Transitional Cells--large Amount Found In Dynamite's Urine

Guest andrealynch

Guest andrealynch

Hi Everyone:

So my 13year old has been having problems with UTIs since I got her about a month ago! Today, there was blood in her urine, so I took her back to the vet--and the vet told me she wanted to send off her urine for further analysis at the lab. She said what is worries her is that there are a TON of transitional cells in her urine--and they are all different shapes and sizes.

From what I understand, this could signal cancer in her bladder--does anyone know about this cancer or has anyone had experience dealing with these types of cells?

I read that there is no cure, and basically, with a dog of this age, you go into hospice mode. :o

Thanks for your help! Andrea

I have no experience with it but googled "transitional cells urine dog" and there's several pages of stuff including this and this.

Here's some more info:

ultrasound findings

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest andrealynch
I hope she is on good antibiotics!

Sending prayers.

You bet she is! :) And lots of peanut butter to boot! Thanks, and keep praying--poor old girl has had a rough go of it the past few months!

I have no experience with it but googled "transitional cells urine dog" and there's several pages of stuff including this and this.

Here's some more info:

ultrasound findings

Awesome! I will go to the site right now and see what they have to say! Thanks for the resource!

No advice or info, just sending prayers for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending prayers for your girl and hugs for you!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Unfortunately I think your vet is trying to rule out transitional cell carcinoma. Usually bad news in dogs (unlike in people where it can be less aggressive). You may need an ultrasound to look for a mass. The worst part about TCC's in dogs is that it usually grows in the trigone (neck) of the bladder making it hard for them to void their bladder. Let's hope that she just has an infection and nothing more. Did your vet run a urine culture?? :(

Edited by tbhounds

Guest andrealynch
Unfortunately I think your vet is trying to rule out transitional cell carcinoma. Usually bad news in dogs (unlike in people where it can be less aggressive). You may need an ultrasound to look for a mass. The worst part about TCC's in dogs is that it usually grows in the trigone (neck) of the bladder making it hard for them to void their bladder. Let's hope that she just has an infection and nothing more. Did your vet run a urine culture?? :(

She sure did--and she said that were a TON of transitional cells in her urine, along with pus, and other infection. I had her at the vet's a few weeks prior to this, and she had an infection then too. I notice that it is very hard for her to potty--but she goes all the time. I swear, if I put her out every 10 minutes, the she would go to the bathroom each chance she got!

I read online that trouble urinating is one of the symptoms. She just kinda dribbles when she goes, and her little skinny legs shake! :(

We will have the lab tests back on Saturday--the vet said she would call me then, so we shall see. For now, she is sleeping nicely in my couch and we are treating her with antibiotics for the current infections. :unsure

Sending prayers for your girl and hugs for you!

Thank you, Thank you! We need it!! :rolleyes:

Andrea, how is your girl doing today? Have you seen any changes?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest andrealynch
Andrea, how is your girl doing today? Have you seen any changes?

Hi--thanks for asking! No, no changes really--except that when she goes outside, it is for longer and longer periods of time. We should have word back from the vet on Saturday--I am anxiously awaiting word! I noticed she doesn't seem as happy as when we first got her, and sometimes it is hard to coax her off the couch--she just lays there! :( I will be sure to keep everyone updated!

Thanks again! :unsure

Guest andrealynch

Hi Everyone:

Just an update: the vet called today and said as she suspects, the tests seem to confirm that Dynomite has transitional cell carcinoma. So, I have a few options: put her on a human med to make her a little more comfortable--it won't take away any symptoms, so she will still need to be in diapers most of the time, or the other option is euthanasia--my vet told me outright that she doesn't believe in keeping dogs going for the sake of keeping them going.

As I mentioned, she is 13 and has been getting UTIs one after the other, and it looks like it is very hard for her to potty--she goes all the time.

So here is the rest of the situation: I live alone and work full time. I also am a teacher, and I have tried to get her insured like my other dog, but most of the insurance companies won't insure her, or they charge a REALLY high price that I can't afford. I already have my neighbor come over on the days when I have to work long, but I really can't ask her to start coming over more.

So, I am thinking that I might talk to the head of the rescue organization I foster with, and see if maybe there would be a family willing to foster her who is home during the days--that way, she wouldn't have to live the rest of her life in diapers and could go out when she needed.

I really don't know what to do, and I feel like a bad pup mom. :(

Poor girl, I don't have any advice or help but wanted to send lots of good thoughts to her!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest SoulsMom

Where are you located? (I have a friend in Chicago who was just laid off)

I'm so sorry to hear this dx. Was an ultrasound also done? Unfortunately when my JRT mix was mis-diagnosed with bladder cancer the vets also gave me the same grim statistics. I was in my car and could not believe I was hearing that Archie would be gone in 3-6 months :cry1

You really need to find out how much pain relief she will get from the meds before you make any type of decision for her. If you've ever had a UTI - you know how painful it is - the burning and peeing razor blades feeling is miserable, and you feel like you have to go all the time.

I personally would not let a dog continue to suffer through that type of pain for any length of time when you know that she'll only get worse. If the meds CAN make her comfortable, then put a diaper on her and enjoy the time you have left with her and spoil her rotten.

