Swelling In Legs

Guest Fasave

Whew! What a ride! This thread reads like a nail biter! So glad that Safari is home! Sending many, many prayers for you both.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zoolaine
Sending prayers for your sweet boy. Sunny was diagnosed with PLE last July and the "expert" said he would be dead in three months. He is now doing great and his albumin is back into the normal range and his total protein is just below normal. During his endoscopic biopsy the intestines looked very abnormal. Keep fighting for your boy. We are praying for his recovery.

I keep hearing stories like this so I'm trying to stay positive and take it one day at a time. Did Sunny also have PLN? What type of treatment did you pursuit? I'm thrilled that Sunny is doing well. It helps a lot.

Sunny just has Ple and not pln. His endoscopic biopsy was inconclusive so we don't have an underlying cause for his PLE - but it did show his intestines looking abnormal and they bled easily. His ultrasound showed a spot on his gallbladder and a small and splotchy liver but the intestine walls were not thickened, etc. Sunny is on: 750mg Metronidazole, 2mg Budesonide, 50mg Azathioprine, 500mg L-Glutamine, 150mg Zantac. The Budesonide and Azathiprine were cut back to every other day after his last blodwork. I also try to give him Sam-e and probiotics but I have a terrible time remembering because these aren't given with his meals like the other meds.

Sunny is eating Natural Balance L.I.D. Duck and potato. The vet wanted him on a venison and potato but after a few months he wasn't eating that very well so we switched to the duck, which he still seems to like. I also try to add some extra protein to his dinner. Usually boiled buffalo but sometimes tuna, jack makerel, cottage cheese, turkey, pork, or an egg. He was on fish oil but won't eat his food if I try to sneek it in.

His vet recommended the limited diet and prescription meds but I copied a lot of the treatment that Stevie, tigger's dog is undergoing - and also doing well. Tigger has posted some really good threads I would recommend you read. I think it was in the last 2-4 months in the Health and Medical section. If you do a search for Stevie you should be able to find it. Good luck with your pup! I know how scary/frustrating it can be. Keep us updated.

PS - sunny has always had a big bladder but some of his meds make him thirsty so I have noticed he is drinking/peeing more

It's been a week since I've posted but because everyone has been so supportive, I thought the least I owed everyone was an update. Safari came home last Saturday night after three nights in the ICU. He's had a quiet week while we've waited for the biospy results from his scope. He's eating pretty well but still showing signs of being finicky about what he wants. He's also sleeping well.

Yesterday we had our follow up with the IM doc. I was fully prepared for the cancer diagnosis but Safari is cancer free :) Better still, the vet was actually talking about long term plans that included what we would do a year from now. I never thought I would hear plans beyond a few months. The final diagnosis is PLN/PLE/IBD. He's got a lot to deal with but hopefully we can find some good management for him. When I brought him to the e-vet the first time for the swelling in his legs two weeks ago, his weight was 79 pounds. Yesterday he weighed in at 66. HIs normal weight is about 73 so I'm not too concerned as long as I can keep him eating. He's currently on 10 medications but some will be dropping off in the next few days.

Today he's a little restless so I'm not sure if he's bored or just drugged. We're all a little stir crazy right now with the freezing temperatures.

A huge thanks to everyone who wrote in with their advise and stories. I'm sure I'll be looking for more as we move along through life. I will try to remember to keep everyone updated.

Sending continued prayers. Yes, want an update from time to time! :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a relief!! :D

Happy went through a similar train of possible diagnosis, and her's seems to be hormonal. She's doing really well, right now. I hope your baby will have a similarly boring recovery, with lots of time and energy for FUN! :)

Thanks for the update!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest zoolaine

Glad it wasn't cancer. I would recommend getting your meds somewhere cheap, such as Costco or Walmart you'll be spending enough on bloodwork, etc Hang in there and keep loving your boy!

Good news indeed :D

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!