When East Meets West

great article :) I think it's really important to have a vet that is open to alternative or Eastern ideas. I posted in the other thread, but probably should also have mentioned that when I get my next greyhound, I will be choosing a vet that has experience with both :) yes, I believe in pain management, but that doesn't always have to mean popping a pill...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

You know I recall many, many years ago when Glucosomine and MSM was not that known about. I remember talking to vets about it and was often told, "it's hog wash" or something to that effect.

I was born and raised in a more natural approach to many things which included your health, injuries and things along those lines. I'm a believer. Not to say that modern medicine is not a super thing but I also agree that a combo of both can be a MAJOR benefit :)

Thanks for the bump in this info, good to have :)

Guest tricolorhounds

My Daughter had suffered with Asthma and chronic Bronchitis through High School and College. After many hospitalizations, she found relief and healing through accupuncture and Chinese herbs.. It's changed her life..

I react strangely to some prescriptions (sleeping medicines can actually CAUSE insomina for me!!!) and so I have been into herbalism for some time, also massage, chiro, and Reiki. My husband is very chemically sensitive so this is important for him too. I've now been getting into homeopathy and a little into flower essences as well.

My view is that Western medicine is great for trauma, surgery, and acute situations but there are often many chronic and ordinary medical needs better met with alternative modalities. My son is teething his last molars, and he would be impossible without homeopathy to help. But when he had a severe ear infection, it was off to the hospital with him.

Great article, Diane!

• 1 year later...

I can't believe it's been over a year since I bumped this up for someone!

I've learned so much since writing this article. Acupuncture works and so does chiropractic. The more I see and the more my "kids" get treated, the more I believe, or actually, know it works.

I also realize how fortunate I am to have two vets who come to the house at a very reasonable cost compared to the rest of the nation (and perhaps world) and are honest. Acupuncture cannot ressurect an animal. It can, however, help get it in sinc or make comfortable some in the last days. I've learned when, how often and when I am crazy (my vets know I am crazy) I let them decide. I've learned there is a difference in alternative vets, just like regular vets--some are better than others. Postponing alternative treatments until the animal is very, very sick is not a great idea. Again, treatments cannot ressurect. Starting treatment before crisis if possible is the best way to go.

I am somewhat surprised that there are not more alternative vets that come to the house. As I said, I am very spoiled and very grateful!

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• 4 months later...

Although there have been quick fixes with both acupuncture and chiropractic, most times it's a process to go through and results depend on many things. Again, I am fortunate to have vets that are extremely good and honest. They don't treat if there is no reason to. They steer me to western medicine when necessary (more than I like sometimes :lol )

Rob Roy: we tried, eastern, western -- just was not to be.

I have no doubt Austin was given months of life (good life) because of acupuncture.

Magic--chiropractic and Wal Mart chickens gave her a good 13 months :)

Every dog is different and so are the results. I think of Marilyn's Sport, diagnosed with kidney failure two years ago. Because of getting fluids, acupuncture and herbs he is still ticking. The end is getting near, but this sweet boy (I just love little old ones :wub:) has had a couple of good years because of the combination of east & west.

Sport.jpg

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Magic--chiropractic and Wal Mart chickens gave her a good 13 months :)

So are Wal Mart chickens eastern or western? :lol

I like the eastern philosophy of looking at the body as a whole. But antibiotics are a wonderful thing. :colgate Much wisdom to be gained from both sides.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest luluaz

:colgate Awesome, Diane!

I am a believer in alternative/traditional, so we begin the journey with Gypsy!

Thank you for bumping this up-

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Mommydog

An excellent article, and one I found very interesting, you're obviously a big acupuncture fan like me. Interesting that you used it for pancreatitis. I'm currently using it for Joe's heliobacter alongside conventional meds, and whilst my vet, Katie, wasn't opposed to acupuncture, she actually put me in touch with a veterinary practioner. I think she thought I'd gone slightly mad at first when I suggested using it. Whilst I knew it was good for pain management and promoting healing, I didn't realise that it also calms the gastric acids. I've never used Chinese herbs before, but once we get the heliobacter under control I'll be looking to use something like that to keep his stomach in good order, as he has some fibrosis of the stomach lining, and also there are some mucous glands which are now barely functioning, due to having overproduced for a very long time.

Great info, thanks for sharing. Glad to know that it's still working for you...better than ever!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest grey_dreams

Thank you for posting this Diane! I'm with you 100%. The alternative vet that we go too actually studied and trained as a regular vet. During the first years of his practice he realized that there was so much more that determined health than was addressed by classical western medicine. So he went back to study alternative medicine. We regularly go to both the alternative vet and the regular vet.

Guest kydie

Three cheers ! I have been using herbal treatments for years, and consulting a holistic vet, I too think for pets and people there are different methods that can give greyt results

Guest 4baddogs

Wonderful article, Diane!

Our primary vet is certified in veterinary acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine and chiropractic. He also has advanced training in natural nutrition, massage therapy and homeopathy. He's also written two books on holistic veterinary medicine.

When we first started going to him, I strongly said "no laying of the hands" and wanted only conventional medicine. Now, whatever it takes to help my furbabies!!!

• 7 months later...

Thanks for bumping this article. This past Summer I worked with the AHVMA and The Center for Integrative Health Care on the first consumer Integrative Health Pet Expo. It was held in MA in conjunction with the AHVMA annual conference. Seems like things are beginning to change over the years and there are more options available to people and their pets. We had tons of great vendors and lectures including Jean Dodds. The real focus was "integrative" health care just as you suggest. In addition, I recently took out health insurance on my newbie. I chose Embrace because they cover acupuncture and other holistic treatments. Glad to see the progress that has been made over the years. Thanks again for the article and continuing to bring it to peoples attention.

• 1 year later...