Mya Is In Pain - Don't Know Why

Guest dray1965

Guest dray1965

I'm a fairly new greyhound mom - I've had Mya, my foster dog for a little over a year. She had a history of bad teeth when she came to me and after having seemingly constant gum and teeth issues, she ended up having 9 teeth extracted last Sept/Oct. Since that time she's been having episodes of screaming in pain - sometimes 3-4 times in a week! Some weeks she goes along without a problem. She was diagnosed about 3 months ago with a bad disk in her neck. Currently she is on pred and carbomethonal (muscle relaxer), but she is still having these episodes. Her mouth has been re-checked, but at this point I've been told her mouth is fine. There is no pattern to these pain episodes - they happen in the middle of the night and she's sleeping, or on our walks or when I first walk in the door or even when we are getting to go out for a walk! She does walk around with her head hanging low, refuses her dog biscuits (which she used to LOVE), and lately I have noticed that sometimes when she is walking her tail is hanging straight down and I don't know if that's normal at all. She eats and drinks well, and she pottys fine. Any advice? I will be talking to my foster home supervisor again, but I wondered if anyone here has any ideas as to what it could be? Thanks,

well, one thing I would suggest is no walks other than short potty walks. with back/neck issues it takes a long time to heal and really any movement can be a step backwards as far as her getting better. she should not be allowed to play or run in the yard or anything like that for many weeks, until she's healed.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Poor baby girl. I think she needs a full set of x-rays and at the very least, a full check up. How old is she and is there any reason she is not being adopted? I think it's greyt you've opened your heart and home to her.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Complete rest is crucial - only potty walks on a leash - nothing more. Sure hope she feels better soon!

Welcome to GT! You will find a wealth of information here!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest dray1965
Welcome to GT.

Have you consulted a veterinarian that does acupuncture?

That is one thing that my foster supervisor has mentioned. I will be talking to her this weekend so I will bring that up again when I tell her the kind of week Mya has had.

Complete rest is crucial - only potty walks on a leash - nothing more. Sure hope she feels better soon!

Welcome to GT! You will find a wealth of information here!

She really only does potty walks on a leash. I live in a condo and there are no enclosed areas where she can run around or anything like that. Mya is a very laid back older dog - she is 8yrs old.

Guest dray1965
Poor baby girl. I think she needs a full set of x-rays and at the very least, a full check up. How old is she and is there any reason she is not being adopted? I think it's greyt you've opened your heart and home to her.

After I talk to the foster supervisor again, we may yet get the x-rays, she has gotten check ups by two vets. Mya is 8yrs old and I think that is part of the reason she's not being adopted out. I also don't think the group wants to separate us! I can't afford to adopt her or any greyhound at this point, but if I could, I'd do it in a second! She's such a sweet puppy! Gets along great with my three kitties as well.

I've been reading the Greytalk forums for awhile now and I can sense there is a lot of caring and support available through this network.

I'll keep everyone posted as we go along here. Thank you all!

If she's walking with her head hanging low, I'm guessing her neck hurts her.

One of my boys had bone spurs in his neck and when he started to hang his head low, I knew he was in pain. Acupuncture really helped him as well as pain meds.

Also might be a good idea not to walk her with a collar, use a harness. And please keep us posted

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

The harness is an excellent idea. thank you for taking such good care of her for so long. 8 is so young. I adopted my first broodie at 8.5 and I am adopting my 2nd broodie in 3 weeks. She will be 10 in May.

8 is a spring chicken!!! I do hope you get to the bottom of this for her sake and so the 2 of you can start enjoying each other again.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest dray1965
The harness is an excellent idea. thank you for taking such good care of her for so long. 8 is so young. I adopted my first broodie at 8.5 and I am adopting my 2nd broodie in 3 weeks. She will be 10 in May.

8 is a spring chicken!!! I do hope you get to the bottom of this for her sake and so the 2 of you can start enjoying each other again.

I forgot some details in my original post. I do use a harness with her, we've already gone down the road of no using the collar with a leash. So that's good. Yes, I really hope to get her better soon. She is sound asleep next to my chair here, like the angel she is and I just want her to be comfortable and happy like she started out to be.

Lou suffers from the same, poor thing. He usually gets this pain about 1x every 3 mths. He starts out with head hanging real low, and can't find a comfortable position. At first sign I give him his dexamethasone and then muscle relaxer.

I block all stairs with baby gates and then potty breaks only. Sometimes a heating pad, with supervision, will help.

I would seek out a chiropractor, that has totally helped Lou. And yes, a no pull harness is better than collar.

Guest dray1965
Lou suffers from the same, poor thing. He usually gets this pain about 1x every 3 mths. He starts out with head hanging real low, and can't find a comfortable position. At first sign I give him his dexamethasone and then muscle relaxer.

I block all stairs with baby gates and then potty breaks only. Sometimes a heating pad, with supervision, will help.

I would seek out a chiropractor, that has totally helped Lou. And yes, a no pull harness is better than collar.

It seems like anyone else whose baby has this problem has episodes months apart - she's 3 to 4 times a week! Perhaps the key is to just keep her rested. Still have to find out more from the vet I guess.