Hair Shedding

Guest rsb1

Perhaps a dumb question but Fig has started shedding a good amount of hair in the last few weeks...just stroking him with the hand gets a lot of hair out. His coat still seems fine except on his hind legs...there he's pretty much getting bald. I'm thinking that him sitting on his behind all day could be a cause for the loss of hair back there but whatabout the hairloss elsewhere? It did start a few weeks ago so perhaps a seasonal thing? I've had him for 4-months....

I do give him a fish oil pill every morning...is this too much?

Thanks,

Roman

It's that time of year around here...Jackie has started shedding in earnest, I put the Furminator on her and almost died laughing at how much came off of her. Any doubts I had about if she like it or not were answered, she was leaning in and when I was doing her neck she stretched it out and closed her eyes. I think it felt good to have the loose hair come off! The birds will hopfully pick up the clumps and put it to good use.

Cathy

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

It's that time of year around here...Jackie has started shedding in earnest, I put the Furminator on her and almost died laughing at how much came off of her. Any doubts I had about if she like it or not were answered, she was leaning in and when I was doing her neck she stretched it out and closed her eyes. I think it felt good to have the loose hair come off! The birds will hopfully pick up the clumps and put it to good use.

Cathy

Got it...that makes sense and something I figured on.

Now what about the severely balding hind legs...to me it's actually kinda funny...I call him "Fig the bald a$$ Greyhound"..haha (I'm 27, so it's ok). But in all seriousness...is this something to worry about? I really do think it's just because he sits on his behind all day.... Any ideas? He had a decent amount of hair on there when I got him a few months back.

Thanks,

Roman

I wouldn't worry about either the shedding or the balding thighs. I assume this is a new dog off the track?

First, the shedding: If this is a new dog off the track (say, 6 months or less), it's probably that he is shedding his "track coat," and it will be replaced by his pet coat. Many times, a Greyhound will have a soft, fuzzy, dull coat on the track, which is shed and replaced by a silkier, smoother coat in the pet home. There are many reasons I have heard for this shed, not the least of which is diet.

If he is not new off the track, I would attribute it to seasonal shedding. All dogs go through this, especially those in colder climates. The difference is, though, that instead of warmer days, it has more to do with light: the longer the days get, the more the dog will shed.

Regarding the bald thighs: Many Greyhounds have this. Newer theories have to do with hormonal changes incurred while being heavily trained on the track. The training messes with the hormones, and causes the folicles not to produce hair. Often, this will come back when the dog is retired, and adopts a more sedintary lifestyle. You see this with heavily raced Whippets, too, so I personally do not think this has anything to do with "crate rub" like other people may say. Besides, human women who train for marathons and other physical exertions can experience similar hormonal issues, most notably a disruption in monthly cycles.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest RocketDog

Mine are shedding heavily too, and both have bald butts (but that's nothing new, they're bald-butts in the middle of winter too!)

I just do a thorough rubdown with a nubby houndglove every day after work to pull the loose hair free. I had FLURRIES of hair all over the yard the other afternoon!

Oh, and, I use a shedding blade, designed for horses for shedding Greyhounds. You can find them at big box pet stores, but they would be cheaper if you have a farm supply store near you.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

No bald butts here but Lizzie is in the middle of her "molting" season...she always is a month or so ahead of the others. I also use a shedding blade...just be careful and not press too hard. I used to have this great rubber glove but Hitchie took care of that and I haven't been able to find one like it since.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Totally normal. New dogs shed after a bit. And - don't know where you live or the climate, but here, my Sobe sheds like a MANIAC every spring and fall. And - his butt goes totally hairless. Then grows back. I think a fishoil a day is good. Brush every day during the shed. Heck - brush every day through the whole year - it's good for the skin, and good bonding time.

No worries - totally normal - and a good question. Keep asking questions, that's how we all learn!

my 2 year old red fawn male who has never been on the track(he left the track at 8 days) has the typical thin/balding hair on his thighs! i think it is gentic. he has never experience endless hours of crating nor the stress of hormones or racing. a friend who has a male the same color who raced looked at mine and was shocked to see that they both had the same pattern of balness. if i could figure out how to add a pic i would show you.

also....., as to generic blowing of coat, i help it along with a good bath, brushing w/ a firm bristol brush and instead of a shedding comb i use stripping stones. they are a soft lava stone that are used on terriers and do a wonderful job w/ dead coat. yes, they start blowing coat w/ the increased daylight.

CARE OF THE RETIRED RACING GREYHOUND has a good segment on BALD THIGH SYNDROME

Guest pasrikerwon

My Grey also has bald thighs and butt area, but most recently I have noticed his underside balding (lower stomach area) and lots of shedding and dandruff???

I'm sure someone already mentioned it on the thread but, consider having your greyhound go in for a bath. I find that the bathing loosens up the hair and makes it easier to brush it all out so that it lessons further shedding. Fair warning though -- if you bathe your dog yourself you will end up being covered with hair.....

If someone else gives him a bath, make sure that they sure a "cool air" dryer because the "hot air" dryers can cause overheating problems with greyhounds requiring "emergency treatments".

As a side note, greyhounds stay pretty clean so they don't need many baths.

Guest Greensleeves

Yup. There are two shed cycles during the year (spring and fall), so the dogs can prep the appropriate coat for the weather. That's the first thing.

The second factor would be dietary--the fish oil will be giving him a silkier coat and for some reason, it always seems to encourage the old coat to blow, too. Any time we make a major dietary shift, we get clumps of hair everywhere. :lol

Lastly, there is a *possibility* that the bald thighs might be related to the thyroid--but unless you see other possible symptoms to support that, I wouldn't worry about it.