Need Some Help

We are getting a return next week that has some urine crystal formation problems. She's coming back because her owners are moving to Colorado & Anne gets cold there! Don't start- I've already thought of lots of things to say!! She is one very spoiled doggie but I can't spoil her the way they do as I don't have enough money & our group sue doesn't. I know about cats with urinary problems but not dogs so any ideas would be appreciated. Anne is a small fawn, much like Cathy's Hope, who does NOT like cats & I know she will be unhappy not being the only dog in the house but that can't be helped at this time.

Prescrip food might help but first needs vet documentation of the problem and results of efforts to address it so far.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yeah, depending on the type of crystals (there are two), a simple diet change may be all that is needed and it doesn't necessarily have to be prescription. We had a foster dog with this problem. But you need to find out what kind of crystals first :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest SoulsMom

My Archie (non grey) had issues with bladder stones~meaning really, really BIG crystals. After a surgery to remove them along with a third of his damaged bladder he wenton the Hills U/D to keep them from forming again.

My Gizzy had a bad UTI with crystals several years ago. The vet and I figured out that Gizzy does not drink from the water bowls at home - ever. She was also a very light drinker when at the GPA/GO adoption kennel. So our solution was that her one cup of kibble each meal is mixed with 16 ounces of water. Looks like kibble soup! She drinks all the water, and then eats all the kibble, and has never had another UTI again. The strange thing is that when we are on vacation, like at Sandy Paws last weekend, she will drink water from a bowl no problem.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest arlosmom

I have a female who since I got her last year has periodically had crystals. Hers are the struvite kind and her urine pH is also high when they occur. I have had a lot of trouble getting a food that agrees with my dogs and had settled on California Natural Lamb and Rice. It has a little too much protein so I switched to the chicken which has the same amount but also has an additive (can't remember the name) that seems to help with that. We also are giving vitamin C every day. Either chewable or soft gels. This seems to help. If she has the struvite crystals. try switching to a lower protein food and try the C or cranberry. C is really cheap.

Annie has been on the diet food & does get cranberry added to her water sometimes, I was hoping for something other than the food from the vet, having to buy another special food is going to be hard. Noelle & Carmen are now eating Taste of the wild Venison/Bison due to allergies for Carmen & Noelle's EPI/EIP issues. I wondered if the is yahoo group for people with dogs like this where I could get some more information. I do know Annie's mom does cook rice & veggies for her & gives her yogurt also. Since she uses the same vet we do I know she's been checked out carefully.