Dental Today - Mom's A Wreck

Guest budsmom

Guest budsmom

I know that compared to what many of you are dealing with a dental isn't much, but my little girl is in having hers today and I'm a wreck. I've never left her anywhere before, and she's probably going to lose a tooth or 2. I'd really appreciate any good thoughts for Twister and reassurances that everything will be ok. I trust my vet, but she's my little girl and I won't relax until I can pick her up and take her home.

Thanks guys!

Many good thoughts. She will be just fine.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Breathe! She will be fine. I know how nerve-racking it can be... I've been there. We all understand!

Sending lots of good thoughts for your girl. Update when she's home!

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Just went through it here too. I'm not not even going to say relax, because I didn't until I got the call telling me she was okay.

Hoping the time goes by FAST!!

And of course, good thoughts for your girl

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

After a couple of bad experiences with dogs and anesthesia, I was a nervous wreck when Sam and Jacey both needed dentals. I scheduled both procedures for the same day (so I wouldn't have to go through it twice). When I dropped the dogs at the vet's in the morning, the tech said they'd probably be done about 3. I showed up at the vet's office a little after 3; Sam was barely done (still waking up) and Jacey hadn't even been started.

I just sat there in the waiting room and cried. I apologized to all the staff and other patients waiting, told them not to worry--that I was just a nervous wreck--and I cried like a crazy woman.

Finally stopped crying, but kept sitting there. After a bit, my cellphone rang. It's the vet, telling me the dogs are ready to go home. "I'm in your waiting room right now," I told him. His staff hadn't told him I was there--and I'm glad he didn't have the feeling that I was breathing down his neck the whole time he was working on Jacey.

It turns out that this vet likes to do "iffy" cases--dogs with health issues--first thing, and he saves the "no problem" dogs for later in the day. Thus, my two got bumped to the end of the day's list.

These days, because the poor guy has to drive 40+ miles to get to work, the vet comes in at 5 am on days he does surgeries, so he likes to have dogs stay overnight the night before the surgery. Fortunately, though, he's okay if an owner--like me--doesn't want to do that. I flat out told them: I haven't slept in an empty bed for more than seven years, and if you keep my dogs overnight I won't sleep at all.

This year, Sam doesn't need a dental (hurray for raw chicken backs). Jacey needs one to clean up her front and side teeth, but her back teeth are wonderful (I started feeding them chicken backs in October). I might let Jacey stay overnight at the vet's since I'll still have Sam to hang onto.

If Twister has extractions, they'll probably send her home with pain meds. Expect her to be sleepy and groggy all night. Also expect that her gums may bleed some, so put something under her head when she sleeps (an old towel or something) to protect your carpet or her bedding. And she might appreciate a gel cold pack. (When Sam was hurt, I put a cold pack on his foot and left it up to him whether it stayed there. He carefully kept it in place for about 15 minutes. Twister will let you know if she doesn't like it.) If you don't have a gel cold pack, you can try a bag of frozen peas, but the stuff has to be something that mushes around and conforms to her shape, so no big ice cubes or anything like that.

Limit Twister's food and water, even if she seems to think she wants both, at least for the evening. Often, the anesthesia can leave a dog with a queasy stomach, and food and water won't settle well. Twister can have what my mother called "sippin' water"--just not a huge bowlful.

ETA: Please let us know when she's home.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest budsmom

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My baby girl is home, and once again the power of GT has worked. She didn't have to have any extractions. The one tooth was fine once they got a close look at it, and they x-rayed the other one and it was totally healthy, too. She did have a little oral surgery, though. On the tooth they x-rayed, her gum was really receded, but once they saw it was healthy they put some artificial bone graft stuff on it and stretched the gum back down around it. She has a couple stitches, but the vet is hopeful that the gum will reattach. She's on soft food for a couple days, along with pain meds and antibiotics. She's going to be even more spoiled than before, if that's possible.

Twister says to tell everyone thank you. :thumbs-up:colgate She'd do it herself, but is a little sleepy yet and has trouble typing!!