Mouth/lower Jaw Issues

Guest kalliedog

Guest kalliedog

Since yesturday we have noticed that our 13 yr young greyhound has been holding her lower jaw open about a inch. You can close her mouth and as soon as you take your hand off the lower jaw, it opens. She is breathing threw her nose as well as her mouth. Tonight I was watching her eat and it was almost like she was using her tongue to get the food in her mouth(not using her lower jaw at all) but she was not getting much in her mouth. Her tongue was going to town and what food she did get in, she chewed up using her lower jaw. I am kind of worried that she may have had a minnie stroke or something. She is in perfect health except for this issue. Another question, can they still remove teeth at this age because he breath is really bad and I am worried about having her put out to do this if the vet thinks this may be the issue. :(

Guest BoogieDown

Oh, man. I don't have much advice, except see the vet. I always hate to say this, because I don't want to cause alarm, but I had a non-grey (golden retriever) who had jaw cancer. No swelling anywhere? No signs of an abcessed tooth or blocked ducts?

Guest kalliedog
Oh, man. I don't have much advice, except see the vet. I always hate to say this, because I don't want to cause alarm, but I had a non-grey (golden retriever) who had jaw cancer. No swelling anywhere? No signs of an abcessed tooth or blocked ducts?

she has had about 4-5 it feels like round balls on her throat/back of jaw since last spring, they have not grown at all but they are there and feels like perfect circles. Like I said, she is 13 and seemed fine until yesturday. I am calling the vet in the morning but wondering if anyone could help me out. Thanks!

even if you are too afraid to put her under for tooth extractions, she still needs to see a vet about antibiotics...maybe she just has an abcess or something...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Has the vet seen the lumps in her throat? I'd want them checked out, I think.

As to the teeth, yes they need attention, even at thirteen, and if she's in good health otherwise the sooner you get her mouth sorted the better. If she has bad teeth, they could be the cause of her odd behaviour, and also, she could get bacteria in her bloodstream from her mouth and this can cause organ damage.

Good luck!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Any update available? Hope it's just a bad tooth.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greyvettech

I would say vet asap- Sorry to say, but I would worry about cancer.hopefully though, it's just infection....I wonder if her submandibular lymph nodes are enlarged.?.they are located behind the jaw...Usually, in a grey if they are enlarged, you will see them and feel them easily....I hoep the vet has good news... :hope

Guest kalliedog

Vet appt is Fri. They are thinking that her glands are inflamed and she is going to get a dental also. These things in her neck/throat feel weird. Almost like you can flip them around. I am hoping it is nothing serious. :(