Not Peeing Enough?

MyCutie

We're new parents and Rocket's been a little off the last couple days so thought I'd post here (everything I can think of to search is 3 letters--"pee" "not" -- which doesn't work).

The last few mornings when he gets up he poops but doesn't pee until much later in the morning. He used to pee gallons at a time. Now we'll go out several times without him doing anything.

Poops are initially firm--with soft followup blobs. Has been eating grass the last couple of days. A few days ago he had a very gurgly stomach but that has been normal lately.

He's been panting and pacing off and on yesterday and today. But still loves being out for a walk and seems fine though he's marking more than peeing. Just seems sluggish.

His appetite is normal but he doesn't seem to be drinking as much water. No changes to his diet, though we switched to Grizzly Salmon oil from Costco salmon oil about two weeks ago (which has made a huge difference in shedding).

We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow night for some shots. Should we try to get in earlier? Are these symptoms of UTI? Or ??

Will the vet need a urine sample and how do you collect one?

Thanks!

Edited by MyCutie

I get a foil pan (dollar store and toss it) and just stick it under the dog as it's going. Pie pans or bread pans work great. You don't need a huge amount either, just be sure whatever you put it in has been cleaned really well, and stick it in the fridge if you're not going right away.

I haven't had personal experience but it seems to me that UTI's have the opposite problem - they go too much, and often have accidents in the house, and seem to be thirstier. I would definitely take in a urine sample - take it right before you go to the vet, and/or keep it cold/refrigerated. The pacing and panting are classic signs of pain.

Good luck! And welcome!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have used a large ziplock bag to gather a urine sample. I fold the sides down and then follow the hound with the bag hidden behind me. After they start to pee, I quickly use the large bag to gather the sample. I can imagine the neighbors enjoying the show! I agree that the panting and pacing could be a sign of discomfort but it has been warmer the last couple days and maybe that is having an effect on Rocket. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I have used a large ziplock bag to gather a urine sample. I fold the sides down and then follow the hound with the bag hidden behind me. After they start to pee, I quickly use the large bag to gather the sample. I can imagine the neighbors enjoying the show! I agree that the panting and pacing could be a sign of discomfort but it has been warmer the last couple days and maybe that is having an effect on Rocket. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help!

Rocket seems better but is still not quite himself. He seems more tired than usual, but has also been going on at least 2 walks a day since the weather got better. Maybe we're just not seeing that pent up energy that he had when he was stuck in the house due to snow and ice.

We have a vet appointment to update his shots this evening, so we'll have him checked out and take along a couple of "samples". Hopefully it's nothing, but will let you know what we find out.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Could he have a stone blocking his urethra that's preventing urine from passing? Sometimes they quit drinking to make less pee to accommodate not being able to pee.

It's good you're taking him to the vet today. Hope it's just from not drinking enough water.

Marcia

I'm hoping for good news about Rocket, but Rocket's problem sounds much like what my Sam went through this summer. I'll give a quick summary for for folks who might encounter something like this with their dogs:

My Sam normally is a huge water drinker. But last summer there was a day when he was drinking less. He'd want to go out to pee, but would pee very little when he got out. Over one night, he hauled me outside nearly every hour.

The next morning, I watched him trying to pee, with very little coming out. Then I thought I saw some "color"--got a paper towel and blotted his penis and found the fluid was pinkish: a little blood in his urine.

I took him to the ER (this was a Sunday morning; Sam never gets sick during vet hours). They diagnosed a UTI, but also wanted to take xrays to make sure there were no stones. (There weren't.)

It took three weeks on antibiotics--with Sam on unlimited quantities of drinking water--to get the UTI cleared up.

So, while a UTI might trigger unexpected peeing in the house--and peeing large quantities--it doesn't always run that way. Dogs putting out a reduced quantity of urine can be suffering a UTI as well. And although UTIs in male dogs are less common than in female ones, they're not actually uncommon.

P.S. Keep some of those small, disposable plastic sandwich-size containers around the house: great for collecting urine samples and sealing them, and you can label the lid with time, date, and dog's name...and anything other message needed to warn people poking around in your refrigerator. ;)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Poor Rocket. Traumatic day. We've had storms and wind so not an ideal day to get him to pee anyway. Then, poor boy, just when he squatted to unload this afternoon, here comes mom with the foil pan. Scared the heck out of him. When we got to the vet he found a rock and we got a very generous fresh sample in a plastic tub. The vet says that he looks good--temp is fine, urine is clear and no indication that he's not hydrated enough. While we were there, he got his nails trimmed, some blood drawn, a shot and another up his snoot. He was such a good boy--didn't even flinch. An evening appointment meant he was up past his bedtime so he's snoozing now. We'll keep an eye on him and hope he's just reacting to the weather. -- As we were going in at the vet, another grey (Zephyr) was coming out making for a wagfest--hopefully it made up for some of the angst. Thanks everyone for the feedback and good wishes. This forum has been such a lifesaver!