Billy Is Going To The Vet Again....

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

Billy has had diarrhea again for over a week. I had talked to the vet when it 1st started and we put him on rice and chicken/hamburg. He still has expolsive diarrhea and vomited this morning. He looks like he has lost soooooo much weight. I am so concerned about him. I am going to the vet with him tonite. She said that she wants to do blood work to see if he has a malabsorption issue. I just don't know what to do anymore. :(

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

I'm sorry Billy's not getting any better :( I know how tough it is when they're sick and the vets don't have answers for us.

I'm sure your vet has done this already, but have they done xrays to rule out a partial blockage and has he been tested for tick disease?

Guest Annie

I am so sorry that you don't know what's going on with your precious Billy! It's terribly difficult to see them in pain and not know what to do about it! :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Sending prayers for Billy for a DX and treatment that will work for him! :hope:hope:hope

We went through this with Beau- is Billy eating?

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest CDNgreys

I hate medical mysteries!!

My boy was doing the same thing and the vets came up with mega esophagus. I think they were reaching.......

I sure hope your boy gets better soon!! :candle

Guest houndlover

I know....you and Beau were the 1st ones that I thought of when Billy got worse again. He is eating and he has a great appetite but he just continues with diarrhea. The vet drew blood tonite but didn't realize until after she drew it that the 2 tests require a 12 hour fast and Billy had eaten his dinner already. I have an appt Saturday for nail trims for the boys so I will fast Billy before that and we can do a blood draw again. In the meantime she suggested trying to give him oatmeal and immodium. She thinks that it might be pancreatic enzyme deficiency. The 2 tests that she wants to run are: radioimmunoassay of serum trypsinlike immunoreactivity (TLI), a blood test to rule out exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, a maldigestive disorder that often presents with similar signs and Folate and cobalamin (vitamin B12) levels, which are blood tests that assess for malabsorption and bacterial overgrowth.

Hopefully I will have some answers soon b/c I am not kidding when I say that Billy is wasting away in front of my eyes. His normal weight is 80lbs. He was 75lbs about a month ago and he was 69lbs tonite. I want to cry everytime I look at him b/c I don't know what to do to make him better. :sad1

I'm sorry Billy's not getting any better :( I know how tough it is when they're sick and the vets don't have answers for us.

I'm sure your vet has done this already, but have they done xrays to rule out a partial blockage and has he been tested for tick disease?

We didn't do an x-ray but I had an abdominal ultrasound done back in October and there wasn't a blockage. He has been tested for tick diseases also. I really am at a loss as to what else we should do. I have been dealing with this on and off since the fall of last year. It just seems like a vicious circle where he gets better and then gets worse for no apparent reason. Thanks for your suggestions and for everyone's thoughts and prayers.

I know....you and Beau were the 1st ones that I thought of when Billy got worse again. He is eating and he has a great appetite but he just continues with diarrhea. The vet drew blood tonite but didn't realize until after she drew it that the 2 tests require a 12 hour fast and Billy had eaten his dinner already. I have an appt Saturday for nail trims for the boys so I will fast Billy before that and we can do a blood draw again. In the meantime she suggested trying to give him oatmeal and immodium. She thinks that it might be pancreatic enzyme deficiency. The 2 tests that she wants to run are: radioimmunoassay of serum trypsinlike immunoreactivity (TLI), a blood test to rule out exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, a maldigestive disorder that often presents with similar signs and Folate and cobalamin (vitamin B12) levels, which are blood tests that assess for malabsorption and bacterial overgrowth.

Hopefully I will have some answers soon b/c I am not kidding when I say that Billy is wasting away in front of my eyes. His normal weight is 80lbs. He was 75lbs about a month ago and he was 69lbs tonite. I want to cry everytime I look at him b/c I don't know what to do to make him better. :sad1

We didn't do an x-ray but I had an abdominal ultrasound done back in October and there wasn't a blockage. He has been tested for tick diseases also. I really am at a loss as to what else we should do. I have been dealing with this on and off since the fall of last year. It just seems like a vicious circle where he gets better and then gets worse for no apparent reason. Thanks for your suggestions and for everyone's thoughts and prayers.

This is going to be a step by step process. the fist thing is to do ALL the blood tests. If you need a list of all the tests we did, let me know and I will tell you.

Do a 3 day fecal. 3 fecals, 1 a day consecutively for 3 days. Treat with drontal plus regardless of outcome.

You did x-ray or sonogram right?

Switch to a novel protein, something he has never, ever had before and give nothing else but this. Example- wellness duck and sweet potato. treats shoud be the same thing. Duck treats. Be careful of what else is in it. READ INGREDIENTS.

You could try the prescription diets.

Try a vitamin B shot. It can't hurt and can only help if absortion is an issue.

We did all this, but none of it worked. We opted for the open abdominal exploratory surgery as Beau too was wasting away and we couldn't figure it out. We were leaning toward IBD but were afraid to start pred without diagnosis in the event he had cancer. I don;t know if we would do the surgery again. It was rough on him. But we got an answer and we were able to treat correctly without any worry.

He is now on pred and is absorbing. I know how scary and frustrating this is, I really do. If you need anything or if there is anything I can do, please PM me.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sounds like your off to a good start--bloodwork first--although it does trouble me that your vet didn't know the TLI test needs to be drawn from a fasted dog. Anyway, TLI first. How are his other blood protein levels--TP, Albumin??

Oh, wanted to mention that the blood draw for the TLI must be a "clean stick"--hemolyisis will alter the test results.

Been down that road--feel free to PM me. :)

Guest houndlover
Sounds like your off to a good start--bloodwork first--although it does trouble me that your vet didn't know the TLI test needs to be drawn from a fasted dog. Anyway, TLI first. How are his other blood protein levels--TP, Albumin??

Oh, wanted to mention that the blood draw for the TLI must be a "clean stick"--hemolyisis will alter the test results.

Been down that road--feel free to PM me. :)

Thanks for the info about the blood work. His other levels were fine the last time we checked (within the last 3 months). In my vet's defense, I was her last patient of the nite and Billy was really just an add on to the appt that I already had for a wellness check for Daisy (greyhound) and Lil (cat). She realized right after we drew the blood that it was a 12 hour fast for the test and that he had probably already eaten his supper.

Guest houndlover

Ok...I am even more of a wreck today than I was yesterday. DD just got home about an hour ago and she said that Billy had diarrhea all over the house. He hasn't done this before, usually he can wait until she gets home. I am taking him to the vet tonite to have the blood work done that we were supposed to have done last nite b/c there is no way that I can wait till his scheduled appt on Saturday. I am sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes feeling completely helpless right now. :(

Please send good thoughts....we really need them right now.