Freezing Feet!

Guest 4baddogs

Guest 4baddogs

So tomorrow's high temp here is going to be a whopping 5 degrees with a wind chill of minus 20. Zoe and Kirby have been walking like they're crippled when they come in from outside for the past 2 days and it's been a "balmy" 12 degrees. They won't budge when we try boots, we've tried paw wax and it doesn't help. Any suggestions? It's not as if they go outside for longer than the time it takes to pee and poop! And we've even shoveled the snow in an area of about 50x50 so the grass is exposed.

Thanks for any advice or ideas. :)

Paula

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We introduced our greys first to baby crew style socks (6-18month old size) and they tolerated them very well. Maybe even just a sock can add enough protection for a quick potty break. Good Luck!

Guest 4baddogs

I'll give socks a try. My hubby suggested those but I thought maybe they'd freeze to their feet?

This morning was a disaster - Kirby wandered waaaay too far off into the yard, picked up one foot on each side and proceeded to fall into a foot of snow. I ran out to help him, dressed only in a t-shirt and slippers. My slippers flew off so I was bare-foot. There I was, carrying a 60-pound, crying dog in minus 20 degree weather. My feet were blood red when I got inside, but Kirby was safe and that's all that mattered!

OK, off to buy baby socks. GT comes to the rescue once again!!!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Not to sound heartless, you do realize that your dog WILL come back inside from the cold? Survival instinct will not allow the dog to freeze to death. My boy does the one paw up in the air, with the GSOD every now and then when it gets below zero, I just tell him to get his butt in the house. He will comply. He tries to whimper and look at me, but I will have none of it. He is more than capable of walking up and down stairs. Now if he injured himself, that is a different story, but if its simply his little paws are cold, naw, he can survive 2 minutes outside. Heck, I took the garbage out the other night in shorts and bare feet when it was -12.

Guest ctgreylover

I feel bad for any creature that doesnt have indoor plumbing! Tony is starting to fight potty breaks. Its 12f here now in Hartford. When he does the GSOD and hobbles around, I clear the snow from the pads and send him back until he potties. Pitiful yes, but its less than 2 minutes so I force him to bear it. I feel really bad that we cant take our walks. Too many icey sidewalks to traverse. I think I will try the baby sock route too for back yard breaks. Great idea!

Guest 4baddogs

Well, we tried the socks and while it was HILARIOUS to watch, they slipped right off. We're going to smaller ones tomorrow. I may also try rubbing Vaseline on their paws just to help keep the snow from sticking, although I feel it's the cold that's bothering them more so than the snow and ice sticking.

And yes, I do realize my dogs will come back inside. I will not force my dogs into harmful elements and risk injuring them or causing frostbite, and certainly wouldn't pride myself in doing so. Zoe is 14.5 years old and Kirby is 9; they're not young, virile pups able to withstand the elements.

Thanks again for the suggestions of socks- we're going to try again tomorrow.

I hear you! My Swissy came up holding her one paw high and then got on the deck and literally fell over and laid on her back with the paw in the air. I ran out in bare feet with a towel and got the huge piece of rock hard snow out from between her toes and she jumped right up. She normally loves the snow and even she is not enjoying it anymore.

Guest RSD_Ranger

We've had pretty good luck with Musher's Secret (for snowballing in between the pads) and vet wrap! I haven't tried the vet wrap on the paws completely, but every time I put it on I put it a little lower. We had to start because Ranger is a new amp and that back leg was getting chewed up by snow/ice scraping on his little leg.

I can't take credit for the vet wrap idea, someone suggested it to us (thank doG!)

Have you heard about Pawz? They slip onto the pads and usually fit tightly enough to stay on.

ETA: The GEM store carries them.

I have those as well. They are great, they stay on and are completely waterproof.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I'll give socks a try. My hubby suggested those but I thought maybe they'd freeze to their feet?

I think it might be a problem if the socks get really wet and they are on for a long time in freezing temps.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

I've never heard of Pawz. That would make our life so much easier! Our regular boots are way too much work to get on with 4 hounds. And this would be great when the vet wants a bandaged foot kept dry, too. I found 2 stores nearby that supposedly carry them and will check it out today. Thanks!

