When East Meets West

Here's the article I wrote for GPA Houston's senior focus newsletter--I thought I'd share with you :)

When East Meets West

and Alternative Solutions

Growing up with western medicine, I, like many others, developed the “quick fix” method of healing. I’m sick, give me a shot or a pill. I hurt, give me a shot or a pill. Whatever is wrong--fix it, and make me better quick!

As the years went by and I developed many allergies to prescription medicines, lost my first Greyhound to a “side effect” of a prescription medicine and was at my wits end with my Doberman’s medical treatment, I started exploring the world of Eastern medicine and alternative medicine both for myself and my dogs. Over the past five years, my attitudes and approach to treatments have changed dramatically. I have come to appreciate both the western ways and eastern ways and recognize the value of combining them. I’d like to share a few experiences to illustrate:

My Doberman Burp was diagnosed with gastritis and helicobacter pylori (more commonly referred to as h pylori). The treatment to eradicate the disorder took almost a year. During that time Chinese herbs were added to help his stomach. I learned through trial and error not to run out of them. He started having chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture treatments which helped him enjoy his favorite passion--squirrel chasing! He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and lived six months after that diagnoses. The western veterinarians were amazed at the fact he was living, much less enjoying life. I am convinced it was the combination of all methods available that kept him happy and going on for those many months. He had prescription medicines he needed for his stomach and heart, supplements for his arthritis, eastern herbs and acupuncture and chiropractic treatments for his arthritis and well being. He was 12 when he went to the bridge--the oldest Dobe I ever owned.

My second Greyhound, Jesse, needed chiropractic adjustments for her neck (that she managed to put out--yep, squirrel chasing). With the adjustments she was able to do without prednisone which was very good since she had developed a kidney problem. When her neck hurt, she’d walk around pressing into anyone that was there “asking” for an adjustment. The trick was learning how to schedule the appointments in a time frame that kept her from getting very painful. There were times when she injured her neck that she had a few days of a muscle relaxant and/or prednisone. She went to the bridge at what I now consider a young age--12.

Last year, Shadow (who was 13 ½ at the time) developed a serious case of pancreatitis. We were not sure he’d make it. He spent the days at the clinic on IV fluids and would come home with me for the night. This went on for three or four days. The first day he was so stressed, he received an acupuncture treatment in addition to fluids and antibiotics. It helped the pain, brought his heart rate down to a reasonable number and allowed him to rest for the balance of that day. He received several acupuncture treatments during the days that followed and as a follow up several weeks later.

Recently SieSie injured her back. Probably doing laps in the house--from the family room, down the hall, up on the bed, repeat the pattern. No one has told her she is 13! With acupuncture and chiropractic treatments she was able to heal using only three days of prednisone.

There are supplements that help the aging (or injured) dog. Chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, vitamins E and C, and MSM are the ones I use for my senior crew. I suggest anyone with a dog that has aging issues to try the supplements and acupuncture and/or chiropractic before using a more radical type of treatment including prescription medicines.

Sometimes treatment can be all Eastern. Many times it’s a combination. Shadow (now 14) and SieSie need chiropractic adjustments once a month to manage their arthritis in addition to their supplements and recently I’ve added acupuncture for them when needed. My other two, Heart and Austin have had only two adjustments in three years. Each dog is different.

A word of caution: make sure that if you use acupuncture and chiropractic methods that you use a practitioner certified by either CHI, IVAS or AVCA. Do NOT use anyone not certified.

Many conditions can be managed with supplements and alternative medicine. In my opinion, it is safer and better for the dogs.

Diane L. Jackson

aka, Burpdog

Burpdog@msn.com

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Wow, that is wonderful! You put a lot of information in there and actually answered questions that I had :P:colgate Very, very good!! It will make for a nice article for the newsletter.

pharaoh.jpg

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> LE 62663

</span></span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> RE 126E

</span></span>

Diane...you really did a wonderful job. Thank you for sharing with us. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Lisa_n_Dusty

Greyt article. I, too, beleive in trying the natural way first and foremost and am fortunate enough to have a vet who feels the same way.

Guest mleg2001

Fantastic info as always, Diane! When Sunny at 4 years old hurt his back a couple months ago, western medicine helped to regain some of his mobility without screaming in pain, he was already on supplements due to a racing injury, but he had lost his zest, there was no more chasing squirrels, no more getting up and snuggling on the couch, no more rowdy early morning wakeups, he simply laid on the floor and was miserable, last weekend he had an adjustment on his leg and spine by a chiropractor, within 24 hours my goofy boy was back to his usual self and then some. :) I knew from personal experience that chiropractic medicine had it's benefits, I spent 2 years twice a week going for adjustments to get back functional use of my arms. But to see the improvement in Sunny in just one treatment was amazing.

Guest BleusysMom

Thanks for the GREAT article, Diane.....I am a fan of acupucture....my 12yr yound rescued yellow lab was moving so poorly, and trying her best to make the Best of her New Life as a Loved House pup...so I gave acupuncture a try, WOW, she might hobble in, but she thinks she is a puppy when she comes out of treatment, and she just adores the acupuncture vet...and the different Chinese Herbs plus other recommended natural goodies have proven themselves...so DO NOT run-out, or even decrease---she is a hurting pup again...so ..I do not understand the ways of acupuncture, but I KNOW it works for the old lady........

Greyt article Diane! :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest rockingship

Diane....the technique of "muscle manipulation", which has some commonalities with and includes chiropractic, has long been used by certain vets and trainers on racing greyhounds.....much to the gratification of many dogs.

Nice post, there are lots of other remedies, treatments and dietary tweaks that science hasn't quite caught up to yet, which work wonderfully, nevertheless.

Edited by rockingship

Guest Greekgreylover

Great article. Having a chinese fiance with a future sister in-law who is a choripractor has been a huge eye opener for me. Between Megan's chinese medicine and home remedies coupled with Wendy's "adjustments," life has been pretty good around here. ;)

They used to laugh at me because I wouldn't let Wendy touch my neck for about, oh, lets say, six months. Now, since Wendy keeps a portable adjustment table here, I am first in line. :) Nice, huh?

Jack

Guest KayaPacosMom

Great article - from the reading I've done, it seems like integrative medicine (blend of the best of Eastern and Western medicine) is the best for hounds AND humans. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this up for a few people.

CHI certification is also fine for acupuncture.

Since I wrote this, SieSie & Shadow & Solo have gone to the bridge. All were helped during their last days with acupuncture & chinese herbs, along with some western prescription meds (pred & torbutrol). Shadow lasted much longer than even the vet thought he would. Again, with these three, conventional & alternative medicine combined extended their lives and kept them comfortable.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest auntiesara

I agree. We use holistic and traditional and most of our osteosarcoma Greys and our Heartworm/kidney failure Grey all outlived their conventional vets' expectations. Excellent article!

Sara

Excellent article, Diane. Thanks to your help and suggestions we've seen a tremendous difference in Bear and he's now living a happy, painfree life.

Lori

Great article, Diane. I've thought about chiropractic for Bea, who cracks and pops when she walks, and occasionally limps after tearing around the backyard with the younger two like a dang fool. The Goddess doesn't know she's almost 12!! :rolleyes::wub:

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...