Black Jack - Absessed Tooth?

bjnno1

Took a couple of pics of the picture my vet has hanging on the wall. I love looking at it.

ANATOMY OF A GREYHOUND

DSC01162.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KyGrey

Hope he feels better soon. If he's scratching at his face is he allowed to have Benedryl? That would help with the itching if it's starting to heal.

Guest FullMetalFrank

LOL BJ I just ordered that chart your vet has, I love it! I have never seen it before, did a google search and found it here:

http://www.anatomycharts.com.au/

It is a little spendy but really neat! It's about $28 USD...

I hope Black Jack is feeling all better, his little face looks a lot better already.

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Nah, I don't want to give him any other medications other than what his vet prescribed.

Since it's so close to his eye, he wants me to just leave it alone but I can dab it with a warm cloth a couple of times a day. He said I could use neosporen if I have to, but I'll just wait and see for right now. I don't want him getting it into his eye, ya know.

LOL BJ I just ordered that chart your vet has, I love it! I have never seen it before, did a google search and found it here:

http://www.anatomycharts.com.au/

It is a little spendy but really neat!

I hope Black Jack is feeling all better, his little face looks a lot better already.

Cool!!! :colgate I know it's awesome!! I always stare at it when we are waiting in the exam room.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Guest Greensleeves

I'm totally shocked they would have you wait TWO WEEKS on such an issue! We've been through this now (counts...) three or four times (thank you, genetics! We have an entire set of littermates, and five of the nine have broken this same tooth--the fourth premolar, whose roots touch/enter the sinus cavity), and they *always* get us in immediately to section and remove the tooth--like within one or two days. The only time we've had to wait was once over the 4th of July weekend, and once when they couldn't decide if it was an abscessed tooth or a bee sting (in the space of a morning, half of Rusty's head swelled up until he looked like a bull terrier on one side). That swelling *is* infection (although usually the swelling *itself* is simply inflammation from the infection itself; we've never had to wait until pus forms to get treatment!).

As far as pain goes, we've had different experiences. Rusty's *looked* the very worst, but he never even reacted to it; it was as if he had no clue there was a problem. Jasmine refused to chew on that side of her mouth for at least two months before the abscess formed (we'd had her checked, and our vet couldn't see anything wrong until he got in to do the dental), and Flint was visibly sensitive to the touch when he had it. He'd also exhibited all the symptoms of a pending *ear infection* prior to it happening--head shaking, rubbing his ears on the floor, acting stoopid :rolleyes: So, yes: it can be VERY painful! I bet your vet's never had one himself. ;)

Edited by Greensleeves

Grenies Pill Pockets to the rescue!!!! They worked like a charm!!! A little pricey, but hey, if it gets him to gobble down his medication with no problems, it's worth it!!!

I'm totally shocked they would have you wait TWO WEEKS on such an issue! We've been through this now (counts...) three or four times (thank you, genetics! We have an entire set of littermates, and five of the nine have broken this same tooth--the fourth premolar, whose roots touch/enter the sinus cavity), and they *always* get us in immediately to section and remove the tooth--like within one or two days. The only time we've had to wait was once over the 4th of July weekend, and once when they couldn't decide if it was an abscessed tooth or a bee sting (in the space of a morning, half of Rusty's head swelled up until he looked like a bull terrier on one side). That swelling *is* infection (although usually the swelling *itself* is simply inflammation from the infection itself; we've never had to wait until pus forms to get treatment!).

As far as pain goes, we've had different experiences. Rusty's *looked* the very worst, but he never even reacted to it; it was as if he had no clue there was a problem. Jasmine refused to chew on that side of her mouth for at least two months before the abscess formed (we'd had her checked, and our vet couldn't see anything wrong until he got in to do the dental), and Flint was visibly sensitive to the touch when he had it. He'd also exhibited all the symptoms of a pending *ear infection* prior to it happening--head shaking, rubbing his ears on the floor, acting stoopid :rolleyes: So, yes: it can be VERY painful! I bet your vet's never had one himself. ;)

Please don't talk bad about my vet. I have known him pretty much my whole life and I have the utmost trust in him and his veterinary practice.

The reason I am waiting is because I gave him aspirin. Aspirin is a blood thinner and I don't want to take a chance that my dog might to bleed to death when he pulls his teeth.

Trust me, my vet has met me at his office before hours and after hours and goes above and beyond for my critters. He (and his wife) are truly some of the most caring, thoughtful people I have ever met.