Spleen Removal

HJsM

If a dog has had its spleen removed for one reason or another, is this kind of the same thing as with humans.....fairly harmless but might need to be more careful not to expose themselves to things that can give them infections?

Or is it more serious for a dog? Or less serious? Or completely "not to worry"?

Any experience with this, please weigh in. Thanks :)

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest tricolorhounds

My LabMix Cecily had her spleen removed back in July of 2007... she was 13 years at the time. Doctors never gave me any things to watch out for, not to feed etc. She's doing pretty well for 14 1/2 now, she eats like a horse.

With dogs the immediate problem is actually heart related. They have the potential to have an irregular heartbeat for the first--I believe-72 hrs. After the post surgery aftercare you need to be careful as they won't be as able to fight off infections.

If a splenectomy is necessary (tumors) than it absolutely overrides the fore mentioned risks--IMO

Dancer lost her spleen due to a torsion. She suffered no ill effects from it.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Ok, thanks everyone. I feel better knowing that your dogs all did well without the spleen. Any other anecdotes, please feel free to share.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

They kept Chico overnight when he had his surgery. When we got home the next day, I brought him in the house and while I was hanging up my coat he climbed up on the couch to go to sleep. Scared me to death! He was just fine, stitches and all. :-)

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg