Fenway Is Sick

Guest FenwaysDad

From one Fenway to another, I hope your pup is feeling much better by the morning with the IV and care. Sounds like you have a great vet there!

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sending prayers for Fenway :hope :hope :hope

how scary :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest FenwaysDad

We haven't heard anything yet. It's taking everything I have not to call, but our vet promised he'd call before noon.

He has not been tested for Giardia, but I will mention that to our vet. We haven't had any standing water here really...in fact we have 3 inches of fresh snow...but I will definitely ask about it.

Thanks!

sending more prayers for Fenway! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest FenwaysDad

We just heard from our vet. Fenway hasn't thrown up again and appears to be keeping his medication down. He still is having bloody stools, but it doesn't sound as bad as yesterday. Our vet is keeping him on an IV for now and is running some blood tests. He thinks that Fenway is showing some signs of Addison's Disease, which is what one of the blood tests is for. He is going to update us again this afternoon.

Our vet also told us that Fenway is being a very good boy, and he is enjoying him. :)

Guest IrskasMom

I am absolutly astonished that you as his Dad is soooo concerned about this Boy . It's usualy the Mom who goes to

pieces on our Baby's .It is Heartbreaking to see them ill and don't know what to do or whats causing it. You have a wonderful

Vet that cares more then so many others. Keeping my Fingers crossed and sending :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

and Prayers :hope:hope:hope and :dogcookie for Fenway.I will be checking in for Updates.

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest FenwaysDad
I am absolutly astonished that you as his Dad is soooo concerned about this Boy . It's usualy the Mom who goes to

pieces on our Baby's .It is Heartbreaking to see them ill and don't know what to do or whats causing it. You have a wonderful

Vet that cares more then so many others. Keeping my Fingers crossed and sending :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

and Prayers :hope:hope:hope and :dogcookie for Fenway.I will be checking in for Updates.

We are expecting our first child (a girl!! :)) next month. After seeing Fenway go though what he did yesterday...I can't even begin to imagine how heart-wrenching it will be to see her sick.

Our vet didn't say what signs he's seeing that could be Addison's. I hadn't heard of it before, so I didn't know what to ask on the spot. Hopefully the blood work comes back okay.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the well-wishes and prayers.

Guest ChancesMom
We are expecting our first child (a girl!! smile.gif) next month. After seeing Fenway go though what he did yesterday...I can't even begin to imagine how heart-wrenching it will be to see her sick.

Congratulations on your upcoming very special event. I can tell you one thing. Anytime she is sick you will always wish it were you instead of her, anytime she is hurt you will wish it were you hurting, and the list goes on. All we can do is love them (our children and our hounds) and be there for them.

Continued prayers for Fenway.

I suppose anything is possible, but I doubt it's Addison's. Sounds more like HGE or a bug. Is he familar with greyounds?

Congrats on the upcoming arrival :)

I have been watching this thead and have had my prayers going for Fenway. Whaty type of blood tests did the vet do to make him come up with possibly addisons?

Beau had mnay of the symtpom you noted several months ago.

Severe "D" throwing up, some blood in stool (actually that was once and once was enough!!), not eating.

We literally had every test we could, plus some mor for good measure and we even repeated tests. We are not able to come to a final diagnosis until the open exploratory surgery which revealed the severe IBD.

I am not suggesting Fenway has IBD, but I am wondering why the addisons diagnosis? Does your vet treat many greyhounds?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Whaty type of blood tests did the vet do to make him come up with possibly addisons?

If I understood the OP correctly, the vet saw what he thought could possibly be Addisons and is running the approroate blood work.

The "signs" he saw weren't specified

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest FenwaysDad
If I understood the OP correctly, the vet saw what he thought could possibly be Addisons and is running the approroate blood work.

The "signs" he saw weren't specified

That is correct, our vet has not diagnosed Addison's. I guess I wasn't clear in my post - he saw something (again, I'm not sure exactly what) that made him think that Addison's is a possibility and something to test for...but he is not looking only at Addison's. He drew blood samples this morning and has not called with the results.

Unfortunately he doesn't treat many Greyhounds, but there aren't any locally that do see many...this is a fairly rural area and there just isn't a high population of Greyhounds around. However I know he has attended at least one veterinary seminar specific to Greyhounds (I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's more than our other options), and he is definitely aware that Greyhounds have lots of idiosyncrasies. I am 100% certain he is researching this with that in mind.

Guest SoulsMom

When Soul had his severe bout with HGE my vet also tested for Addisons. GI bleeding is one of the symptoms so my vet wanted to be thorough.

Guest LindsaySF

Regardless of the fecal exam results, I would give him Panacur and Flagyl. Try a bland diet for a while too and see if that helps.

Best of luck!

GI bleeds, puking, lethargy and weight loss are symptoms of Addisons. My brother's chocolate lab was thought to have it. When I read up, it said they did a blood draw, gave an injection of some stuff (name escapes me) and then a blood test to measure levels because with addisons, they don't make enough cortisol. Preliminary blood work before the test checks BUN and creatinine levels.

I read about it here when Weezer was sick: Addison dogs

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

GI bleeds, puking, lethargy and weight loss are symptoms of Addisons. My brother's chocolate lab was thought to have it. When I read up, it said they did a blood draw, gave an injection of some stuff (name escapes me) and then a blood test to measure levels because with addisons, they don't make enough cortisol. Preliminary blood work before the test checks BUN and creatinine levels.

I read about it here when Weezer was sick: Addison dogs

It's an ACTH just like they do with Cushings

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest FenwaysDad

Our vet called again. Fenway is not out of the woods yet, but he's doing a lot better. His blood work looked good except for his platelets and proteins, which is a result of the bleeding and diarrhea. It is not Addison's. He has had no further diarrhea or vomiting, and he's responding to his meds. He ate some chicken (didn't touch the rice) and "overall his attitude is very good." :)

Our vet is going to keep Fenway tonight, on an IV, and tomorrow he'll see how he does without the IV. Hopefully all goes well, and maybe we can bring him home tomorrow sometime.