Omg What Is This?

Guest Leah

Abbey has a swollen toe so I took her to the vet this morning. This afternoon she was on the floor sleeping and I noticed these red and blue places on her leg. Could she have fallen off the xray table? They showed me a spot on one leg where she did scratch her leg on the table but not all of this! Should I call them Monday and ask what happened? Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?

This has been an awful week :(:(

post-12968-1238272822.jpg

post-12968-1238272855.jpg

editing to add she hurt her toe earlier in the week, but with things going on with Romeo we had to wait to take her. Also I was giving her some rimadyl here to see if that would take care of it. So the bruising is not related to the hurt toe.

Edited by Leah

I think I would show them the pictures, and ask if they know how this happened. Based on what I am seeing, I have a feeling they did not tell you the whole story!

But then again, how/when did she injur her toe? Could this be bruising related to the original injury?

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Is the bruising on the same leg as the swollen toe? What was the dx?

I would go to the vet's office and ask whomever xrayed her to reinact just how she fell off the table and THEN show them the photos.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Her toe looked fine on the xray. The swollen toe is on the front leg and this is her back leg. Could she have hit harder than they thought and the bruising came up later? I hate this!! Life has been so unfair to my hounds lately :(

I think I would show them the pictures, and ask if they know how this happened. Based on what I am seeing, I have a feeling they did not tell you the whole story!

But then again, how/when did she injur her toe? Could this be bruising related to the original injury?

I agree, I would ask them... Something don't sound right? I hope she feels better. :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greytfostermom

Is it possible that they bruised her...holding her down for the x-ray? Sure is strange.... If you don't like their answers, might be time to switch vets.

Guest Pipi5

That does look strange. And the bruising actually looks like fingers, pressing down on her leg but at the same time, she may have hit that leg while falling off the table. They might not have even realized the rear end was slipping/falling off the table when she did it.

I would put some ice on it, maybe 20 mins on, 20 mins off. That usually helps with bruising, at the same time, I'd take some pictures of it if it changes.

I'm not an expert on the effects of Rimadyl, but would it make her bruise easier?

If it wasn't there before you took her in, I sure would be asking some questions.

If you have any on hand, arnica gel is really good for bruising.

It has been a rough week for you, I'm sorry...try to hang in there

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest LolasMom
Is it possible that they bruised her...holding her down for the x-ray? Sure is strange.... If you don't like their answers, might be time to switch vets.

I have to admit I had the same thought. I hope she's doing well today and things go a little brighter for you.

If she fell off the table, more likely to be bruised on the outside of herself somewhere than on the inside of her leg. Bruises likely from tech grabbing her if she slipped (presumably how she scratched her leg?) and/or holding her still for the x-ray. Sure wouldn't hurt to let them know, but as long as she doesn't have swelling there and the bruises don't keep spreading, I wouldn't worry about it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If she fell off the table, more likely to be bruised on the outside of herself somewhere than on the inside of her leg. Bruises likely from tech grabbing her if she slipped (presumably how she scratched her leg?) and/or holding her still for the x-ray. Sure wouldn't hurt to let them know, but as long as she doesn't have swelling there and the bruises don't keep spreading, I wouldn't worry about it.

My thoughts exactly. Fenway's had worse bruising from playing with his pals! While I realize that it's not "good" to see bruising like that, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest SoulsMom

Soul had something that looked like that after his overnight stay in ICU in November. It looked like an awful rash or bruising of some sort. He either had a reaction to the bedding they used, or he beat the crap out of himself because he is 'claustrophobic' and hates to be in a cage. It was also pretty painful to him, he cried out when he had to hop out of the car and his harness put pressure on his chest. Here is what Soul's looked like:

Soul003.jpg

It was actually redder than what showed up in the photo. I put bag balm on it and it seemed to clear up in a few days. None the less, my vet wanted to see him to check it out just to be sure everything was ok.

Edited by SoulsMom

IF she fell of the x-ray table and they did not tell you... :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest TBSFlame
Her toe looked fine on the xray. The swollen toe is on the front leg and this is her back leg. Could she have hit harder than they thought and the bruising came up later? I hate this!! Life has been so unfair to my hounds lately :(

Poor Abbey. Greys can bruise so easily. She could have just bumped her leg. Did they try to get the x-ray with her awake? Did you see the bruise on Sail's tummy? I have no idea how she got that.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

that really looks like bruising..... D.C took a dive down the stairs 2 weeks ago and she was covered in brusies ( thank god that was all).

Guest ThunderPaws

Looks like bruises from a hand and fingers... :unsure

The vet I used to go to does dental cleanings awake. One time poor Waldo came home bruised all along the insides of his thighs and up his belly. He was so stressed that he almost bit me when I checked it out, he'd never done that before.

When I asked the vet tech how that happened she laughed and said that she had to wrestle him down to hold still. :angryfire

Needless to say I switched vets!

Hope Abby is getting better!

The bruise looks better today. I called and spoke with the vet and she confirmed that Abbey had bumped her leg on the table but they thought it just scratched her leg. She said her plateletes could be low and wants her to have some blood work.

Soul had something that looked like that after his overnight stay in ICU in November. It looked like an awful rash or bruising of some sort. He either had a reaction to the bedding they used, or he beat the crap out of himself because he is 'claustrophobic' and hates to be in a cage. It was also pretty painful to him, he cried out when he had to hop out of the car and his harness put pressure on his chest. Here is what Soul's looked like:

Soul003.jpg

It was actually redder than what showed up in the photo. I put bag balm on it and it seemed to clear up in a few days. None the less, my vet wanted to see him to check it out just to be sure everything was ok.

Oh my gosh that looks so awful. Does look like he was beat up.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest silverjen

My Lila got pretty extensively bruised from an xray session a couple of weeks ago. She didn't fall off, it was just the techs trying to hold her still. My vet checked her platelets out of a similar concern, and hers turned out normal. The bruising was probably exacerbated by the Previcox she was taking--NSAIDs can thin the blood. I hope you get the same result.

Yep, I'm thinking it was the vet tech holding the dog down that caused the bruising. When Stoner was at the vet's and they were putting him on an OR table he fought it like a banchee. I'm thinking this looks like the same thing. And there is a real thin line between needing to be firm with the animal so they can get a good x-ray and being abusive. Go with your gut on this.

Suzy