Guest 4baddogs

PAWZ look really great! There's a place less than 50 miles from me, according to the website. I'll call them today to be sure they have them. ANYTHING to keep my furbabies safe and healthy!

We already tried smaller socks and they also fell off. It took too long to put rubberbands on over the socks - Kirby was dancing all over the kitchen and ready to pee on me!

What I try to do is to put the boots on the dogs when they _don't_ have to go out, and just let them walk around the house with the boots on. When they do have to go out with them on, I take them down to the basement to let them out, so they don't have to climb stairs outside.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Have you shoveled paths for them, Paula? That's what we always do. My DH says they probably look like "crop circles" from above! But the dogs really seem to appreciate it. We make paths, and large circular areas for them to use.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest K9_Lady
Not to sound heartless, you do realize that your dog WILL come back inside from the cold? Survival instinct will not allow the dog to freeze to death. My boy does the one paw up in the air, with the GSOD every now and then when it gets below zero, I just tell him to get his butt in the house. He will comply. He tries to whimper and look at me, but I will have none of it. He is more than capable of walking up and down stairs. Now if he injured himself, that is a different story, but if its simply his little paws are cold, naw, he can survive 2 minutes outside. Heck, I took the garbage out the other night in shorts and bare feet when it was -12.

:paw "When your dog wants to lift all four legs all at the same time, he's not trying to entertain you with the latest dance step. Very frigid temperatures make walking on snow or ice painful for some dogs, and street salt burns." Quote Dr. Fox DVM past head of the Chicago Veterinarian Association

I disagree with you Chad :) but thats JMO! Even when we worked our Police K9's we all used common sense and precautions in the freezing temps.

Chad, tell Bart he is welcome to leave home and move in with me and Amy!

I think it might be a problem if the socks get really wet and they are on for a long time in freezing temps.

I agree that the socks will get wet and make it worse in these cold temps. You are better off going out with the dog and hurrying him/her back indoors if you don't use boots, etc.

Guest monasmom

My dogs will all walk in booties, but mostly because they don't get a choice (we don't have a fenced-in yard). They all stand perfectly still while we put them on, too. But the booties are a PAIN! All that velcro... and then half the time one loses a boot before we're down the driveway... They only have to wear them if it's below 20 degrees F air temp (DH and I run to look at the thermometer every morning and do the happy dance if it's 21 :banana )

I tried to make boots that were connected by elastic straps criss-crossed over the dog's body, but the prototype was not a rip roaring success (feel free to run with this idea--if you can make a warm, easy, fast boot, I'd pay a lot of $$$)

So I am wondering about PAWZ. They look good for salt, but they don't look very warm. Thoughts?

My dogs will all walk in booties, but mostly because they don't get a choice (we don't have a fenced-in yard). They all stand perfectly still while we put them on, too. But the booties are a PAIN! All that velcro... and then half the time one loses a boot before we're down the driveway... They only have to wear them if it's below 20 degrees F air temp (DH and I run to look at the thermometer every morning and do the happy dance if it's 21 :banana )

I tried to make boots that were connected by elastic straps criss-crossed over the dog's body, but the prototype was not a rip roaring success (feel free to run with this idea--if you can make a warm, easy, fast boot, I'd pay a lot of $$$)

So I am wondering about PAWZ. They look good for salt, but they don't look very warm. Thoughts?

The pawz arn't very warm but since they keep the paws perfectly dry it seems to be enough, at least for Hobbes anyways. When he will be out for a long time I put the baby socks underneath but again it takes time to do all that.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

A question for those of you who use the Pawz. I went to the OEM website and they recommend size Medium for greyhounds. Then I checked the GEM store and they carry both medium and large but seem to indicate that large is the size for greyhounds. I'm thinking about these for my small boy (57 to 60 pounds and I don't think his paws change size :-) So what size works best for your hounds? I can see lots of possible uses for these. Thanks!