How Cold Is Too Cold . . .

Guest Turkish

Guest Turkish

It's getting pretty cold in south-central Pennsylvania. Granted, not as cold as the listmates further north . . .

How cold is too cold to walk the dog? Of course, we have a pretty well-insulated winter coat and "snood" for his neck. I'm concerned about paws, legs, ears, etc.

Maybe we should just move to Florida.

Thanks!

Chilly in Chambersburg

Guest Bethf03

Were down in TN (not as cold as you are up there), We were down to 17 degrees this am, I took Unique out for her walk, and I have put a sweater on her since about November when it started getting cold. I even took her up to Illinois with me at Christmas and they had snow and ice when we got there, she wanted her walks so I bundled her up and out we went, we didnt stay out to long. I think as long as you bundle them up there ok, if you think there feet are getting cold put some booties on them :lol

I think the dog will let you know! Beth loves her walkies, even subzero (though at that point I put boots on). She played with another dog for a bit at the park the other day when it was -4 (with her coat on of course). But right now, when it's like -30 with the windchill, she was ready to go in after about a block and a half (she needed that long to pee and poop). I'm learning to tell when she's pulling me towards home. But I certainly don't think it's "too cold to walk the dog" unless it's in the danger zone (like here!).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Liz_in_PA

So...my dog is VERY furry for a greyhound--Dashiell has no bald patches and I cannot see his skin through the fur on his back and butt.

Am I terrible for not putting a coat on him in order to speed up our walks? I don't want to be out for more than 15 minutes right now.

Living 70 miles away from OP...

:snow Hi there from Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania......I took my greys for two quick walks today and sprints out to the backyard just as a reminder of how cold it is and they were fine. Zoe doesn't like to get her feet too cold.

Like PrairieProf said..."they'll let you know how long".

My guys start holding up their feet after only a few minutes in this weather. They are out and back in in about 4-5 minutes. We're "fair weather" walkers!

What she said! When the temps are below freezing we don't walk. A few zoomies in the yard will suffice around here. If I didn't have a fenced yard a few zoomies in the LR would have to suffice.

Guest Greensleeves

My husband asks me this every day! :lol

It's about 9 degrees here now, which is too cold to walk *me,* so I figure the dogs don't want to be out in it, either.

Well, except Ladygirl, who's been outside barking at the neighbor's dogs for the last 10 minutes. :rolleyes

Guest ArtysPeople

Hello from balmy Southern/Central Maine (that's a joke). My rules of thumb for cold-weather walks are:

Under 45 F: light jacket;

Under 35: Winter coat w/ snood rolled back;

Under 15: boots go on;

Under 10: snood gets rolled down over the ears;

Under 5-ish: we walk only until he "does his business" then it's back inside.

I developed these guidelines based on how Arty behaved, and now I check the thermometer outside on our porch before we get suited up for a walk. I noticed, for example, that he wimpers and lifts his paws if we don't put the boots on at 15, and that under 5, he's dragging me back to the house after he's done what needs to be done.

Guest ArtysPeople
Am I terrible for not putting a coat on him in order to speed up our walks? I don't want to be out for more than 15 minutes right now.

You're only terrible if he's clearly cold and you don't put a coat on him anyhow, and I assume you're not doing that! Watch for signs like statuing and lifting his paws, wimpering, not wanting to go out, and even shivering (if your dog is shivering, it's DEFINITELY time to put a coat on). If he's trotting along like normal and doesn't seem to mind the weather, then no, you're not terrible for not putting a coat on!

Guest Liz_in_PA
You're only terrible if he's clearly cold and you don't put a coat on him anyhow, and I assume you're not doing that! Watch for signs like statuing NOPE and lifting his paws, NOPE wimpering, NOPE not wanting to go out, NOPE and even shivering (if your dog is shivering, it's DEFINITELY time to put a coat on) and NOPE. If he's trotting along like normal and doesn't seem to mind the weather, then no, you're not terrible for not putting a coat on!

all RIGHT! No guilt for Momma! :lol

Guest ArtysPeople
Age and arthritis should play a factor in deciding what temp. is too cold.

:nod Definitely. Older dogs, under-weight dogs, and ones who are recovering from sickness or surgery definitely get colder faster.

Guest redtweet
Maybe we should just move to Florida.

Thanks!

