Easter Safety

I'm preparing a safety list for Easter.

What else could be added to this list? Have any answers to these questions?

No chocolate.

HOw bad would jelly beans be on a dog?

Keep all candies out of reach.

Would the foil on a candy wrapped pass through a dog's system?

Am I correct in thinking that the plastic "grass" in an Easter basket could harm a dog's bowels like tinsel could?

Hard boiled eggs are OK.

Accidentally eaten shells OK?

What about dyed eggs? I presume they should be safe since dyes are kid-safe.

Door and gate safety as company comes/goes.

Children's stuffed animals - are plastic eyes or other plastic parts a hazard?

Dogs shouldn't be fed ham, especially the fatty pieces.

Hazards of hiding Easter baskets inside the house or outside.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest DarkHorse

I only have an answer for the foil... it'll pass and you'll have sparkly poop. Parents' old dog once ate an aluminum foil wrapped piece of ham... just pooped the foil out the next day. Wasn't pretty but he didn't seem to have any long term effects.

Check for gate safety. People have company and people don't always close gates behind them.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

A dog will live through jelly beans as well as a poop out sparkly poop if they eat kisses or something along those lines. That foil is very very thin.

Don't know about the grass -- could be bad but probably not as bad as tinsel because it is metallic.

I wouldn't make anyone throw up if they ate an egg shell and all. Dye should be FDA food coloring so that should be fine.

Stuffed animal eyes I wouldn't worry too much about in the amount of time it takes to hunt eggs and eat dinner unless you have a stuffie destroying machine. If the kids are around dogs all the time they should know to put up stuffies.

Why can't they have a few bites of lean ham? There might be a sodium or nitrate concern to some, but doesn't seem like a few bites would hurt them (hasn't any of mine).

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I guess I would just add to the list for people to be mindful of keeping an eye on both kids and dogs when together. Like if a kid is running around hunting for eggs and a dog is present, make sure adults aren't so caught up in how the cute the kid is that they forget to be vigilant.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I wonder about the jelly beans, and any other candy for that matter. Isnt there something bad about some sweetener that is used in gum that is supposed to be deadly in small doses for dogs? And if so, could it be in candy?

Isnt there something bad about some sweetener that is used in gum that is supposed to be deadly in small doses for dogs? And if so, could it be in candy?

The dangerous sweetener is Xylitol, and it usually turns up in "sugar-free" gum, maybe in candy, too. Details here.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Greensleeves
Live bunnies and little chickies and ducklings that some people give to their kids at Easter. :huh

Gosh, I would HOPE that any greyhound owner would be smarter than that! :eek

Mine have enjoyed the occasional Jelly Belly with no ill effects.

I too want to know what a small tiny nibble of ham would do to a dog.

Oops, I meant to respond to you and Pam earlier.

Some, but certainly not all of my dogs, have gotten very mild gastritis after eating cooked ham. I chalk it up to my DH giving them the fatty end pieces rather than the leaner and in giving them too much.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png