Anxiety Attacks

Guest janniegirl

Guest janniegirl

The neighbor behind me LOVES fireworks. New Year's Eve me & my canine kids had been asleep for about an hour or more when they started. Not just your typical bang! bang! bang! I'm talking about the huge sky displays. This went on for about 15-20 minutes. Gage was frantic!! She paced, panted & quivered the whole time trying to find a safe place. Her anxiety seemed to transfer to the other 2 greys who normally aren't bothered. I have 1 room equipped with a D.A.P. unit, but that didn't seem to comfort her this time. She finally ended up in the bathtub with shower doors partially closed.

Someone told me to give Gage Benadryl beforehand to calm her down. But, reading the directions, I see it is used to treat allergies, sneezing, watery eyes, etc. Does it react differently in dogs than with humans? Did I misunderstand the name of the medication to give?

Can this fear of "loud noises" be cured or controlled? HOW??

Benedryl has a sedating effects on humans and canines. That is the primary reason it is used in cases of anxiety. You got the story right. I wouldn't worry about using it for this purpose, though I wouldn't do it every day.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I have 4 hounds. One of them (teddy) prefers not to hear it, but copes, 2 of them get upset but somehow manage (Beau and CHloe) but Polli, my 10 year old brood mom can not tolerate it. The first time we saw her reaction, I was afraid she would have a heart attack. It was so pathetically sad and hard to watch and no matter how I tried to comfort her, her fears were out of control. There was nothing I could do but administer valium which helped so much. Now, we always have it in the house. I tried the cape, a tee shirt and it did nothing.

We have a firecracker freak who lives 2 doors away and fortunately, it is not legal here so I make sure I call the police at the first sound off, because you know if there is one, there is more to come. He only does it for July 4 but to an extreme and because we live on the water, they like to set them off into the water.

Anyway, make sue you have valium in the house. Ask your vet. 10mg is all they need. They handle it differently than humans.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SoulsMom

Just want to add, be extra cautious if she's outside and startled by the fireworks. A scared dog can clear a 6ft fence easy. Also watch for nervousness when on a walk. If she startles she could slip her collar and bolt.

Guest SusanP

I have two thunder phobic dogs, and medications have had only very limited usefulness with them. My immediate thought would be to call the police and report your neighbors for setting off fireworks in town--I can't imagine that's legal! (or, if they are nice neighbors who will listen to you, you can tell them how badly they frightened Gage and ask if they could do the fireworks someplace else next year?

By the way, have we met? I'm Sylvia's mother...!

Just want to add, be extra cautious if she's outside and startled by the fireworks. A scared dog can clear a 6ft fence easy. Also watch for nervousness when on a walk. If she startles she could slip her collar and bolt.

Excellent and very valid point. Double check collar on walk to make sure she can't slip and don' allow her out in back by herself when and if they are being set off.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

If fireworks are legal where you live, you're stuck with them.

If they aren't legal, call the cops every time they start setting them off.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytloves

If it only happens during the holidays like News Year and July 4th, there really is not any training you can do. I always just stay home and keep them inside. They have their lost potty break before dark. Then I just ignore the racket outside, as long as I'm not stressed they stay pretty calm. You could give them Valium if they are really too anxious. I would not go the Benadryl route, I think that is way overused. Use a drug meant to calm them down, Valium.

Guest janniegirl
I have two thunder phobic dogs, and medications have had only very limited usefulness with them. My immediate thought would be to call the police and report your neighbors for setting off fireworks in town--I can't imagine that's legal! (or, if they are nice neighbors who will listen to you, you can tell them how badly they frightened Gage and ask if they could do the fireworks someplace else next year?

By the way, have we met? I'm Sylvia's mother...!

Yes, of course we've met!!! Hi Susan! Did you recognize the name Gage?

I've thought of calling the police in the past, but haven't for many reasons. They are strange neighbors & I rarely see them out in the yard. We don't "neighbor". The fireworks went on for a solid week around the 4th of July. Police help is very minimal. And, I figure, by the time they got to their door the fireworks would be over. They would tell the people they received a complaint & tell them not to do it. (yeah right) (they'll say, well, okay...........till next time)

I'm new to greys and haven't had any experience with this, but the wonderful trainer/dog psychologist Patricia McConnell wrote in a recent issue of Bark Magazine about counter-conditioning a thunder-phobic dog of hers by giving her extra-yummy "thunder treats" and using a happy, exciting voice every time there was a clap. It didn't fix things right away but really helped over time. Might be worth trying -- make good things happen when the fireworks are going off.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I would definitely talk to my vet the next time you're in (and before the next scheduled fireworks display) about a prescription for Valium or another anti-anxiety medication. If she's really frantic, and since fireworks happen so infrequently, there's no real way to counter-condition. And she might be at risk to really hurt herself if she gets scared enough.

Benedryl can work for some dogs, just like it only affects some people. It's commonly used in over-the-counter pain/sleep pills (like Tylenol PM) to help people with that problem. However, I don't think it's really strong enough to counter a full-blown panic attack. The same for DAP and Rescue Remedy.

If fireworks are illegal in your state/city, I would call the police every time they set them off. If the police have to come to the same address enough times, they will eventually issue the fines that go along with breaking the law. That might help the problem some.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would definitely talk to my vet the next time you're in (and before the next scheduled fireworks display) about a prescription for Valium or another anti-anxiety medication. If she's really frantic, and since fireworks happen so infrequently, there's no real way to counter-condition. And she might be at risk to really hurt herself if she gets scared enough.

Benedryl can work for some dogs, just like it only affects some people. It's commonly used in over-the-counter pain/sleep pills (like Tylenol PM) to help people with that problem. However, I don't think it's really strong enough to counter a full-blown panic attack. The same for DAP and Rescue Remedy.

If fireworks are illegal in your state/city, I would call the police every time they set them off. If the police have to come to the same address enough times, they will eventually issue the fines that go along with breaking the law. That might help the problem some.

greysmom :D

Agreed. The more you call the police and explain your situation, the more PO the police are going to be at having to go make a visit to these people. I know, I do it every year. And it is getting better and shorter lived. I pray for rain every July 4th.