Crying

Guest VirginiaGreys

Guest VirginiaGreys

I'm not trying to panic....

Dodge started a little of this crying a few days ago...but as the days have gone by...the frequency has increased. He's not limping, but I can see a little favoritism on the right front shoulder. I think he may have pulled a muscle? I had some deramaxx 10MG (sp?) leftover from Snowie a few months ago..when she was slightly favoring a leg...she got better quickly...so I stopped and she's fine. I gave him a half a pill today...just like the directions said for her.

The crying happens when he goes to lay down or get up or off the sofa/beds...even dog beds. At times he just stands because I think he's afraid of the pain that he'll feel?...so he'll stand for a bit. I was able to get him up on the sofa...and he's fine once he's laying or standing...it's just the motion and muscles that it's required to get into those positions that he'll cry when he's moving into those positions.

So...does this sound like a muscle pull in the shoulder or any other similar experiences that I should think about besides muscle pulls?

I'm really am hoping it's not the medical problems that everyone wants to avoid...and I'm trying hard to not think about those problems.

Deramaxx doesn't come in 10mg. 25, 50 75 and 100. Maybe you have 100mg?

How much does he weigh? Polli weighs 53 and gets 50mg

Beau weighs 64 and gets 74

Teddy @ 85 gets 100mg (sometimes 75)

If he is not better by Monday- I would definitely take him in and rest the leg in the meantime. He is obviously in pain if he is crying. You know how stoic most greys are!

Hope it's nothing but a soft tissue injury or sprained muscle.

Prayers and good thoughts for you and your boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sounds like a muscle pull but like Robin said, if he's still favoring and crying I would take him in just to be sure. The Deramaxx should help but what has happened to me in the past is when I've given pain meds before getting them in, it was hard for the vet to see where the pain was. it's a catch 22. Prayers that he feels better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Hugs and prayers for Dodge! Let's hope it goes away by tomorrow.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest VirginiaGreys
Deramaxx doesn't come in 10mg. 25, 50 75 and 100. Maybe you have 100mg?

How much does he weigh? Polli weighs 53 and gets 50mg

Beau weighs 64 and gets 74

Teddy @ 85 gets 100mg (sometimes 75)

If he is not better by Monday- I would definitely take him in and rest the leg in the meantime. He is obviously in pain if he is crying. You know how stoic most greys are!

Hope it's nothing but a soft tissue injury or sprained muscle.

Prayers and good thoughts for you and your boy.

You're right...the label was rubbed off some in that area...but I made out another 0....

Dodge weighs about 74lbs.

Guest ChasesMum

our experience with shoulder pain causing crying wasnt a good outcome. Hopefully yours is far better!

I wouldnt give pain meds the day of the exam, for the reasons mentioned above.

Guest VirginiaGreys
I just put Dodge on my prayer list.

thank you....I am trying not to worry...but my heart jumps when he cries out.

The cries are sharp and short cries...and don't last long...but the other hounds are being extra nice to him too....which is endearing...that they will gladly give up their bed if he decides he wants that particular bed at the moment.

Bet it's the usual muscle pull in the neck/shoulder area.....at least I hope it's just that. My old girl Ragsy used to suffer from this every so often and I have had other dogs with the same thing in the past. I found gentle but firm circular massaging right down the neck, shoulder and leg on the affected side seemed to help a lot.

Sue from England

Guest VirginiaGreys

This morning I actually saw him run towards some birds...so the deramaxx might be helping to take the edge off and let it heal now...if it is indeed a pulled muscle. He has not cried today so that is another good sign!

I'm going to continue with the deramaxx for a few more days...then take him off...and see how he is without it ...if he starts crying a lot again..then to the vet we go.

Dodge can be a bit of a drama queen....but I could actually see the pain in his face yesterday and the worry because of being afraid to lay down...in fear of the pain he'd feel again.

Hope he is on the mend now.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VirginiaGreys

I hadn't given him today's pill yet...but then I heard him give out a cry...so he's gotten his half pill for today....hoping that will help him today. It sure would be good for my heart if it's just a pulled muscle.

Guest joedogs_mom

I would carefully watch him and might even go ahead and take him to the vet -- this could be a disc issue...we had to put our Joe down 3 weeks ago because of terrible pain caused by ongoing issues with Invertebral Disc Disease. Joe had these problems off and on for 2 years then 3 months ago it got terribly worse and he never got better. I will be thinking of you -- let us know.

Glad Dodge exhibited improvement this morning. Could be anything at this point as suggested in previous posts but you should know within a couple of days whether the condition is resolving itself or not. Follow your instincts - you know Dodge better than anyone and even if he is the king of daytime drama, after watching him for a day or two, you'll figure out whether he needs to be seen by your Vet sooner rather than later. Hugs for you and prayers and healing light for Dodge.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest VirginiaGreys

Thanks for all the prayers! They helped and I only gave Dodge the half pill for two days. He didn't have one yesterday or today...and the last time that he cried was yesterday morning. :)

Must have been a pulled muscle...which I am so thankful for....and that I had some duramaxx to help him through it.