still couldn't be happier with her. A whole year and she's still blossoming. The latest developments were that she started playing more during the winter, and the last month or so she's been becoming snuggly. Her true personality has also blossomed and although she's a total angel, she does have a mischievous streak. Her favorite way to play with us is a doggie version of "capture the flag". I'll take a toy into the other room, she follows and takes it away from me and runs away. I go get it again and repeat. Sometimes that's so exciting that she just starts sprinting with the toy in her mouth around and around the house, before she comes to a stop blowing like a tired racehorse.

Oh, and next Friday is her birthday and she will be six years old!

Edited by jetcitywoman

Happy 1st Gotcha Day Capri...and an early happy 6th birthday. :b-day Hope you enjoy many many more :confetti

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Drumhellergrey

Well, reading back to your first post ,it's a little late to say welcome. So instead I will say HELLO from Alberta, Canada. Capri is a great looking dog. :wave