Just How Much Sleep Do Greys Need?

Guest missecho

Guest missecho

:blink:

Our sweet shy hound Brooke-Molly just joined the family two days ago. She's been mostly sleeping since then. I got a little worried when we went walking today and she seemed a little tired after about a half mile. Is this usual?

Thanks for your help--all this new!

Guest UESBrindle

We got our first greyhound about a month and a half ago-- he goes for about 1.5 hours worth of walk a day, and maybe 30-45 min of romping around the house, 5 min for eating, and just about the rest of the time our guy is laying down/napping. The breed's nickname is the 45MPH couch potato... thats how they stay so pretty-- LOTS of beauty sleep!

Need or want???????

Seriously. They sleep A LOT. Usually. My four sleep as much or more than my cats per day. You will run across the occasional active greyhound who loves to play and is on the go all the time. How old is she??

Some things to keep in mind:

>Your girl has just undergone one of the biggest changes in her life. No matter how well it's going, it's stressful for her and she's using a lot of energy learning all the new things in your house, in the yard, when you're walking, how to eat, potty training, etc.,. Unless she's had extensive time in a foster home everything is new to her. Even if she was fostered, your house is new.

>Greyhounds are used to being in their kennels most of the day. They're turned out several times for potties and exercise, and training, but they lead mainly sedentary lives.

>As far as her getting tired, most greyhounds only race 550/660 yards at a time, 3 or 4 days apart. The races take 30 seconds or less. So 1/2 a mile is a really long ways for her to jump into right away. Plus her feet/pads are probably not tough enough to handle cement or asphalt for long periods.

Congratulations on your new greyhound! Remember to post pictures of her!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Jolie

When we first got Ozzy I was worried because it seemed like he slept ALL DAY LONG! Now I'm used to it. :)

We go for a walk for 30 minutes to an hour, and other than his eating/pottying times, and usually 30-45 minutes of walking around the apartment, he sleeps.

And the day after we take him to the dog park he sleeps all day and won't even get up for our usual walk!

Guest Houndstown

Above posts sound about right. Obviously, if things are still the same in a month or so (or if they escalate to lethargy, etc.), a trip to the vet may be in order, to check for tick borne diseases, thyroid issues, etc. But I think it is probably just adjustment! Keep us posted!

Guest TBaxes

I agree, and I would add to ask, how long since she was spayed? We adopted a boy straight right after his neuter procedure, and we was not himself for two weeks. There is a definite adjustment period, and no one sleeps more than a greyhound....dang, if only we could get that much sleep..... sheesh...

But do not worry, she sounds fine. Just keep giving her a lot of love, and she'll will come around. Do keep us posted.

I'm not even sure they *sleep*. I mean, yeah- a lot of the time they're lying there with their eyes closed, but if I get up- zoom! They're awake, expecting food. But if Minerva is *sleeping*, I can give her a shove- and the eyes don't even open.

Total down-time (quality carpet time or bed-time) is probably 22-1/2 hours a day.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest missecho

Thanks so much for helping out!

She was spayed exactly one month ago.

She doesn't seem all that interested in food, either. Her foster parents reported that they were having a hard time getting her to eat--here she is eating her food, especially when I add some brown rice to it. But, she is totally uninterested in treats, even peanut butter and corn bread, or other things I would think she'd like to have.

I think I will schedule her first visit with the vet and make sure she is A-okay.

Guest suzye

I don't exactly remember how much mine slept when I first got her, but Jazz acted like she was exhausted every time we picked her up from boarding. The rest of that day and the next day she was glued to her bed. I thought she was recovering from stress. Maybe like greysmom said, she is in a home now and it's a great change, but the change is still stressful, so maybe she needs lots of rest.

Popo is an active greyhound so I can't really compare him.

Guest JillT

Both of my hounds sleep a lot normally. As others have said, though, if they have been at doggy day care or boarding at the local greyhound kennel for even a day or two, they are SUPER tired for about 2 days after they come and literally do nothing but sleep.

Need or want???????

Seriously. They sleep A LOT. Usually. My four sleep as much or more than my cats per day. You will run across the occasional active greyhound who loves to play and is on the go all the time. How old is she??

Some things to keep in mind:

>Your girl has just undergone one of the biggest changes in her life. No matter how well it's going, it's stressful for her and she's using a lot of energy learning all the new things in your house, in the yard, when you're walking, how to eat, potty training, etc.,. Unless she's had extensive time in a foster home everything is new to her. Even if she was fostered, your house is new.

>Greyhounds are used to being in their kennels most of the day. They're turned out several times for potties and exercise, and training, but they lead mainly sedentary lives.

>As far as her getting tired, most greyhounds only race 550/660 yards at a time, 3 or 4 days apart. The races take 30 seconds or less. So 1/2 a mile is a really long ways for her to jump into right away. Plus her feet/pads are probably not tough enough to handle cement or asphalt for long periods.

Congratulations on your new greyhound! Remember to post pictures of her!

tgreysmom post pretty much sums it all up

adding my congrats

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08