Chilly in Chambersburg

We're getting in the 20's in northeast Florida tonight...so if you're moving to FL, you'll need to go way south to be warm! :gh_run

Guest myneedlenose

20's? I'll take 20's!! It's been minus 30's up here with the windchill, damned Alberta clipper!!! Mayhem will hold it until his eyes bug out to avoid going outside these days, despite being bundled up better than me, lol.

I too let my hounds let me know when it is too cold. Yesterday it was 13 below in the morning (without factoring in the windchill). The hounds walked into the backyard and almost instantly were "limping". While I do have boots for them, they are still shivering with their warm coats on. That tells me that we will walk another day. Generally they are fine with all their warm gear on until we dip below zero. The other issue we face is salt on the roads.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest Lorraineandcrew

Well, we're in Toronto, Canada, right now it's -30 with the windchill. Your dog will let you know what's up. My big boy goes out and doesn't complain no matter how cold, my little girl won't even come when I pick up her leash right now, she's holds out her paws right away when we are outside, HATES it. But they do need their bathroom breaks, I don't have a fenced yard. Right now it's 15 minutes max at a time - and we are all bundled up, lemme tell ya. I have to find something for her feet though, she really doesn't tolerate it well. If you need a a hat or gloves, your pups need a coat on. As we are not walking as much as we would normally, I play with them inside a lot more to give them stimulation and drain some of the energy. It's a good time to learn new tricks!

Hi!! Another Pa person- Bradford County area. I don't do walks in the cold, and last night, the dogs were all limpy when I came in from a 5 minute bathroom walk outside.

Hopefully spring will be here soon- or at least much warmer temps.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Guest oldNELLIE
So...my dog is VERY furry for a greyhound--Dashiell has no bald patches and I cannot see his skin through the fur on his back and butt.

Living 70 miles away from OP...

If I take the time to put Nellies jacket on I can be sure that we will be out for twice as long. She just doesn't like pooping in her jacket. Who knows why? We take a longish walk in the am and I make sure she is all bundled up for that, but after work when it is just a quick 3-5 min walk, I don't bother. She doesn't like it, and I don't like having to watch her pace and pace and pace and shake and shake and then think about going :rolleyes:

The cold just doesn't seem to bother her.

Funny, DH just asked me this!!!! I said, well Beau is bothering you for a walk, so you know he wants to do it!!!!!

it's really cold here right now for LI. Coldest it's been for 5 years. 10 degrees today.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest IrskasMom

We go to the Park every Day twice ...... Sunshine , Rain , Snow and 20 degrees . My Morty is all bundled up with a

double Fleece Coat with Snood on there. Our Walks are shorter at this frigid Weather but we GO . Backyard Pees are

short at this time to.

We walk every morning for about a 1/2 hr. before I leave for work, I put fleece coats on the girls if it is below 32 degrees and/or windy. and they are fine. I find, if I bundle them up to much they won't do there business, they just play around. In the evening we just go out into the yard no coats, they pee, poop and sometimes run around, usually back in the house in 15 mins. Weekends we go to the park and walk maybe an hour. For these longer walks I put their heavier coats on and they are fine.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest KsFrets

We run 2 miles every morning and 3 miles every evening (I'm a jogger). Maggie has told me no, by not going out the door, twice this year due to cold and snow. Magnus could care less... he loves his run and hasen't missed a single run. It was 6 degrees yesterday morning and 8 degrees this morning. Magnus leads the way, and will turn around to go home if it gets to be too much for him. That's only happend one morning when it was -18 wind chill and snow blowing sideways... we only made a half mile that morning.

Hello from balmy Southern/Central Maine (that's a joke). My rules of thumb for cold-weather walks are:

Under 45 F: light jacket;

Under 35: Winter coat w/ snood rolled back;

Under 15: boots go on;

Under 10: snood gets rolled down over the ears;

Under 5-ish: we walk only until he "does his business" then it's back inside.

I developed these guidelines based on how Arty behaved, and now I check the thermometer outside on our porch before we get suited up for a walk. I noticed, for example, that he wimpers and lifts his paws if we don't put the boots on at 15, and that under 5, he's dragging me back to the house after he's done what needs to be done.

This is pretty much my exact guide line as well. It's been really cold here the last few days, this morning it was -30C (-22F) with the wind chill, needless to say we were out for a very short time.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna