13 Year Old Trouble Peeing

Guest andrealynch

Guest andrealynch

So I agreed to foster and then decided to go ahead and adopt this 13 year old grey, whose family abandoned her after 10 years of living with them. I knew that at her age, no one was likely to adopt her--and she is a great dog, expect for one thing--she has been peeing quite often in my house. I was told by the original owner that she was in fine medical condition, and that they just "didn't have time for her."

So, naturally, I took her to the vet, and they said that she did have a UTI. She has been on antibiotics all week long. I thought it was helping, but tonight she has peed twice in the last hour on my floor! And I put her out often when I am at home. :eek

I am putting her in diapers each day when I go to work--but as you can imagine, dog diapers are very expensive.

I am guessing I will have to take her to the vet in a few days if this doesn't seem to help.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Anyone have ideas for how to economically deal with this? To top it off, my male likes to pee on top of her puddles--so now I have him back in a male wrap too!

Thanks for your suggestions! What should I do if it turns out that she has kidney problems? :(

Did they culture the urine? I wonder if the antibiotic they gave her isn't the right one for whatever bug she's got in there. I would take her in on Monday (or Sunday if you won't have to pay extra.) In the meantime, you might try giving her some cranberry juice if she'll take it--unsweetened is best.

If you don't have it, pick up some Nature's Miracle if you can--it's amazing stuff for cleaning up dog urine to prevent the remarking.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest houndlover

I agree that she should go back to the vet and see if maybe the antibiotics aren't the right ones to treat her infection. I would think that after this long on antibiotics she should be feeling better and having less peeing problems. Did they check for crystals too? I know that sometimes that can be a problem.

As far as if she has kidney issues or not....try not to get ahead of yourself. I know that it is hard not to worry but you could really drive yourself crazy if you worried about all of the "what ifs". I have an 11.5 yr old male grey that was diagnosed with early stage renal disease over 3 years ago and he is still doing great. He has been on a special rx kidney food for the past few years and it has really slowed down the progression of the disease.

Can you put piddle pads down instead of the diaper? It might be less expensive. Care a lot pets makes a machine washable piddle pad. I think that it can be washed up to 300 times.

http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail/?ItemID=2015E

I hope your girl is feeling better soon. Thanks for adopting a senior....they really are wonderful!

Aww... ! Bless her dear heart. She may be the type of hound who gets UTIs when stressed. I know infections are infections, but for some it does seem to follow.

Another thing to consider is that 'I don't have time for her' may be code for 'I don't have time for a dog who pees in the house all the time'. She could have more than one thing going on. One is a UTI, and another may be hormone influenced incontinence - which used to be called spay incontinence. If it's that it's reasonably easy to get under control with the right meds, and as I understand it, they're not that expensive.

I would get her back to the vet and first check that she's on the right antibiotic, then ask about incontinence. But I'd also do a full geriatric blood panel to check that nothing else is going on.

Does she drink a lot? Or is she one of these hounds who don't seem to drink much at all? Not drinking enough may predispose her to UTIs, and if this is all it is, you might want to make her dinner rather wet - our vet advised us to put one of our dogs on wet (tinned) food because of this problem.

Good luck with her! Are the people you're fostering for paying the medical expenses? I hope so!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest andrealynch
Aww... ! Bless her dear heart. She may be the type of hound who gets UTIs when stressed. I know infections are infections, but for some it does seem to follow.

Another thing to consider is that 'I don't have time for her' may be code for 'I don't have time for a dog who pees in the house all the time'. She could have more than one thing going on. One is a UTI, and another may be hormone influenced incontinence - which used to be called spay incontinence. If it's that it's reasonably easy to get under control with the right meds, and as I understand it, they're not that expensive.

I would get her back to the vet and first check that she's on the right antibiotic, then ask about incontinence. But I'd also do a full geriatric blood panel to check that nothing else is going on.

Does she drink a lot? Or is she one of these hounds who don't seem to drink much at all? Not drinking enough may predispose her to UTIs, and if this is all it is, you might want to make her dinner rather wet - our vet advised us to put one of our dogs on wet (tinned) food because of this problem.

Good luck with her! Are the people you're fostering for paying the medical expenses? I hope so!

Thanks for the advice! I hope you are right! Well...regarding the expenses...she and my hound got along so well, that I decided to keep her and adopt her! This was before I figured all of this out -- and I knew it wasn't likely that anyone would adopt her, so as a help to the organization, I decided to adopt her to alleviate any bills she might incur. It wouldn't be so hard if I was a millionaire ;)

i just wanted to day "bless your heart!!!" for taking in a senior hound!

Thank you! I needed that!!! I know in the long run she needed someone--and seeing her dance around my living room floor when it is time to go out for a walk makes it all worth-while! Thank you again! :rolleyes:

Did they culture the urine? I wonder if the antibiotic they gave her isn't the right one for whatever bug she's got in there. I would take her in on Monday (or Sunday if you won't have to pay extra.) In the meantime, you might try giving her some cranberry juice if she'll take it--unsweetened is best.

If you don't have it, pick up some Nature's Miracle if you can--it's amazing stuff for cleaning up dog urine to prevent the remarking.

I did give them a sample of her urine--the vet said no crystals, but that there was a lot of white blood cells & infection/bacteria. You know, I will pick up some cranberry juice today and see if she'll take it--that is a great idea--thank you! We'll go to the store right after my foster gets picked up--she's going to her new home today! Yea!!! :)

Did she actually squat and pee or did the urine just leak out? If it leaks out ask your vet about proin (pronounced pro-in).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My thought is that maybe she is having an incontinence problem.....particularly at her age. That could be why the former owner "did have time for her". Easily treated ......Give that senior girl a hug from me! And you too for taking her in! :grouphug

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart