Arnica Gel - Question About Uses

The snow is crusty here and the dogs have a few abrasions. I've not used Arnica gel before, but have heard good things about it so I picked some up today, thinking it might be soothing. But the packaging says not to use it on open wounds, and not to consume it internally.

Granted an abrasion isn't an open wound, but is it OK to use the gel an an abrasion?

How much do I need to worry about licking? Should I bitter apple around the area just in case?

Thank you for your advice!

Hmmmm I've never used it for abrasions, only on bruises. I have traumeel drops which contains arnica plus a lot of other good stuff. I use that for bruised scrapes etc.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I always have it on hand and have used it on what you describe. Not a problem at all. As for the licking, give it a few minutes to dry and there should not be a problem.

My dogs have licked the area when it's dry and no one had any problems.

It's great stuff and keep in mind that it's also really good for bruising.

Side note: Ekko sends her best to Rickie

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thanks both of you.

Janet, I've used Trameel ointment on me, and the pills on Rickie after his surgery but never the drops - do you apply them to the affected area, or are they taken internally like the pills?

Claudia, Ekko is sorely needed here - it is the coldest we've been in over 10 years!! Rickie is curled up on a dog bed beside me, under two fleece blankets. His paws are warm but his ears are still cold.

Thanks both of you.

Janet, I've used Trameel ointment on me, and the pills on Rickie after his surgery but never the drops - do you apply them to the affected area, or are they taken internally like the pills?

Claudia, Ekko is sorely needed here - it is the coldest we've been in over 10 years!! Rickie is curled up on a dog bed beside me, under two fleece blankets. His paws are warm but his ears are still cold.

You tell Ekko's little man she's on her way!! She probably would rather be there. We're in the 80's

Get that boy an electric blanket for his bed!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

After Bonnie's bad attack, our holistic vet recommended arnica pills and traumeel gel for the bruises and Calendula gel on the small open wounds and cuts. I found both at Whole Foods and keep them on hand now. Both gels seemed to improve healing time. Hope things get better quickly! :goodluck

Guest RooCroo
The snow is crusty here and the dogs have a few abrasions. I've not used Arnica gel before, but have heard good things about it so I picked some up today, thinking it might be soothing. But the packaging says not to use it on open wounds, and not to consume it internally.

Granted an abrasion isn't an open wound, but is it OK to use the gel an an abrasion?

How much do I need to worry about licking? Should I bitter apple around the area just in case?

Thank you for your advice!

I don't use arnica gel on broken skin at all. For abrasions, I use calendula gel (made by the same company as the arnica gel). It also seems to help the hair grow back faster on abraded skin. :)

We use Traumel or Arnica for brusing but not open wounds. For open wounds we use a cream by Nelsons called "Cuts and Scrapes Cream" it is mostly Calendula. I works really well.

yncutsscrapeslg.jpg

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Where can you buy arnica and calendula? I couldn't find arnica gel at CVS.

I get the Arnica gel and the Traumeel at a local health food store.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Thanks both of you.

I put the drops in a syringe, add a bit of water and squirt it down their throats. You can use the cream on the dogs too, just rub it in really well.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.