Losing Eyesight

Guest bry736

I have an 11 1/2yr. old female greyhound that is starting to lose her eyesight due to cataracts. I notice that she sometimes stumbles and has started wanting to stay with me even more than before. What can I do to make her older years more comfortable. We are building a larger step for her to get up & down off of our bed. Is there a product to help failing eyesight in dogs. She is just a wonderful dog, wonderful disposition, great manners and well loved. Anyone having the same problem out there. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanking you in advance.

I would gate off any stairs so that she can't do them when you aren't home. I would put out nightlights in case she still has some eyesight as far as distinguishing dark and light objects. I would make sure there are non-skid rugs on any slippery floor surfaces so that she doesn't fall and I would start using commands when walking her like 'step up' and 'step down' for curbs and stuff so that she gets used to listening to you give commands and understands that's you're helping her. Although, in general, I think dogs do pretty darn well without much eyesight. Do you just have the one dog? Because if there is more than one, that is helpful...basically a seeing eye dog for your dog :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

She doesn't wander at all at night as she has her own room, so she is safe then. We do have two other dogs so that should help her out. We have hard wood flooring throughout our house, and she is slipping once in awhile. She has been taking more time to walk, etc. Commands are a wonderful idea. We will start using them even in the house. Thanks.

OK - we need to contact our Canadian friends on here.

Here is a picture of pannus. It presents in so many different ways! Pannus is treatable, but you need to have a proper diagnosis.

Pannus.jpg

Some links to research:

http://www.wellvet.com/pannus.html

http://eyedvm.com/cornea_with_chronic_superficial_.htm

http://www.veterinaryvision.com/public_forum/pannus.htm

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/pannusindogs.html

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Her eyes don't look like that at all. They are just VERY slightly cloudy. Her pupils are more dialated than normal. (maybe due to straining???) Other than this, she is a very happy senior!

Guest jerrybird

The University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon operates a Small Animal Clinic and I would bet that they have an opthamologist on staff. Any chance your vet could refer you?

My dog, Sheila (Shiba Inu/Chow mix) suddenly lost her sight due to SARDs. I learned some good tips from the Yahoo group, Owners of Blind Dogs. The top two things that helped, I got a cat bell and put it on my other dog's collar so Sheila could hear him, when at home I wore a bracelet with bells on it and would jingle it when I was moving around the house & I bought essential oils to put on the door way of each room including the door to go outside. The oils were a HUGE help to her as she was trying to navigate her way around the house. She moves a lot slower and uses her nose and all of her fur (she's a VERY fluffy girl) as antenna to navigate. She leaves a lot of slurpy nose marks around the house, but it's fine by me.

I also use verbal commands, "step up" for going up a step, "step down", "stop" is a big one, "back back" if she gets stuck and needs to maneuver her way out of a place. Things like that. Also, when giving her a treat I hold it in the flat palm of my hand like I was taught to feed horses, she bites fingers really hard when trying to eat from a hand!

I bought her a Babble Ball, she liked it, but since it's made of hard plastic it isn't her favorite toy. Her favorite things are tennis balls or anything that squeaks and her treat dispensing Kong.

Good luck, I hope you can get this figured out and you both adjust ok.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I was watching an episode of "It's Me or the Dog" that deal, in part, with a blind Mastiff. Victoria Stilwell made a good suggestion -- to put a textured mat or runner down at the spot where the dog approached a single step down into a different area of the house (like a sunken living room). This was a signal to the dog that there was a step ahead. That seemed like a good idea.

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Thank you so much for all of your replys. I have always been steered in the right direction on this forum. I can follow up with my vet for a few suggestions.

Thanks again so much!

Mava