Henry Either Broke Or Dislocated His Dewclaw

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

I woke up to see this~

100_1877-1.jpg

I called the vet as soon as I saw this, unfortunately dh s still in tub and couldnt help me on the phone and being partially deaf I wasnt able to understand much of what she was saying. It sounded like it depends on how much pain the dog is in? What is done for broken dewclaws? Dh will be calling the vet back as soon as he is dressed.

I never trimmed this claw cause I figured it wasn't necessary to trim dewclaws. Now I think I should have.

Edited by EmilyAnne

They need to be trimmed just like any other nail. Tanner did that once and all the vet did was cut it back and wrap it.If you don't keep it trimmed, it's easy to catch it on things and then rip it. Hoping it's an easy fix for Henry! Should be. And please give that handsome boy some extra hugs from his fans out here

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I always trim dew claws but I also have a JRT who has torn her out three times now. There really is nothing to do about it. We just watch it for any signs of infection and just keep the area clean. Isis has also puller hers where it looked like the photo you just posted. It eventually healed on its own.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest EmilyAnne
They need to be trimmed just like any other nail. Tanner did that once and all the vet did was cut it back and wrap it.If you don't keep it trimmed, it's easy to catch it on things and then rip it. Hoping it's an easy fix for Henry! Should be. And please give that handsome boy some extra hugs from his fans out here

Do they need pain meds and or anti inflammatories for this?

Do they need pain meds and or anti inflammatories for this?

I would say no

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I wouldn't trim it right now, it's probably tender. You could take out an emory board and file the tip so that it doesn't snag anything. Do you have any ace bandages or vet wrap? Just wrap it for the day and then tomorrow try to trim it. My own opinion is that it doesn't warrant a vet appt. but it is your dog so do what you feel is right.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest EmilyAnne
I wouldn't trim it right now, it's probably tender. You could take out an emory board and file the tip so that it doesn't snag anything. Do you have any ace bandages or vet wrap? Just wrap it for the day and then tomorrow try to trim it. My own opinion is that it doesn't warrant a vet appt. but it is your dog so do what you feel is right.

I tried with a Dremel. Depending on what vet says, I think I may just do your idea.

katie's vet wrapped up her dewclaw like so:

186266181_UoVmX-M.jpg

the heart is optional. :)

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne

OK, dh got off the phone with vet. I am to wrap it up, not too tight though, and keep the claw trimmed well.

So I learned something new today. You ARE supposed to trim that dewclaw. Oops. I'll be doing a blog entry later in case theres anybody else out there that also did not know this.

Guest EmbersDad

tell that boy to take it easy when busting a move to the grateful dead! :lol glad it isnt serious and i hope those 2 shows arrived safely.

Guest EmilyAnne
tell that boy to take it easy when busting a move to the grateful dead! :lol glad it isnt serious and i hope those 2 shows arrived safely.

:rofl Yes, they did arrive safely yesterday!!!! :cool

Thank you!!!!!

Just sending good thoughts for Henry...

I cut all our hounds claws and use an emeryboard on Snowy's dew claws as he tolerates this. He is a bit of a wuss 'yelpy' with them inparticular (very anxious when I go near them with clippers) something from his previous life maybe.....

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Sending hugs to your little man. We always trim dew claws...However...the vet that my daughter takes her grey Chancie Pants to...does KNOT trim dew claws...I was shocked and hers are getting long. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest tobinhr

I really hate dewclaws. I hadn't had any experience with them until Joey--Mac's must have been removed. Joey has already torn hers and is sporting a hot pink bandage...

I was thinking about having them removed when she's spayed but somebody posted (on another board) that they were like "thumbs" to dogs and it would be hard on them to remove them.

I have never seen Joey use hers to work the remote control, open a door OR use the computer. So what gives??

Jan

Joey, the dew claw drop out

Guest nerak254

I don't understand why they aren't removed when they are puppies. I understand that it may be very painful as an older dog, but young puppy? Missy has a dew claw that looks just like that one and it catches on stuff all the time.

Guest ChasesMum

Some breeders (of many breeds) do have them removed as puppies, but the only way I've seen it done on NEW NEW NEW pups is with a pair of foreceps crushing it at the base and the vet flicks the dewclaw itself off with his thumbnail. Older dogs need them removed surgically.

I would hazard that with greys it might provide some traction when they corner and maybe this is why they arent removed as often? just a random thought that may or may not be anywhere near accurate!

Guest paulamariez

Bueller did the same exact thing about a month ago and his claw wasn't even that long. We had to take him to the vet because I wrapped it and left the nail hanging because he would scream bloody murder whenever we touched the nail. But it ended up getting slightly infected, including the skin underneath the nail, so the vet had to chop the nail off and covered it with some antibiotic stuff and we left it wrapped for another 24 hours and it was fine. So just keep an eye on it.

Guest EmilyAnne
Bueller did the same exact thing about a month ago and his claw wasn't even that long. We had to take him to the vet because I wrapped it and left the nail hanging because he would scream bloody murder whenever we touched the nail. But it ended up getting slightly infected, including the skin underneath the nail, so the vet had to chop the nail off and covered it with some antibiotic stuff and we left it wrapped for another 24 hours and it was fine. So just keep an eye on it.

When they chop the nail off, do they give a local anesthetic? I havent said anything about this yet in the thread, but I'm worried about pain triggering a Grand-Mal. By the time we went out and got the vet wrap and put it on him, the nail came off some more.

Oh Henry! Poor baby! Hope it's not painful.

Beau, Chloe and teddy have their dewclaw but Polli does not.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

OW.

If they trim it back past the quick, then some pain meds wouldn't be a bad idea. No reason they couldn't give a local before doing it, if that's what you wanted. That said, if the nail itself comes off, all you'll need to do is protect the quick until the nail regrows.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.