Vagina Problems

Daisy went to the vet last week and he thought she might have a UTI. Urinalysis came back normal. He looked at her vagina and said it was pretty red. He put her on Baytril in case it was the start of a UTI. Well, tonight she is roaching so I investigated down there and her vulvar area looks pretty inflammed. Any ideas? I put some A and D ointment on a Qtip and put it on the area. She's licking down there a couple times a day but not excessively. Anyone else experienced this before?

Unfortunately, lots. We have a daily treatment regimen here which consists of:

- clean the area with witch hazel on a cotton swab (real cotton - I buy those big rolls at the drugstore)

- dry off well with a tissue

- apply Unda 270 cream (available at many health food stores)

If it's really bad, instead of the Unda I apply Fusiderm (prescription from your vet) which is a combination of antibiotic and steroid - it really works but I stop as soon as I can because of the skin-thinning actions of the steroid.

There are several threads about this sort of thing in Health and Medical (some may have been pruned) if you do a search for "vulva".

Good luck with your girl.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Same thing here with Misty. Not uncommon.

I try to clean the area everytime Misty pees and then I use Desitin creamy. Keeps the area clean and helps with the irritation. I use the creamy because if you've ever used it, you know how tough it is to get off so Misty would have to lick for quite some time to get it off. And it's not harmful if she does lick it.

Batril is a good idea because if she's licking bacteria, a UTI will be next.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Yep. Echo has what's called an "everted vulva." It's always red and icky looking, but since it's been like that since I've had her and never given her trouble, the vet says just keep an eye on it. He gave me some antibacterial/antifungal wipes to use on it from time to time.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

One of our program's foster dogs just had a surgery to correct a vulva problem. The testosterone they get during racing enlarges the area and can make it prone to UTI's and other infections. Sometimes they have extra skin that needs to be removed so they can urinate properly.

I don't have any personal experience but I'd definitely talk to the vet again and see if there's something more to do. And do a search as suggested above. It's a common problem so I'm sure you'll find better info.

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

do dogs get yeast infections?

Yes, they can.

If your dog is pretty fresh off the track, it could just be from the hormones they give them to keep them from coming into heat. That it what I was told after we got Ruby, and her girlie parts looked very red.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Greytnorth

Talk to you vet about it. Our girl Ruby had extra flesh in the vulva area that would cause her to retain urine after she would go pee. It was causing bladder and yeast infections. The area was extremely sore and red therefore constantly licking the area and causing further irritation. Originally, our vet gave me antibiotic and creams to treat the area. All of this was just a temporary fix for the problem. We decided that surgery was the best for our girl. The was in pain after the surgery and at first I though that I may have made the wrong decision but things got better with time and withing a few weeks she was back to her old self. I'm extremely happy with the results and would do it again if I had another female with the same problem. This is a very common problem with the females as they are given testosterone on the tracks to keep them from going into heat. Unfortunately, the testosterone will cause this problem with some females.

I have see other threads on the subject on this forum if you want further information. Good luck!!!

If you just search for vulvaplasty it should come up. Quite a few people have had their females have the surgery.

Misty would have benefited from it but my vet said that it would be crucial to insure no licking the area after surgery. We tried the collars and a few other options and nothing would keep her from the area so my vet wouldn't do it.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless