Rudy's New Platelet Count

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

We are still waiting on the tick panel but I got the platelet count today. Here is the history that I have:

11/26/08 PLT 111

01/12/09 PLT 108

How bad is it really? Thank you all.

Edited by argolola

Not bad.

Usually you don't worry unless it gets down around 75-80. Depends a bit on what is normal for the dog, but 100-110 isn't a crisis level; if he cuts himself, he won't keep bleeding because he lacks platelets.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's not much of a drop. I wouldn't even consider it a drop.

I treated my greyhound for Babesia in 2006. His titer was low, but his platelets really were dropping. If I am remembering correctly, they went from about 115 to 80 a few weeks later. That, plus his symptoms, pushed me into treating him immediately. The original count of 115 did not worry my grey-smart vet.

I remember getting the tick panel back very quickly. I'm guessing you will have results soon.

Sending prayers for Rudy. Please let us know what you find out. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I must have missed some of your posts about Rudy. Is he feeling okay? How is he? I don't know too much about TBD. I know Cosmo was part of some random testing and they found she had babesia. She was treated and had never exhibited any symptoms and has always been fine since we've had her. I hope Rudy will be okay.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I would necessarily worry with those numbers. I was worried about Jazz having TBD after her kidney trouble started. Previously she'd never had platelet below 200, but after her incident, she kept bouncing between 100 and 150-180. Each time it bounced down I was afraid it would only go lower. I even had her platelets counted by a person not the machine (whatever that's called), I was so worried. Her tick panel came back clean and I really don't think she was ever exposed.

In a 1 month period, Popo's platelets ranged from 266 to 107 and I've no reason to believe he has any problems.

I hope everything is OK.

That's not much of a drop. I wouldn't even consider it a drop.

It's not. The difference is probably lower than the resolution of the machine, and within norms of samples in all likelihood. Run 5 samples of blood from the same dog taken at the same time, and you might get 110, 108, 112, 115, and 109.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)