(Please don't rehome her or give her back to your group to put in a foster home .... she needs you more than ever now)

You owe it to her to be with her loving her during her final months, and be there holding her and loving her when she crosses over to the bridge. Don't leave her in the hands of strangers during this time.

I know this is difficult, I've lost a hound to cancer too.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

the med might be Pyridium which is a numbing type of agent to deaden the pain when one passes urine. I do not believe it has any side effects EXCEPT -- it will and does turn urine BRIGHT orange. Something to keep in mind if she's having trouble holding her urine or having leakage. I can't imagine what that will do to carpet/furniture. If you can find a day care person to stay with her during the day that would be perfect! (I'm so fortunate that my mom keeps my ill dog during the day. I just drop her off on the way and pick her back up on the way home. )

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest andrealynch
Did you have an ultrasound to confirm the diagnoses??? If she really has TCC you should have her on the NSAID Piroxicam. Also, depending how involved the tumor is surgery might be an option.

Does the Piroxicam take away the symptoms like burning when urinating? Will she still be unable to hold it for long periods of time? I am really concerned about how fair it is to have to keep her in diapers?

Thanks for your help!

Sending prayers. :hope I would definitely explore Pyridium and/or Piroxicam for pain relief. As far as the diapers are concerned, you are the best judge of that. If you can get her some pain relief and she seems comfortable with the diapers, love her with all your might, make lots of memories, spoil her rotten. Cory is right - she needs you more now than ever. You will know when it's time to help her cross the Bridge. :grouphug

Guest Redpack
You really need to find out how much pain relief she will get from the meds before you make any type of decision for her. If you've ever had a UTI - you know how painful it is - the burning and peeing razor blades feeling is miserable, and you feel like you have to go all the time.

I personally would not let a dog continue to suffer through that type of pain for any length of time when you know that she'll only get worse. If the meds CAN make her comfortable, then put a diaper on her and enjoy the time you have left with her and spoil her rotten.

(Please don't rehome her or give her back to your group to put in a foster home .... she needs you more than ever now)

You owe it to her to be with her loving her during her final months, and be there holding her and loving her when she crosses over to the bridge. Don't leave her in the hands of strangers during this time.

I know this is difficult, I've lost a hound to cancer too.

What she said so well. If she can be comfortable, enjoy your time together. To be with someone new would just confuse her. If she can't be relieved of her pain, then it should be you whom she trusts who holds her in her last moments. :grouphug

Guest andrealynch
Did you have an ultrasound to confirm the diagnoses??? If she really has TCC you should have her on the NSAID Piroxicam. Also, depending how involved the tumor is surgery might be an option.

Does the Piroxicam take away the symptoms like burning when urinating? Will she still be unable to hold it for long periods of time? I am really concerned about how fair it is to have to keep her in diapers?

Thanks for your help!

Hi There:

Actually--it has taken away the symptoms! I started her on the new med on Tuesday, and she has been able to hold it each and every day since then! Today, I told her I was going to let her go w/out her diaper and see what happens, and she made it all day! I was also very concerned about keeping her in diapers--I don't think it is fair either! I talked to the director from my resuce organization, and about possibly re-homing her to a place where there are people home during the day, so she didn't have to wear diapers, but they don't think its that big of a deal. I do, but luckily, she has been making it through the day.

My neighbor is a vet tech, and she said what I am doing with this med is basically "buying time," and that my time with her is pretty limited.

What does everyone think--it is fair to keep her in diapers? I don't think so, but would love to hear everyone else's suggestions/thoughts!

Thanks everyone!

You have already gotten a lot of good advice, I'm sure your head is spinning wildly while your heart is breaking so I will just send you lots of hugs, prayers and good thoughts.

Thanks so much! It is great to see her acting like a "normal" pup after putting her on the new meds! Thanks for the thoughts and hugs! She's such a lovely little lady!

Guest VanillaBean

Thanks for your help!

Hi There:

Actually--it has taken away the symptoms! I started her on the new med on Tuesday, and she has been able to hold it each and every day since then! Today, I told her I was going to let her go w/out her diaper and see what happens, and she made it all day! I was also very concerned about keeping her in diapers--I don't think it is fair either! I talked to the director from my resuce organization, and about possibly re-homing her to a place where there are people home during the day, so she didn't have to wear diapers, but they don't think its that big of a deal. I do, but luckily, she has been making it through the day.

My neighbor is a vet tech, and she said what I am doing with this med is basically "buying time," and that my time with her is pretty limited.

What does everyone think--it is fair to keep her in diapers? I don't think so, but would love to hear everyone else's suggestions/thoughts!

Thanks everyone!

You have already gotten a lot of good advice, I'm sure your head is spinning wildly while your heart is breaking so I will just send you lots of hugs, prayers and good thoughts.

Thanks so much! It is great to see her acting like a "normal" pup after putting her on the new meds! Thanks for the thoughts and hugs! She's such a lovely little lady!

Andrea,

I had a male dog that had to be in diapers for the last 5 months of his life. He didn't care and neither did I. All I cared about was spending as much time with him as possible until it was his time. She doesn't give a damn about her diapers. She just cares to be loved and taken care of by her Mommy until it is her time. :grouphug

eta spelling

Edited by VanillaBean