Eggs In Stool?

So, I brought home Hector- an English foxhound, although he's so skinny he is built more like a greyhound, keeled chest and all. One of my buddies at the pet store mentioned parasites- the thought of which never occurred to me.

When he finally did his business, there were no living worms (that I could see), but there were some small, oddly-shaped bits of white present. They weren't round, but they were rounded. A few were triangular, but none were spherical. I have no idea what they feed down at the pound, so this could be some bone matter or something like that.

Any suggestions as to whether these white bits might be a problem or not?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Two years old. Haven't seen any fleas (gah! now I brought fleas home!), but he's dirty implying he was kept outside. He's not scratching, and has been at the pound since the 2nd so he's probably been dipped if he already needed it, right?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest KipperGrey

I would call the shelter and see if they treated for any worms. I know at my HS they routinely treat most animals for worms. Its possible you are seeing the results? Take a sample to the vet. I don't think fecals are too expensive.

Guest BlackandBrindle

For hooks, I've been told to spray the area with bleach water and pick up poop immediately. When my cairn had tapes a bajillion years ago they just gave him wormer and we picked up the yard. I don't remember having to treat the yard.

Guest lizmego

Here's a pretty good website that shows photos of various worms, protozoa, viruses, etc under the microscope. Maybe you can compare?

If you have the funds, I say a good vet visit, since you don't know how long you'll have him at your house.

Sounds like tapes. He should have two rounds of Drontal Plus (praziquantel, pyrantel pamoate and febantel) - one now, one 21 days from now (assuming he's still with you at that point). Drontal Plus is a broad spectrum and covers other parasites - it's a good one to use for general worming. If you want to worm only for tapes, Droncit (praziquantel only) is the ticket.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest greyvettech

Tapeworms are segmented so it sounds like tapeworm segments- All it takes is for him to swallow one flea with the tapeworm larvae and he can become infected with tapeworms... ekkkk luckily, droncit can kill the tapeworms.Usually only one dosing is needed but he can reinfect himself as soon as two weeks later if he swallows another flea. just a couple pills and he'll be fine- Is he on heartworm prevention?, if he is consistantly on hw prevention, then you know it's tapes since most heartworm preventions take care of hooks,whips,round worms...

Edited by greyvettech

Guest longdogs

I would automatically give him a Capstar and an all-wormer unless I was sure the pound had done it. In fact I'd do at least the Capstar anyway. Not sure what you saw. If they didn't ring any bells it might just be something he's eaten. Tapeworm segments always look like tapeworm segments to me.

anytime I bring a new dog home I make a vet appt for a 'well dog' exam just to set up a file and get whatever records the dog came with entered into the vets system.

If I were you I would make that appt and have it checked out.

Guest LindsaySF

Were they moving at all?

It could be tapeworm proglottids, specifically Dipylidium caninum, the flea tapeworm. Do a search online and you can get some gross pics to compare. :D

If you decide to look at them under a scope, squish them a tiny bit under a glass cover slip and mix with a few drops of water. You need to break the proglottid open to release the egg packets. Let me know if you see anything!

~Lindsay~

(worm geek)

No movement at all. Very small- well under 1mm diameter. I put a few under a low power scope, and nothing was moving. They looked the same as they did when eyeballing them, except- er- larger. So, I tore one apart with forceps (my fine-tip forceps look huge in comparison), and stuff came out.

When I did a wet mount under brightfield at 100x, they looked like starch grains. There was no color to them, no signs of them being eggs. The grains were irregular in shape, but more or less spheroidal. I got him vaccinated for bordetella, and I showed the vet the sample and he didn't know what they were either- just recommended a parasite test.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Bits of corn meal?

Only tapeworm segments I've ever seen in poop were mobile. Wiggle wiggle slither.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Not sure what shelter you picked him up from, but when I volunteered for the AZ Humane Society-they fed the dogs whatever food was donated to them. So there was no consistant diet. There were poops of many colors up there.... :lol

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart